Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    A wi-fi version only would seemingly be of only questionable value while traveling, and little to no value in the actual office of large enterprise companies (who do not use wifi for security reasons). Most large companies still use ethernet as their in office communications network.
    That depends on whether they have someone who knows how to set up enterprise wireless. It's not really hard to do. If you have a certificate server and a RADIUS server (both can be handled by Windows), you're basically ready to set up WPA2-Enterprise authentication.

Getting the cert on the TouchPad may be an issue, but that's separate from the wireless issue.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yes and no.. i think i wifi only version for enterprise is very limited. but a 3g/4g version would fit in great.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Webex.

I can't believe how many people are now using their iPads for Webex. I don't know how many are remote verus using the iPad with their laptops for multi-tasking.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
  4.    #24  
    This is pretty impressive list we had made
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    in an ironic twist, i am not sure that the HP enterprise is prepared to properly handle the hype and pre ordering for the TouchPad.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jondough View Post
    in an ironic twist, i am not sure that the HP enterprise is prepared to properly handle the hype and pre ordering for the TouchPad.
    They will get there, though I am not sure how many of the features they will have on it
  7.    #27  
    So TP users what do you think is it enterprise ready?
    Nope. And it's irritating, because that's what I want it for. I'm bringing one home over the weekend to see it the VPN will work with my Exchange server. The fact that it can't edit documents out of the box is a joke, along with the fact that it can't be used for presentations. It's hard to justify based on good will that those will be corrected. It's a good thing that WebOS is as good as it is; otherwise I'd never consider it, as my IT people provide complete support for iPads. If it doesn't work out and they can't tweak it to work, I'll be forced to eat some fruit.

A wi-fi version only would seemingly be of only questionable value while traveling, and little to no value in the actual office of large enterprise companies (who do not use wifi for security reasons). Most large companies still use ethernet as their in office communications network.
    I will have to disagree here. I work for a Fortune 100 company and we have WiFi.

However, our WiFi uses WPA2, AES and PEAP-GTC. Guess what? My brand new 'Enterprise ready' TouchPad (32GB) doesn't seem to support PEAP-GTC. Sadly, I'll be returning it by the end of the week if I can't find a viable solution since 80% of it's intended use will be at the office, in meetings, etc.

It's funny, there are various 'droid tablets and both generations of iPads that work here just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
    I will have to disagree here. I work for a Fortune 100 company and we have WiFi.

However, our WiFi uses WPA2, AES and PEAP-GTC. Guess what? My brand new 'Enterprise ready' TouchPad (32GB) doesn't seem to support PEAP-GTC. Sadly, I'll be returning it by the end of the week if I can't find a viable solution since 80% of it's intended use will be at the office, in meetings, etc.

It's funny, there are various 'droid tablets and both generations of iPads that work here just fine.
    This is an amazing statement. I have seen numerous comments about how webos is enterprise ready out of the box. No one could specfically answer as to why that is the case. But they did mention that ipad is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    Good article
    Apple has done a fantastic job of creating a market for both the tablet hardware concept and the kind of applications that can be used. I don't suppose Apple ever anticipated the amazing success would attain - so gave it the same OS as their music players.

Now CEOs in major enterprises are buying iPads (a very common sight) and wanting them connected to secure corporate networks the lack of a proper OS with all the security features is becoming evident.

HP can see this - and the opportunity; "No Sir, you can't connect your iPad - however you can have this HP Touchpad instead and we think you will like it" The CEO's kids will have the iPad by the end of the week.

The rest of the the post can be found here:
    Can HP's webOS and TouchPad slow down the iPad?

Besides, what's the matter with eating fruit, it's healthy. The trap people fall into is they consume the fruit, they let the fruit consume them. As long as you realize that it you that is doing the consuming, you should be fine.
  11.    #31  
    everybody here say dont worry too much about document editing it will come in few months and they have internal knowledge it will be free vs ios (I highly doubt that) plus first Iphone didnt connect to PEAP-GTC, hence it's ok that TP-1 doesnt connect to PEAP-GTC as well. Thats what most people here would say.

Odd. I have no issues at al, connecting to our Wireless G WPA2 PEAP network. I authenticate with my AD credentials and it works great. Have been using network resources all this week. The iUsers are jealous because they thought they could finally challenge webOS on the tablet since the phone outclasses them. Sadly webOS on the TPad is even more deadly and they stopped bringing their iPads to meetings. Lol. ;-)
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    IMO, TP is not enterprise-class without an RDP client. Ability to connect with SMB file shares would be a huge plus.

So you're quite certain that "most" major companies use wifi as their main network rather than wired solutions? I'm willing to bet you a brand new 32GB TouchPad that you're not correct.
  15.    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Odd. I have no issues at al, connecting to our Wireless G WPA2 PEAP network. I authenticate with my AD credentials and it works great. Have been using network resources all this week. The iUsers are jealous because they thought they could finally challenge webOS on the tablet since the phone outclasses them. Sadly webOS on the TPad is even more deadly and they stopped bringing their iPads to meetings. Lol. ;-)
    You two guys need to talk to each other.
    why even bring 'wired' into it. of course most companies are probably wired for their pcs and such... but we're talking tablets there like TP or IP1/2 that do not have wired capability anyways... he's talking wireless devices that must use wifi and if it doesnt work in his company... it's useless except as a standalone... to play angry birds I guess.

So you're quite certain that "most" major companies use wifi as their main network rather than wired solutions? I'm willing to bet you a brand new 32GB TouchPad that you're not correct.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    why even bring 'wired' into it. of course most companies are probably wired for their pcs and such... but we're talking tablets there like TP or IP1/2 that do not have wired capability anyways... he's talking wireless devices that must use wifi and if it doesnt work in his company... it's useless except as a standalone... to play angry birds I guess.
    Most companies use both wired and wireless
    To answer the OPs question... the one big reason I would think the TP is not enterprise ready?

When you have people posting that they are getting randrom reboots... then it certainly isnt enterprise ready.

losing sound and having to reboot... eh... can wait for an update. home user and they lose their angry birds score or something... ok.

enterprise use... doing actual work... and then have to lose it or wait for a reboot? known issue. just once from one user... not acceptable.

You want to be the IT guy that deployed them and have that crash/reboot happen with the CEOs tab or CFO or CMO... or anyone... and tell em it's a known issue and waiting on a patch? right.
    kkhanmd and sinsin07 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Read a lot of your past post, have to say your coworkers are lame. We'd run cirlces around your Touchpad just launching Cittix. Next we'd whip out our HDMI connector and throw up PowerPoint presentation on th 80 inch touchscreen plasma. While someone is doing that a co-worker would would use logmein to administer some allpliance some where. Oh oh, someone brought to the meeting a handwritten set of instructions they just received on a fix for an unusal problem. No worry, just scan it with the rear facing camera. Meanwhile a another coworker gets a call that an iOS device is reported lost or stolen, and the lost device needs a wipe. Launch the browser, login to the site that controls iOS devices and do the remote wipe. All being done now my friend, not some future concept and not available on the touchpad.

The Touchpad as it stands now would get no traction in my environment. But it is the only real contender in my book. Apple must think so, why else would they be patenting:
    Apple Wants to Beat HP's WebOS Sharing Feature with Something Cooler

To answer the OPs question... the one big reason I would think the TP is not enterprise ready?

When you have people posting that they are getting randrom reboots... then it certainly isnt enterprise ready.

losing sound and having to reboot... eh... can wait for an update. home user and they lose their angry birds score or something... ok.

enterprise use... doing actual work... and then have to lose it or wait for a reboot? known issue. just once from one user... not acceptable.

You want to be the IT guy that deployed them and have that crash/reboot happen with the CEOs tab or CFO or CMO... or anyone... and tell em it's a known issue and waiting on a patch? right.
    Ahh! A true IT person. Refreshing.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/08/2011 at 02:10 PM.

Then I don't know of a single device that's enterprise ready. A completely stable platform? Eh, no.

Anyway, it's missing security features and doc editting. Those are two things that need to happen and soon. Even I'm getting sick of waiting.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast