1.    #1  
    Armchair quarterbacking, perhaps, but HP should be including the Touchstone charger with the Touchpad. That would have created some differentiation with the iPad, highlighted a key feature, and justified the price.

I probably would still be waiting to decide whether to buy a Pre3 or not (perhaps another strategic mistake by not releasing together) and to see various comparability issues, but I'll bet this would have helped the buzz for the new product.
    it would be nice, maybe they will do that in a month or so. you never know.

for now, it is what it is.
    I said in an earlier thread that HP would actually make more money if they included one with each phone/tablet. Why? Once people use one they want to use more. Most of my colleagues never bought one and after I got them one for bday or Christmas they told me how they now have 4 or 5.

At the very least it would have been a good incentive for pre-ordering as opposed to it not even being available at launch...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'd rather take the lower price point. I have Touchstone chargers at home and the office for my phone, but don't have the space at either for the much larger TouchPad Touchstone charging dock.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    If they're planning to compete at the higher price point to "match" the iPad, hopeful they have already encouraged some bundle specials with their retail outlets to add the Touchstone and other items without increasing the price.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah. a bundle would be nice
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    For me they should've included the BT keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    For me they should've included the BT keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just for me they should have included a Sprint Pre3 and a leprechaun's pot o' gold.

Where the gold at?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    HP is most likely barely making money off the first round of TouchPads. I read an article a couple months ago stating that Apple has cornered the market on tablet components so much that everybody else is fighting for the crumbs, and can't meet the same profit margins as the iPads. This is why the Xoom launched for $800. Add on the fact that Apple owns the end-to-end consumer experience from device to software to music store, and this means they're making money hand over fist, compared to everybody else.

Sure, HP has tons of cash in their coffers and can afford to take a loss to make up some market share, but I think they are already doing this by matching Apple's price points.
    I doubt that including a Touchstone would help with sales very much. People are most concerned about what the Tablet can do, software wise... If they like the Touchpad they might eventually buy a Touchstone (and other accessories) but no amount of accessories in the world will help sell a device that doesn't fit the customer's needs.
    I was hoping for this a while back, not expecting but hoping, I think it would have been a great incentive and included feature. Sadly was not to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I said in an earlier thread that HP would actually make more money if they included one with each phone/tablet. Why? Once people use one they want to use more. Most of my colleagues never bought one and after I got them one for bday or Christmas they told me how they now have 4 or 5.

At the very least it would have been a good incentive for pre-ordering as opposed to it not even being available at launch...
    Right, its hard to tell if you are going to be able to get your hands on any accessories during the launch. I know they ran out of the touchstones at the sprint store when they released the Pre minus. I now have three touchstones and think I will need 4 touchstones for the Touchpad.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    accessories are popular with manufacturers "because" they are actually low cost high profit margin. The cost of a touchstone charger and cover adds $100+ to the device itself (right now). Inclusion of these would have caused the perceived value to go up in a consumer's eyes while keeping the price at parity with iPad2.

I think it was mentioned else where too that no one just buys one touchstone. However, you have to own one to buy into wireless charging. Not including it was a mistake on Palm's part and HP is repeating it.
    I'm sure some stores will offer the TouchPad with the Touchstone just like it happened with the Pre.
    Including common accessories in bundles will come. The idea at launch is to see how many you can sell separately. The reasons are -

- Higher profitability
    - Higher profitability
    and
    - Higher profitability

Once any of the above don't keep pace with expected sales numbers and attachment figures, they will bundle them.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

devices don't sell gadgets... Gadgets sell devices. I think a touchstone should be included in every device palm makes... At least as a promotion like at&t did with the pre plus.

touchstone= razor

webos devices = the blades...

IMHO
    Having tried shaving with a razor without blades, I do agree.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I've been in the "$499 is a fine price" camp, but I agree with this post that the Touchstone should have been included or much cheaper for the 1st one. It's one of the clear differentiators, and having it be an accessory that half the people don't buy will hurt initial impressions. I hope they include one with any review units they send to journalists.

I also agree that Touchstone is one of those things that you have to use to appreciate. Many won't spend $80 when they can "just plug it in", but once you get use to it being at your at home, you want another for your nightstand, at work, etc. Plus it locks you in just a little bit - once reason I'm reluctant to an Android phone is it won't work on the 4 Touchstones I have.