Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    The reason HP did not include video out option with the current touchpad may because the software is not yet optimised for this functionality.
    Let me explain it further.

In WebOS if I am watching a movie and I swipe up, we go to the card view and the movie is paused. This shouldn't happen with video out functionality, I should have video playing on TV through HDMI and I should have my rest of the process to be available on my touchpad.

Fox Example: Dark Knight playing on TV and I working on my Excel sheet on the touchpad at the same time.

I think this is possible in Playbook as it is true multitasking OS like Windows 7 but I don't know if this is possible in WebOS.

As the software is not yet mature to do this functionality that may be the reason HP totally skipped HDMI for this 1.0 version of Touchpad and may bring it for 2.0 version of Touchpad.
    Right now selective process working doesn't happen in WebOS.

I may be the wrong on this whole theory so please if possible clear my misunderstanding and don't bash me.
    Maybe but I would just like video mirroring. (whatever is on the TouchPad is on the projector)
    Yeah, I would assume just video mirroring would be fine. BTW, there is a patch to keep the video running while in card view.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Yeah, I would assume just video mirroring would be fine. BTW, there is a patch to keep the video running while in card view.
    Video is just an example, could we run any apps without pausing it like Powerpoint or Excel. If this is possible then Touchpad should have video out functionality.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I think the real reason is because HP will realease a touchpad "pro" by the end of the year, with all the bells and whistles including SD card slots, rear camera, larger storage options, and either micro usb to HDMI out, or a mini HDMi out.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    that would be terrible... and they are going to charge a higher premium than the regular TP for these bells and whistles while it's pretty much standard feature on other platforms? you seriously believe that? then hp is definitely on the wrong track.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    I think the real reason is because HP will realease a touchpad "pro" by the end of the year, with all the bells and whistles including SD card slots, rear camera, larger storage options, and either micro usb to HDMI out, or a mini HDMi out.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well by that time i assume the tp will be selling for 100-150 bux less.... so it will still be in the same price range
    THANKS~!!
    The real reason is because the original iPad didn't have hdmi out and the Touchpad was built to be a clone of that tablet. They aimed to meet the specs, not exceed them.
    if the tp is 100-150 less... it will be because they are making room for tp2 and reducing price to rid inventory.

i dont think they will have two different types of tps in production at the same time (tp lite and tp pro) in different memory configs (16/32/64GB?) and also wireless configs (with/without 3G).

they would be creating much more cost to manufacture and sell so many variants.

well by that time i assume the tp will be selling for 100-150 bux less.... so it will still be in the same price range
    The original ipad had an apple ipad vga connector to give some limited output such as movies, keynotes and photos. so that would mean hp is not meeting even ipad1 specs.

i just think they decided not to spend the development time for hdmi support. otherwise we could be waiting until July 1, 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The real reason is because the original iPad didn't have hdmi out and the Touchpad was built to be a clone of that tablet. They aimed to meet the specs, not exceed them.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    This is about saving maybe 50 cents on some licensing fee. It always comes to that.
    Tough to say why they did it. Probably one of the following reasons:

1) Didn't realize video out was a big deal.
    2) Didn't want the TouchPad to compete with HP netbooks/laptops directly
    3) They have an accessory or wireless solution.
    mirroring is not hard, thats all I want, I dont care if it works as a dual screen I just want mirroring. So your logic is flawed and I still want my HDMI out port.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    if the tp is 100-150 less... it will be because they are making room for tp2 and reducing price to rid inventory.

i dont think they will have two different types of tps in production at the same time (tp lite and tp pro) in different memory configs (16/32/64GB?) and also wireless configs (with/without 3G).

they would be creating much more cost to manufacture and sell so many variants.
    i agree with u... but HP has trademarked 6 new TP names,, one is TP "PRO". i can only assume pro will mean more mem and functionality. i just hope they do hdmi out through a software update for the micro usb port, and not a new mini hdmi port.
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KAPS View Post
    Video is just an example, could we run any apps without pausing it like Powerpoint or Excel. If this is possible then Touchpad should have video out functionality.
    Yes. webOS has always had true multitasking functionality. All apps run in the background without pausing.
    i agree with u... but HP has trademarked 6 new TP names,, one is TP "PRO". i can only assume pro will mean more mem and functionality. i just hope they do hdmi out through a software update for the micro usb port, and not a new mini hdmi port.
    I hope that name won't come to exist on any real product.

slice and dice a tiny 10" webos pad market is so useless.

now touchpad7 is what may be interesting.
    By the way, Apple released an HDMI adaptor for iPad 1 and 2, iPhone 4, and latest iPod Touch and it works well!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Tough to say why they did it. Probably one of the following reasons:

1) Didn't realize video out was a big deal.
    2) Didn't want the TouchPad to compete with HP netbooks/laptops directly
    3) They have an accessory or wireless solution.
    Both number 3 and the fact that you only need a driver for USB to VGA out adapters. They probably, rightly or wrongly, feel that most would prefer a wireless solution to stream presentations and multimedia from a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The original iPad got HDMI out when this cable shipped about a month after the iPad came out last year:

Apple Digital AV Adapter

Use the Apple Digital AV Adapter to mirror whatever’s on your iPad 2 screen — apps, presentations, websites, and more — on your HDTV or HDMI-compatible display in up to 1080p HD (movies play at up to 720p).

Watch slideshows and movies on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) to an HDTV or HDMI-compatible display.
    The Apple Digital AV Adapter routes digital audio to screens that support it.

Connect the Apple Digital AV Adapter to your iPad, iPhone 4, or iPod touch (4th generation) via the 30-pin dock connector and to your HDMI-compatible display using an HDMI cable (sold separately).

A second 30-pin connector built into the AV adapter lets you charge and sync your device while it’s connected to your HDMI-compatible display
    The Transformer, Iconia, Samsung Tab 10.1 and Tab 8.9, Toshiba Thrive, Motorola Xoom, and BlackBerry Playbook, Apple iPad 2, and original iPad all have HDMI.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/18/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Wireless would be much better and convenient. Hopefully not too costly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast