Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    So what do you guys think is needed for TP to be enterprise ready?
    WebOS would have Citrix, which all other platforms have already, what else do you think TP need to be enterprise ready?

Update: Summary of Enterprise features needed for TP to succeed
    1) Citrix
    2) Documents editing
    3) Someway to mirror TP screen, examples HDMI or better would be something wireless, that connects to a USB/S-video/HDMI/mini HDMI all on the same accessory
    4) Rear camera to copy documents/ scan etc
    5) All encompassing printer app, no drivers needed to load, ability to connect to any printer network
    6) Some secure cloud back up of data, to be able to access if TP runs out of battery on a regular PC
    7) Ability to remotely view TP screen/ Remote session capabilities/ and change things necessary for IT people
    8) Support for SSH, SFTP, VPN, VMware, WAP 2 (whatever all that is)
    9) Availability of 3G/4G for on to go enterprise solution. Always connected solution.
    10) Some really good push service
    11) Really good wipe command
    12) Ability to interchange profiles on the same device lets say when passing a device from one person to another
    13) "- Ability to push policy to the TP (force device password and ability to set complexity, force data encryption, etc...)
    - Ability to manage applications (set approved app list from the app catalog, create/manage a "company app catalog", etc...)"
    14) conferencing like WebEx.
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 06/18/2011 at 11:23 PM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Remote desktop capabilities or remotes session capabilities for UNIX and Windows. SSH, SFTP, VPN(all types). vmware or the like supportability.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sherard View Post
    Remote desktop capabilities or remotes session capabilities for UNIX and Windows. SSH, SFTP, VPN(all types). vmware or the like supportability.
    How many of these does pre support?
    Nope - not IMO.

document editing - word, excel, powerpoint, and visio.

video out should be an enterprise ready requirement, but once again HP doesn't think so.

What about a rear camera that would allow for document scanning?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Nope - not IMO.

document editing - word, excel, powerpoint, and visio.

video out should be an enterprise ready requirement, but once again HP doesn't think so.

What about a rear camera that would allow for document scanning?
    Another good point is battery life; how much of battery life is needed to be enterprise ready?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I agree that people have underestimated the utility of the rear camera for document copying and storing. It's a $5 feature that can eliminate a lot of trips to the copier machine. If I run across a document that I want to refer to later, it takes me about 10 seconds to snap a pic and then I can be on my way. I now have almost a full size digital copy that is with me whenever I might need it.
    Makes me wonder why didnt TP came out w a rare camera, IP-2 has it, why not TP?
    From what HP has announced as features so far, and what will be available on the launch date, the HP TouchPad is a nearly useless enterprise tool. No doc editing, no video out.

It's nice that HP thought of stuff like Citrix, but they should have included basic functionality first.

I'm guessing when the 3G/4G versions come out, the device might finally be usable for enterprise.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    From what HP has announced as features so far, and what will be available on the launch date, the HP TouchPad is a nearly useless enterprise tool. No doc editing, no video out.

It's nice that HP thought of stuff like Citrix, but they should have included basic functionality first.

I'm guessing when the 3G/4G versions come out, the device might finally be usable for enterprise.
    Do you have any inside information that 3g/4g device would come out with all these things?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    HP sells copiers and printers -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    HP sells copiers and printers -=)
    how is that relevant? You mean TP will talk to each and every printer on network, without requiring any tweaking while IP-2 wont? or you mean H/P should be in the business of selling tablets cause they make printers and printers
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    I'd like to know if it supports WPA2 Enterprise using self signed certificates. We use it at work and my Pre so far can only connect if I preload all the certs before hand, but once I move to a different building the Pre lets go of the signal and won't reconnect.

If webOS 2.x/3.x can't support this I don't think I can go with it. Our iPhone users at work have no issues, the device will prompt for the accepting of the cert and all is good.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    I'd like to know if it supports WPA2 Enterprise using self signed certificates. We use it at work and my Pre so far can only connect if I preload all the certs before hand, but once I move to a different building the Pre lets go of the signal and won't reconnect.

If webOS 2.x/3.x can't support this I don't think I can go with it. Our iPhone users at work have no issues, the device will prompt for the accepting of the cert and all is good.
    Hmmm I bet Iphone wasnt released with it, so that can wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Makes me wonder why didnt TP came out w a rare camera, IP-2 has it, why not TP?
    HP was consumed with iPad 1 specs about 18 months late
    Last edited by Midway99; 06/18/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    So our list of basic enterprise features to add so far is:
    1. Document editing - word, excel, powerpoint
    2. HDMI to make presentations using a projector or TV (may need a VGA adapter).
    3. Rear camera to a copy a document.

I would like to add to our list:
    4. Something like Google Cloud Print to print to any networked printer
    5. Compatibility with current tab apps like GoToMeeting, Instapaper, Skype, etc.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/18/2011 at 02:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    how is that relevant? You mean TP will talk to each and every printer on network, without requiring any tweaking while IP-2 wont? or you mean H/P should be in the business of selling tablets cause they make printers and printers
    it was just a joke in regards to ure second comment -=P
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    So our list of basic enterprise features to add so far is:
    1. Document editing - word, excel, powerpoint
    2. HDMI to make presentations using a projector or TV (may need a VGA adapter).
    3. Rear camera to a copy a document.

I would like to add to our list:
    4. Something like Google Cloud Print to print to any networked printer
    5. Compatibility with current tab apps like GoToMeeting, Instapaper, Skype, etc.
    I mean citrix is important too, does having it means, TP can connect to any network?
    Do you have any inside information that 3g/4g device would come out with all these things?
    Not at all, but at least people would be able to communicate without a wi-fi connection meaning it's much better suited to use while in an office or at lunch etc.

A wi-fi version only would seemingly be of only questionable value while traveling, and little to no value in the actual office of large enterprise companies (who do not use wifi for security reasons). Most large companies still use ethernet as their in office communications network.
    is TP enterprise ready? I think the answer to this question will really vary based the characteristics/business model of your organization. I work for a WW organization with 50k+ employees and would love to provision a TP to everyone. Our company services many fortune 500 companies and one of the largest concerns our clients have is about data security. Our clients ask questions such as "How do we protect their data?".

I agree with most of the comments in this thread and a Centralized mobile device management system would go a long ways to help the cause. The following features would help...

- Ability to push policy to the TP (force device password and ability to set complexity, force data encryption, etc...)
    - Ability to manage applications (set approved app list from the app catalog, create/manage a "company app catalog", etc...)
    - Remote Wipe
    - Advanced reporting ability

This is just my .02 cents.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Not at all, but at least people would be able to communicate without a wi-fi connection meaning it's much better suited to use while in an office or at lunch etc.

A wi-fi version only would seemingly be of only questionable value while traveling, and little to no value in the actual office of large enterprise companies (who do not use wifi for security reasons). Most large companies still use ethernet as their in office communications network.
    Good point, updated my first post
    Quote Originally Posted by beelykemyke View Post
    is TP enterprise ready? I think the answer to this question will really vary based the characteristics/business model of your organization. I work for a WW organization with 50k+ employees and would love to provision a TP to everyone. Our company services many fortune 500 companies and one of the largest concerns our clients have is about data security. Our clients ask questions such as "How do we protect their data?".

I agree with most of the comments in this thread and a Centralized mobile device management system would go a long ways to help the cause. The following features would help...

- Ability to push policy to the TP (force device password and ability to set complexity, force data encryption, etc...)
    - Ability to manage applications (set approved app list from the app catalog, create/manage a "company app catalog", etc...)
    - Remote Wipe
    - Advanced reporting ability

This is just my .02 cents.
    Here's a start:
    Mobileiorn: webOS Management

"MobileIron enables companies today to deploy webOS-based devices securely, with remote management of password policy, device lock and device wipe."

Hopefully, the others like Good and Boxtone will add webos to their list of mobile devices.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast