Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My current status became thus:

1 FB356UT #ABA HP TouchPad US 32GB wifi SB Commercial 1 0
    2 FB343AA #AC3 Cover/Stand HP TouchPad 1 0

and I seem to have lost the other two accessories but I was going to cancel anyway.

Seems from what Europe reported, the Cover/Stand may be shipping with [not a statement]

My last status was Shipping July 1 with receipt July 7, despite the promise of overnight so it seems like things are now moving along. There are deeper status tracking but they are all empty. My order was at 8:45EDT the 19th from SB.
    PalmV - Kyo 6035 - 7135 - 650 - 700wx - pre+clocked - pre+2.1 mod - and no Pre3 time to get a Pre2?

June 19 - 8:45am - early order Touchpad. Love it! Used fire sale refund to get another. Rest paid for all accessories. Trying to teach the wife to love it.

support WebOs internals!
    Just Pre-ordered and the process was painless thanks to Thawkth. This community is why I can leave webOS more than anything.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    I had a surreal experience at one BBY around here, that went from being told some BBY stores are classified as "international" or catering to tourists (and therefore, don’t usually participate in pre-orders; nevermind that's nonsense, since I've pre-ordered from that very same store many times) to webOS being simply a "skin atop PalmOS".

I s-h-i-t you not, I really couldn't make this up.

But most surprising of all, it all ended with a pre-order sheet in my hands, knowing that I am literally the first on the pre-order list at that store and with a $50 promotional credit for a "tablet pre-order deal".

I'm telling you, it was beautiful.

So early Saturday morning (11:30am for me; it's the only day we get to do this, with kids even), with my wife and kids doing their thing in the nearby mall, I drive to BBY with the hope of getting my pre-order done, but also with the full knowledge that BBY would do everything, however unknowingly, to fskc up something the process.

Stopping by the mobile section, where the tablets are (and a lone Veer with a dead battery and unplugged charger -that magnetic charger might be good in regular use, but it's a b!tch on a retail display), I asked for a TouchPad pre-order. As usual with others here, that blank stare came up again, but at least the girl directs me to the Computers sections, since apparently they can do pre-orders from there only.

There, I'm greeted by a nice fellow (I give that BBY store this, though. Not a single rep was anything but attentive, even if they didn't have with much knowledge on the subject) who says they do not have anything on the TouchPad, though he’s familiar with the product. He also claims they'll have training at a local eatery/arcade with a number of their reps, hosted by HP. He was excited enough about the event, though not so much for the prize -they'll be raffling a TouchPad.

When asked why he didn't care for it, his nugget was "webOS is nothing but a skin atop PalmOS. They won't get anywhere". Now, I honestly walked in to the store almost expecting some misplaced advice re. webOS/TouchPad; I had rehearsed in my head some arguments as to why webOS is a worthy OS.

But nothing prepared me for this. "webOS is nothing but a skin atop PalmOS. They won't get anywhere". How in the name of all that's holy and good on this green earth could I even address that? I simply nodded and said "please Google webOS and don't say that again". He actually thought I was joking and had a good laugh, though I was already walking towards a computer to pull up this thread for the pre-order instructions.

He followed me and I showed him this thread. He said "wow, that's pretty cool, let me try that”. And I actually see him entering the SKU but nothing came up -but I really couldn't tell what/where he entered that, so he might have been somewhere completely unrelated.

With that, I asked if his manager was nearby, and he was actually close by, so he came in within a minute. He greeted me and once we explained the pre-order ordeal, he kinda shook his head and said the second strangest thing I heard that day (and probably in a while. Really? “webOS is nothing but a skin atop PalmOS??"): this BBY doesn't usually participate in pre-orders. Claiming that due to its location (it's not near an airport, major hotels, etc), they’re geared towards tourists, who usually don't participate in pre-orders.
    I again felt powerless by the sheer awesomeness before me, and I failed to mention the many times I had pre-orders at that very store -from games, to phones, consoles, etc.

But no, nothing came out. Only emptiness.

I said thanks and walked towards their "Magnolia" section, where they have amazingly comfy lazy boys and sell overpriced TVs and receivers by beige polo-wearing guys giving bad advice to folks with too much available credit on their plastics. While relaxing there and pulling up the number of another nearby BBY on Google Maps, I get approached by a rep, asking me if I was the one asking about pre-ordering the TouchPad.

After ensuring we weren't confusing some feminine hygiene product (it was a weird day, give me a break), he took me to their service desk/Geek Squad dept. Again, a very nice fellow had already a print out of a BBY memo, 5 pages long with pictures (it helps) on how to proceed with the TouchPad pre-order. He was being helped by another nice girl, who I owe $50 now. Oh, and their off-duty supervisor also stopped by and helped save the day, when a manager almost botched a void. I told you, it was beautiful, read on.

At the Geek Squad desk, the nice gent took my info and asked "16 or 32"? After taking my selection and my name and phone number, I paid $50 for the gift card (and reminded that I could return the unused card for a full refund) and was about to be on my way when the girl noted "John (not his real name), you need to also give him the $50 promo on table pre-orders, it was right on the screen".

They have to call a manager to void it, but when this lady manager tried to do it (not the earlier manager, I guess they have several managers there?), she couldn't understand how I could get a $50 promo credit if I had already paid $50 for a gift card. They go back and forth for a bit when another manager (probably on his day off, he wasn't in BBY uniform) walked by and tried to help. He recognized the $50 offer and actually said "we now have to honor it". It was amazing.

A few minutes go by when I finally get handed the TouchPad pre-order sheet, a $50 gift card and my receipt, confirming the TouchPad pre-order and a $50 credit.

Simply amazing. And frustrating. And maddening. And tiring.

GG BBY!
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/26/2011 at 11:13 PM.
    I guess there is a choice.
    Order on line from whomever and make it painless
    OR
    Drop around to all the stores and be able to write unbelievable stories.

Me, I ordered from HP, and sit at home with a cocktail and enjoy every story.

BTW, I posted my status as of the 24th above and there still is no change in the deeper details, IF they ever fill them in.
    PalmV - Kyo 6035 - 7135 - 650 - 700wx - pre+clocked - pre+2.1 mod - and no Pre3 time to get a Pre2?

June 19 - 8:45am - early order Touchpad. Love it! Used fire sale refund to get another. Rest paid for all accessories. Trying to teach the wife to love it.

support WebOs internals!
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jondough View Post
    OR

BTW, I posted my status as of the 24th above and there still is no change in the deeper details, IF they ever fill them in.
    every day my details update to that day saying that expected shipping date is that day and delivery date is the next day so today mine says:
    Shipping date: June 27, 2011
    Delivery date: June 28, 2011

as long as on July 1 it actually ships and I get it the 2nd I will be happy or even if I don't get it till the 5 (because of the holiday) I will still be happy!
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
    @Carioca_FL

Glad your "fun" was at least rewarded with a $50 credit. Hope they honor that when you actually check out with the TP.

BB, Wally World, etc issues like this is why I decided to order from Amazon. [Edit: oh, plus the sales tax savings = TouchStone] It shows up when it shows up sometime starting July 6th. Good enough. If Amazon screws up, I know they will make amends, as they have done for me with any past order issues.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I wouldn't even bother going to a store to buy anything - generally in the UK you can get a better deal online. Sure you don't get it on the actual day of release but I've waited long enough so can wait a bit longer!

I originally ordered my TouchPad from HP.co.uk direct, which was easy enough despite HP's awful website. One strange thing was that the checkout page offered the case, BT keyboard and International charger as recommended accessories - which made me think the Touchstone wasn't available. It took me a while to just click the recommended accessories link, which brought up a page containing the aforementioned accessories plus the Touchstone?! Surely the Touchstone would be the main accessory they'd be trying to push?

Anyway, after placing the order with HP I visited Amazon the next day to see if they had it - which they did, but 1 more expensive. I looked at the accessories though and couldn't believe how much cheaper they were! The case was 7 less and the Touchstone an amazing 23 less!! I'd rather order from Amazon anyway cause they've never let me down - so I just cancelled my order with HP and got the whole lot from AMZN. Sweet!

Expected delivery is 18th-20th July for us UK folks though - so we'll need to sit patiently listening to you US folks tell us how great the TP is!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jondough View Post
    OR

I did both, actually. Pre-ordered from HP (who as of today has charged my corp. Amex -and based on our acct rep, it was not a hold, but a full settled transaction, as the hold occurred on the same day of the pre-order, June 20th) and will also try Walmart at midnight, as well as the BBY pre-ordered.

I just want to have the TouchPad as early as possible and since work is allowing us to expense it, even better.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    HP still hasn't charged me, and now the ship date is 07/10/2011, bah. Time to contact them.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    mosdl, when did you place your pre-order? Was it after 6/20?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    mosdl, when did you place your pre-order? Was it after 6/20?
    17th I believe. HP rep says still shipping 1st, the reason for the issue is that the Touchstone will ship later.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Although I wasn't going to pre-order from the local Best Buy, I felt compelled to after visiting a Staples and two Wal-Marts. When I visited a Staples last weekend, an assistant manager said they didn't think they would get them for 7/1 because they were a "secondary" store, but suggested I check a larger one in the area.

The first Wal-Mart I checked last weekend isn't a SuperCenter, not in a big town. The lady that I talked to had no idea about it, didn't find anything in inventory and recommended coming back later in the week to see if something shows up in the computer.

Tonight I went to one of the largest Wal-Mart stores in the area. After the first rather uninterested salesman had no knowledge of the Touchpad, a second guy made a bit more of an effort. I showed him the empty spot in the display case with the $599 barcode price tag that said Touchpad 32 GB. He scanned it and said that it showed none in stock and two on order. TWO!

While I could go another 35 minute north to another Wal-Mart SuperCenter, I figured it was time to get over to Best Buy to pre-order, which I visited last weekend to confirm they had the HP display (which they did).

Went back to BB and no demo Touchpad at the HP display yet. Employees were still pretty much clueless about it even though the display is pretty much front and center. I asked if they were going to have the HP Touchpad in stock and available on Friday. The "Lead" Tech (based on what I saw on his nametag) was not aware of it and asked me if it was something I saw on the website. I started to explain about the HP announcement and that BBY was a main retail partner, but then just asked if he could check the inventory to see if they were ordered and scheduled to arrive.

He looked Touchpad up in the register and when they showed up he said "OH. Yeah, I guess so. Yeah we'll have them." He asked which one I was looking for and said the 32 GB. He wouldn't tell me how many they were getting so I asked if I could reserve one. He said he wasn't sure. I mentioned that over on the HP display there were copies of the Reservation Tickets, one for the 16 GB, one for the 32 GB. So I led him over to the display and handed the 32 GB one to him.

After that it went pretty quick, he wrote my name and number on the ticket (yes, the one that he took from the display), read the fine print on the ticket, scanned for pre-order and only called someone when he was prompted for a serial number. I mentioned that the webOS forum mentioned that putting in all zeros should work. He tried and it did. I paid, got the $50 gift card and he made me a copy of the reservation ticket.

Since he did not say that I have to wait for a phone call on Friday, I will be there at 10 AM to try and get it.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345