1.    #1  
    I am thinking about financing Touchpad through Best Buy in order to avoid having to part with a huge chunk of cash at one time. Yes, I probably could drop the whole amount at once but id rather pay in small amounts using their interest-free financing option.

Has anyone ever used Best Buy financing? Thoughts?
    Yes, I'm getting the TouchPad at BB because I love the financing option and the return policy. I bought my Samsung Plasma from them and didn't have to pay interest for a year or something (I paid it off in 3 months). So I would highly recommend BB and if you don't like the TouchPad you could just take it back.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I used their interest free policy on a monitor once and tried paying it off over a certain amount of time too, but they have APR financing which will add to your monthly bill. At least it did too mine and it was only $250 dollars. So, if you wanted to pay it off in like 3-4 months it would probably work ok for you but if you wait longer than you will rack up APR charges.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Yes. I brought an ipad for my mother and didn't have to pay interest for 12 months!! Best Buy financing is pretty legit!!
    there are many credit cards offering (sone simutaneously) 12+ month no interest payment delay, 1%cash back, spend x amount in the first three months and get y amount back(usually 50-100 back when spend 300-500).

plus the 50% off (random oppurtubity) at mastercard marketplace, and no tax online.

its possible to shave off $200 from the msrp.

im not getting anything bestbuy. they are usually expensive.
    bestbuy does have a great no interest financing policy... this will be an option if i can get it on day 1
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    I'm leery of no interest department store cards. They usually charge you some kind of paperwork fee that ends up costing you the same amount of interest anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I'm leery of no interest department store cards. They usually charge you some kind of paperwork fee that ends up costing you the same amount of interest anyways.
    I can speak for Best Buy thought... they are legit... however, make sure you do pay it off on time or all of that interest will be ADDED lol

Also there's is based upon cost for how long interest free will be... i believe its 6,12, not sure about 24 but its a good deal to have
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I have financed many things through Best Buy. As long as you pay the total balance in the allotted time period there is no interest, but be warned that if you don't you'll be looking at accrued interest at 20% or higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    there are many credit cards offering (sone simutaneously) 12+ month no interest payment delay, 1%cash back, spend x amount in the first three months and get y amount back(usually 50-100 back when spend 300-500).

plus the 50% off (random oppurtubity) at mastercard marketplace, and no tax online.

its possible to shave off $200 from the msrp.
    And here I am, a European wondering why so many US americans are highly indebted It's no surprise with such offers.
    I too have used Best Buy Credit Card multiple times and have never paid interest.

I plan to buy the TouchPad this way.
    Looking at probably the 16gb so that is only about $30 a month on an 18 month no interest plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    And here I am, a European wondering why so many US americans are highly indebted It's no surprise with such offers.
    hehe, yeah, thats why ppl need to make sure to pay off on time to take advantages of these offers, rather than being careless and end up in trap.

These cards are wonderful if you know how to take advantage of it, but will charge you 30% APR in no time if you miss a payment.

Free enterprise, always end up hurting certain ppl.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I have used Best Buy financing for a number of items and likely will use it for my TouchPad purchase as well. I do want to warn that their bills can be a bit misleading, though, so make sure to read it carefully or you could end up stuck with all that compounded interest even when you think that you paid off a purchase.

Specifically, you have to be cautious if you have charged more than one purchase with different promotional-period expiration dates. On the front page of the bill, they list the "minimum payment" amount that you have to pay to keep your account current. It is important to know that this is the total of a separate list of minimums for each of the still active charges on the account. If you want to pay off one of the balances, you must pay the current total of that balance PLUS the minimum for each of the other balances.

For example, if you still owe $100 on a promotional balance that is expiring and the bill says the minimum payments on your other remaining balances are $10 and $5, then you must pay $115 or more to clear the promotional balance. If you only pay $100, then you will find a $15 balance remaining on the promotion. If the expiration date passes before you notice this, then you will see the delayed interest charges hit.

What is misleading is that the bill will include on the front page an alert with this exact phrasing: "To avoid paying deferred interest charges pay your promotional payoff amount of $100 by <whatever date>. In addition, minimum payments due must be paid by the payment due date." On first glance, it is easy to overlook the plural on "minimum payments" and think that note only means that your payment must be the same or more than the minimum listed at the top of the bill.

I made this mistake once and ended up stuck with 2-years of interest charges (a couple hundred dollars) even though I thought I had paid off the promotional balance. The way they apply payments, I still owed a couple dollars at the expiration date. I escalated the issue up the chain at the credit company and they absolutely would not budge on it. Since they were technically in the right (despite a misleading bill), there really was nothing I could do. It really was my mistake, although it was a mistake that the bill seemed designed to encourage.

As I said, I didn't drop the card as they really do offer excellent financing deals that are generally better than you can find anywhere else. You just have to pay very close attention to the bills.

-Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    hehe, yeah, thats why ppl need to make sure to pay off on time to take advantages of these offers, rather than being careless and end up in trap.

These cards are wonderful if you know how to take advantage of it, but will charge you 30% APR in no time if you miss a payment.

Free enterprise, always end up hurting certain ppl.
    Indeed. Without all those stupid people the credit card companies would not be able to have such offers Nevertheless, I'm not sure if I like that...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffGr View Post
    [...]

-Jeff
    Even though I'll prolly never make use of BB financing, thank you very much for sharing your experience
    Visa and Mastercard have 10's of millions of customers in Europe. Always read the fine print, especially at BB.
  16.    #16  
    arghh, just tried applying online and i wasn't approved. i had a moderate credit issue a few years back which i guess is still relevant enough to discourage my approval. I guess I can just pay up front, but I will have to budget accordingly. Thinking of trying Walmart financing (most likely different bank, different credit criteria). We'll see.
    I do have a Direct Debit Visa. That's necessary if you want to buy at amazon.co.uk (cheap CDs and games) and don't have a british bank account.

However, payments by cash (groceries) or EC card (higher priced stuff) are most common at least in Germany. I barely see people paying with cards in supermarkets for instance. In the UK however I saw tons of people paying by card in pubs. That was only like 10 pounds. Was a very strange experience for me.
    Is it worth it? I can pay for it in cash, but would I just be better off buying it on my Discover and getting 1% back, or are there any perks to getting a BB card?
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    It's what makes America great. Freedom to get indebted for the great American products we invent and the world wants.