Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I have had no luck at 3 different local Best Buys trying to preorder this thing! They all have no idea what I am talking about at first, then come back and say "you can preorder it online." Any tips on how to get them to find the order form? ... And did Amazons preorder page go down?
    Last edited by mk9027866; 06/19/2011 at 04:26 PM.
    Although I feel the frustration of, as a consumer, being unable to get reliable information about a particular product, as I stated on another thread, BBY employees are set to begin getting TouchPad training starting Monday of next week.

It might seem like HP is sleeping at the wheel, but all retail-related activities (including training store employees) should usually happen within the week of a device's launch.

So (and this is definitely easier said than done, as I'm also very anxious to get my hands on the TouchPad on July 1st) we should all enjoy this upcoming week before the real marathon begins on the week of the 26th.

Nonetheless, great info guys, keep it coming!
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/19/2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    I'm a rarity in that I am a very well informed geek squad employee.
    Any insider news about how many you guys gonna stock in store for launch day. 16G and 32 G both in your store?
    no some much the employees fault as store management. I see this lots of places and when you find and talk with the store or shift manager things make sense. Not sure how most make it to that job but 9 out of 10 times its rather amazing. Service has gone to hell the past decade or so.

anyone ever deal with Fry's employees. Good lord!!! And they are on some type of commission plan. 10 times worse then BB in my opinion.

thank god for online ordering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post

thank god for online ordering.
    Heh, sometimes my wife will even compare me with Larry David (from HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm"), where I will actually prefer making most of my purchases online (including clothing) so as to avoid as much interaction with store clerks as possible.

Granted, there are some dedicated folks out there, but sadly, they're few and far in between.

The era of service-oriented retail is dead. Long live ecommerce!
    I went to a Best Buy in Tampa, FL in the afternoon to pre-order a Touchpad. Upon entering the parking lot, there was a huge advertisement (about the size of a Billboard above the entryway) for the Samsung 10.1 Tab. However, as I made my way to the computer department, I was happy to see a very nice HP display set up, front and center, for the upcoming Touch-pad. The poor Samsung 10.1 Tab was relegated to a table containing all the other non-Apple tablet devices. I was actually surprised (and rather disappointed) that they did not have a better display set up for the Samsung tablet.

At the HP display was an employee wearing an HP badge. He told me that he would be doing nothing but promoting the HP Touchpad once it went on sale. I said, "Great, I would like to pre-order one." He said I could do that and it would be ready for me to pick up on...............................July 10th.

Huh?????

What!?!?!?

"No, no, no!!", I exclaimed, "These are supposed to be available in the stores on July 1st!"

At first he held his ground and said it would not be available until the 10th. He said he was not even going to be trainined on it until the week of July 3rd. However, when he saw how adament I was that it was going to be available on the first, he went and checked his e-mail and came back with a print-out showing the July 1st release date and apologized for the mis-information.

He then led me to the customer service area, where they sold me a $50 gift card, and the receipt associated with the gift card stated that it was for reserving the HP Touchpad. They also gave me a reservation ticket, and said they would call me on release date to schedule an apointment for pick-up.

I asked about the accessories, and they said that they are not reserving the accessories, but they plan to have one of every accessory (keyboard, charging dock, and touchpad case) for every pre-order, and when those who pre-ordered come in to pick up their Touchpad, they will be able to choose and purchase whichever accessories they want to go with their pre-order.
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
    I went to a Best Buy in Tampa, FL in the afternoon to pre-order a Touchpad. Upon entering the parking lot, there was a huge advertisement (about the size of a Billboard above the entryway) for the Samsung 10.1 Tab. However, as I made my way to the computer department, I was happy to see a very nice HP display set up, front and center, for the upcoming Touch-pad. The poor Samsung 10.1 Tab was relegated to a table containing all the other non-Apple tablet devices. I was actually surprised (and rather disappointed) that they did not have a better display set up for the Samsung tablet.

At the HP display was an employee wearing an HP badge. He told me that he would be doing nothing but promoting the HP Touchpad once it went on sale. I said, "Great, I would like to pre-order one." He said I could do that and it would be ready for me to pick up on...............................July 10th.

Huh?????

What!?!?!?

"No, no, no!!", I exclaimed, "These are supposed to be available in the stores on July 1st!"

At first he held his ground and said it would not be available until the 10th. He said he was not even going to be trainined on it until the week of July 3rd. However, when he saw how adament I was that it was going to be available on the first, he went and checked his e-mail and came back with a print-out showing the July 1st release date and apologized for the mis-information.

He then led me to the customer service area, where they sold me a $50 gift card, and the receipt associated with the gift card stated that it was for reserving the HP Touchpad. They also gave me a reservation ticket, and said they would call me on release date to schedule an apointment for pick-up.

I asked about the accessories, and they said that they are not reserving the accessories, but they plan to have one of every accessory (keyboard, charging dock, and touchpad case) for every pre-order, and when those who pre-ordered come in to pick up their Touchpad, they will be able to choose and purchase whichever accessories they want to go with their pre-order.
    Was this the Best Buy on Dale Mabry? I was hoping they would get some of those spokesmodels referred to at webOS Roudup.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Was at my Best Buy at 11 AM opening time to preorder. First employee Chris (first I saw to speak with) directed me to Customer Service, then while in line, another employee directed me back to Computers. Chris could not find the Touchpad for preorder but had me wait while he consulted his supervisor. He finally came back WITH the paper preorder forms for 16 GB and 32 GB. When he attempted to use his scanner, he discovered he needed a product UPC.

Back to his supervisor, another delay, then Chris reappeared. After processing my Reward number, Chris said "Oh, there is a promo today on this preorder. You get a $50 gift certificate!" Yippee! BUT, he had none and had to leave again to obtain them.

Finally 30 minutes after I arrived, I had the preorder complete, with an unexpected gift certificate for $50 and a "see you on July 1st!"

On my way out, I noticed an employee with HP on his shirt and we chatted a bit. He expects to have a Touchpad early next week to practice with. He is VERY excited about the product and expects it to be big! He thinks the Touchpads MAY arrive at the store early, but I should definitely have my Touchpad in my hands on July 1st. I should expect a phone call June 29th or 30th to schedule an appointment time for pick up.
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Was this the Best Buy on Dale Mabry? I was hoping they would get some of those spokesmodels referred to at webOS Roudup.
    Yes, it was the one on Dale Mabry. I am not sure if this guy is a "spokesmodel", but he will be responsible for promoting the device. Unfortunately, he is not currently familiar with Web OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
    Back to his supervisor, another delay, then Chris reappeared. After processing my Reward number, Chris said "Oh, there is a promo today on this preorder. You get a $50 gift certificate!" Yippee! BUT, he had none and had to leave again to obtain them.

Finally 30 minutes after I arrived, I had the preorder complete, with an unexpected gift certificate for $50 and a "see you on July 1st!"

Are you sure they gave you a $50 gift card, or you purchased a $50 gift card as part of your reservation? I definitely had to purchase the gift card.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My receipt indicates $50 towards the purchase when the Touchpad arrives. The extra $50 gift card was an extra "promo, " according to the salesman.
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    just got home from BB. Asked the greeter if he knew anything about pre ordering. He sent me to the computer section. Asked another rep, had me wait for another rep. Asked that rep if he knew anything and to my surprise, he knew way more than I expected about webOS. Asked him a few questions and he informed me that I was the first at that store to preorder. But he seemed really amped about Launch Day. Assured me I'd be able to trade in my reservation ticket for a TP day one! Along with accessories, which he heavily emphasized would be available when I purchased on July 1st. We'll see how things turn out... Here's hopin...
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    I preordered mine direct from HP today with overnight shipping (but because of the holiday i won't get it till the 5th) anyway all went smooth and I also ordered the case and the touchstone charger as well as the $89 1 year warranty - advanced replacement turnaround (1-2 days - they send me the new one before they get my broken one) and Accidential damage too! WAHOOOO!!!!!!!
    Palm m515 } Moto Q9c } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } Palm Pre } bought a Palm Pre off of Ebay } that died } downgraded to an HTC EVO 4G } holding out hope for another WebOS device (also Preordered a Touchpad and have had it ever since the first day it came out!)
  14.    #34  
    My receipt indicates $50 towards the purchase when the Touchpad arrives. The extra $50 gift card was an extra "promo, " according to the salesman.
    I think they misled you. I had to purchase the $50 gift card as well...
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You Keep Using That Word - Television Tropes & Idioms

:-)
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/19/2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: fixed URL
    Since no one has asked, I'll bite: do you have any info on that magical (to complement the magical TouchPad) $50 gift? I don't remember the last time I got any unexpected gift from them.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Since no one has asked, I'll bite: do you have any info on that magical (to complement the magical TouchPad) $50 gift? I don't remember the last time I got any unexpected gift from them.
    Won't know for sure until I return to pick up my TP and scan the gift card. If I was "duped," I'm gonna be upset!
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I am amazed at how little Best Buy employees know about electronics. I mean, I don't expect them all to be raving fans, but at least they should have a familiarity with the current products and latest spec trends.
    Lets get to reality here. Seriously, if a person gets paid an hourly wage like a best buy employee, do you think you would be ecstatic about your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I've seen best buy do that before. When the Palm Pre sold in Best Buy in Canada they threw in $50 free of accessories.
    I was just hoping pmalena had more info on the $50 gift card offer, since none of the local BBY's had any idea about it (which was not surprising, it is BBY after all).
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast