6 28.57%
  • Okay

10 47.62%
  • Excellent

5 23.81%
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I have seen it on the Pre -, Pre Plus and Pre 2 and I have seen it on Youtube videos of Touchpad. The whole touch experience on the webOS is not the best compared to the other devices in the market. The iDevices owns the "Touch Feel" followed by Android devices. I noted the three issues with Touch experience on the Touchpad which will turn off any prospective customer.

Touch Action
    Touch action on iPad/iPhone/iPod is excellent. The moment you touch on any app the iOS device just opens it. Never have to touch twice for opening an app. With the Pre phones I noticed that it takes multiple touches to register user action.

Time to Open The Apps.
    Opening apps on the iP/oad/Phone is quick. The app just opens with a casual tap. The time to open the App may be less than 2 seconds , for most of them. On webOS products it will be few seconds. Try to open Google maps or phone app , you know what I am talking about. It was obvious on touchpad while opening phone app.

Touch Scroll
    This is downright horrible on webOS. The Android and iOS products scroll just fine. Try scrolling web pages, maps or email on both Android/iOS. Then repeat that on Pre-, Pre Plus and Pre 2.

After watching many youtube videos on Touchpad, me thinks HP did not fix these issues. It will have a tough time selling as a best tablet or even second best.

Have you watched Youtbe videos of Touchpad in the last few months ? What do you think of the touch experience on TP ?
    I refuse to vote on this, since none of us have seen the July 1st version of WebOS (which is the only one that counts in this comparison).

PS - you might want to read up on how iOS "cheats" with their smoke and mirrors when it comes to loading apps, and appearing quicker than it is.
    Opening PDK apps is instantaneous on my overclocked Pre+ and most other apps except Google Maps, which is an abomination thanks to Google sabotaging competitor apps where they can get away with it, open within a second. Since both the Pre3 and TouchPad processors are way faster than that, they will open apps even quicker (and ship with Bing Maps, which is desperate for users to like it).

Touch response on the Pre is hit or miss indeed, and I blame the slow processor. If you give the phone time after a 'missed' tap, it mostly registers after a while. While that may be inexcusable to some, the quicker processors will do away with it (and already have in the Veer).

By the way, ask any non-****** Iphone owner and you'll hear about how often they open stuff they didn't mean to open because the screen registers taps even if you didn't mean to tap anything.

scrolling... Again with the slow processor.

Why do you want to compare brand-new devices to old webOS devices and predict the performance of brand-new devices by how the old ones performed? "honeycomb is really slow. I used a T-Mobile G1 once and it wasn't snappy at all". That statement is obviously silly. Why are you judging a device you haven't held yet by the performance of a two-year old device running a two-year old version of the same OS?
    Seriously? You're trying to judge how well touching works, by watching Youtube videos?
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/17/2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Seriously? You're trying to judge how well touching works, but watching Youtube videos?
    I was thinking the same thing

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Seriously? You're trying to judge how well touching works, but watching Youtube videos?
    As opposed to what ?

I have been a 2 plus year customer for Palm/HP. The issue is not just annoying but downright failure for webOS. The expectations are there for many of us on how well the experience is on Touchpad.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I refuse to vote on this, since none of us have seen the July 1st version of WebOS (which is the only one that counts in this comparison).

PS - you might want to read up on how iOS "cheats" with their smoke and mirrors when it comes to loading apps, and appearing quicker than it is.
    Sure, you cannot compare it with the real one. However I have enough experience to say that the software version which is used for the release day Touchpad is not going to be much different from the one SDK we have now. They might fix many issues but this "Touch" thing is something goes down to the integration of hardware and software. I bet Steve Jobs might have thrown a thousand touchscreen panels before approving the one with right "Feel".

Sure I know about iOS cheats
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    See this which was just few weeks old.

Between 1:00 min and 1:10 , the guy tries to close the card twice. First time it won't pick.

And between 2:29 and 2:35
    Last edited by gbp; 06/17/2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add more info
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    See this which was just few weeks old.

Between 1:00 min and 1:10 , the guy tries to close the card twice. First time it won't pick.

And between 2:29 and 2:35
    Are you kidding?

You're first example, he clearly DID NOT intend to swipe up. He's not even touching the screen if you watch it carefully. He's just moving his hand.

The second example, I don't get what you are complaining about. That an error box takes .5 second to disappear while several other apps are open? I'm sorry, but that's still more responsive than my desktop pc with that many apps open - I won't complain.

Also, in another video it was explained there have been multiple OS builds per week, and the guys at computex (who don't work for HP) had a build from May. It's also been said that most builds have all kinds of logging turned on which slows down any computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    As opposed to what ?

I have been a 2 plus year customer for Palm/HP. The issue is not just annoying but downright failure for webOS. The expectations are there for many of us on how well the experience is on Touchpad.
    As opposed to actual usage?? I thought was clearly implied by his response ..

11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    As opposed to actual usage?? I thought was clearly implied by his response ..

Yes,
    it is not actual usage, it is based on the pre release video.
    I voted OK, which is not enough for success. Today I played with BB PlayBook and was really impressed with look and feel. Also I know how Ipad and Ipad2 are performing. TP will have hard time competing with bunch mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    scrolling... Again with the slow processor.
    My non OC Pre- was scrolling contacts (about 1000, 10% with contact pics) OK, and other stuff terribly so I blame OS for that.

Who cares? And, if "smoke and mirrors" are the key, so why not take same approach?

HP rushed with TouchPad, and I think they rushed with Veer and Pre3. Many of members here will say they are late but it's not true. It seems relations with Sprint are beyond repair, and with new set of devices HP is on good way to damage relations with AT&T and Verizon. Idiotic idioms like soft launch, tailored to mask failure, are good sign how community is also desperate with state of WebOS.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Are you kidding?

You're first example, he clearly DID NOT intend to swipe up. He's not even touching the screen if you watch it carefully. He's just moving his hand.

The second example, I don't get what you are complaining about. That an error box takes .5 second to disappear while several other apps are open? I'm sorry, but that's still more responsive than my desktop pc with that many apps open - I won't complain.

Also, in another video it was explained there have been multiple OS builds per week, and the guys at computex (who don't work for HP) had a build from May. It's also been said that most builds have all kinds of logging turned on which slows down any computer.
    Well I thought at minute 1 he tried to thrown it away to me.
    On the error, its not the .5 second thing, its about doing it twice.

Have you ever have to do that on iOS devices ? Not for me.
    HI

I just want to highlight one issue. Why is it necessary to draw up a fake Youtube card, follow seconds later by Internet card. And then to make the fake Youtube card disappear by itself? Total waste of time.