Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm hoping a bunch of people will sponsor me, "for only pennies a day", for a month or so, then I can probably afford to go get one. So, just to clarify.....if I can get 1031.66 people to donate $0.02 per day, for 30 days....c'mon you give away the four pennies when you buy something for $0.96 .....this is half that....EASY! .....30 days.....all I'm asking

crazy enough it just might work!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2Ę about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I think i'm gonna wait to see what kind of apps will be available for it before I take the plunge. I'm in no hurry. I want to see people's opinions of those who buy one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I am. Want to confirm doc editing and Netflix are launch apps as stated many times since Feb 9th.
    These are the two that give me the justification for waiting. Although I want one to play with now, I really don't NEED a tablet until the next legislative season starts around here, so it makes sense for me to wait until the Thanksgiving/Xmas specials that will probably be out there (thinkng maybe a nice BB bundle!).

Thus, knowing that the TP won't have document editing right away and no word on netflix (which would be one of the major things i would use a table for until really needed it) gives me the strength to wait a bit.

We know there will not be doc editing on launch and I have not seen any word on netflix, so although I will be playing with them in the stores, I think I will hold off on the purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    LOL, hundreds of people complaiining in here why it is taking HP so long to release the TouchPad, now they want to wait, classic for this site.
    This is exactly what I was thinking the same thing when I saw that thread title. LOL!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    I am waiting for Video out, Document editing and even the color depth of Touchpad.
    I am waiting for this also --- alas, I don't think I will hear good news about any of the 3 items at launch.

I really need "Video Out" for corp. presentations. ----- I can't believe they would omit this hardware and a decent doc edit software from launch if true
    I will wait and see how things go first. I'd have the touchpad emulator and it's quite nice, but I want to see, touch and play with a real one. Would like to see the build quality and what apps come pre-installed. As a dev I'd really like one so I can play with one, but since my app uses GPS that's kind moot at the moment anyway.
    I have a wait and see thought process but it's so hard not knowing and waiting... If they would just announce the software I'd be happy
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    LOL, hundreds of people complaiining in here why it is taking HP so long to release the TouchPad, now they want to wait, classic for this site.
    For those that have been burned being early adopters of any new device (especially original Pre owners) it makes sense to wait just a bit whenever something like the TP comes out, just to make sure the thing acutally works and that the bugs are worked out.

SO.... regardless of when the device comes out, the sooner the device is out, the sooner people will have it. The early birds will get it right away no matter what. On the other hand, if you are going to wait 2 months to buy if, then it comes out in May you have it in July, if its in June you have it in August and so on. In other words, it does make a difference how soon it comes out, even for those that intend to wait. Also, we have had reletivly recent reports that, unlike what was expected by many, there will not be document editing at launch and no word on some key apps like netflix that people thought we would know about by now, so some people changing minds about being first in line is natural.

Personally, I don't mind them taking their time to get the thing right. Apple owns the market right now and that won't change in a few months one way or the other. The android tablets have, so far, not made a significant dent. So if done right, the TP could become the #2 option out there. I DO have a problem with all the statements about how they won't announce products until ready to ship, then they don't deliver, THAT was a screw up, no way around it, and it should have been at least addressed.

Laslty, nobody should confuse the frustration directed at the Pre3 with the Touchpad. Much of the general "RELEASE SOMETHING NOW" angst out there is from people with pre's that have died or are falling apart and also from those that see the android phones running away with the market and out-spec'ing the Pre before its even released and think time is passing the Pre3 by. Also there is the the fact that we haven't even been able to get official carrier information, creates more "do something now" emotion with the phone end of things.
    Seems reasonable. It isn't released yet & there is a lot of uncertainty about final HP choices. e.g., still no info on battery life, & specific apps not named -- seems only reasonable to wait for actual release.
    ------------------
    James C.
    Digital EcoSystem: GNU/Emacs/Vim/BSD/c/Linux/groff/iOS/LaTeX/OS X/WebOS/Win7/&c.
    Gadget Disclosure: Pre-/iPad1/Dell E6410/MacBook(OS X/Linux/NetBSD)
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    On the other hand, if you are going to wait 2 months to buy if, then it comes out in May you have it in July, if its in June you have it in August and so on.
    But thatís a problem for HP on two sides.

1) If a large majority of potential customers wait to see how well it is received, how well they are selling, how well HP will support that product, etc. It can be a self fulfilling prophecy. If everyone waits to make sure it sells/does well before buying it, it wonít.

2) If you wait 2 months for it to come out, now it has to compete against newer tablets that are fresh out on the scenes.

We already know about these, which will come out about 2 months after the TP. Plus there will likely be a good deal of 4-core tegra 3 powered Ice Cream Sandwich tablets being shown/talked about then. Not to mention the issue of having any ipad3 discussion going at the time.

No, HP needs to give people a good reason to buy when the thing first releases.

-Suntan
    True but I don't owe HP or Palm anything. I bought the first Pre - and I still like it, but I'm not acting on impulse. I'm more or less waiting to see how the build quality is as well, although i've had no issues with my Pre.
    I'm going to wait until next Friday and see where I can get it first.

Actually I'm pretty sure I'll be pre-ordering at Best Buy, I don't want to take any chances on not being able to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    True but I don't owe HP or Palm anything. I bought the first Pre - and I still like it, but I'm not acting on impulse. I'm more or less waiting to see how the build quality is as well, although i've had no issues with my Pre.
    Oh I agree completely. Itís HPs problem to get people to purchase quickly.

Having Manny the jumping-puncher show a person how to slide a calendar back and forth isnít enough. They need to be showing impressive and unique apps, before the thing releases, which they havenít yet.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    2 reasons I would wait.

1. I want 3G version with proper GPS support.

2. Just cannot see HP offers enough Apps to rival iPad which is sadly the one I'm using. (price drops like hell after iPad2 )

Therefore, I need to differentiate so decided to wait for 7" 3G version. By then, Pre3 should be out sa well.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Oh I agree completely. Itís HPs problem to get people to purchase quickly.

Having Manny the jumping-puncher show a person how to slide a calendar back and forth isnít enough. They need to be showing impressive and unique apps, before the thing releases, which they havenít yet.

-Suntan

Ditto

The main problem in my eyes is this ----- HP is now slated to the "Also Ran" category along with others and they are not even out of the gate yet. Delays and promises have now even plagued these boards with doubt.

Since the Playbook has flopped in the eyes of many due to the unfulfilled promises for apps, PIM software and usability and most of the Android tabs have their own issues, I really see people getting gun shy to just jump into the market with ANY new tablet.

Quite a few are now electing to sit back and understand that waiting to see the product work well before buying is a "Must" which defeats the impulse buy and launch hype. With the rash of tablets underperforming at the get go, you'd think these guys who produce these tablets would get the hint.

The "Tablet" market is now getting saturated with Apple like hopefuls, and it is getting harder to make a decision just on impulse only.

I know it's been said many times now but I hope HP doesn't prove (like others) that its product is "rushed to market"

Maybe this time HP will prove differently ----- fingers crossed
    I'm holding off because it would end up costing me $700 + tax.
    I wanted to get the 16GB touchpad, 2 touchstone chargers, and the cover. The value of all that, in my opinion, should be between $550-$600

I would have pre-ordered if there was incentives like a free touchstone and a free cover with every pre order. Heck.. I would have gotten two. I don't mean to sound cheap. I have the money to buy all this, but i'm arguing for the sake of principal. They are coming out at the same price point as the ipad 2, which is thinner and has proven itself in the market.
    I think the problem with everyone who is pre-ordering is they are buying on impulse.
    Why the hell would you pre-order something with no incentives, when you've never even touched it and tested it yourself?
    i think you are not a true webos disciple if you adopt the wait-and-see approach... man we've been waiting for this for 2 years!!! why wait to have it?!
    I am adopting a wait and see approach.... wait and see how many of you I laugh at on the 1st for not having a TouchPad!
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    waiting to see if I can have me some native Google Maps.

Bing is a massive deal breaker for me.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast