Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    That does seem awfully fancy and cool to be able to see my Touchpad on a TV or plug right into a projector....but, really...why? I still don't quite understand why it is such a big deal to people, and I would love to hear some serious reasons and not just 'i could watch movies on mah teevee from mah touchypad.'

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  2.    #2  
    Hmmm. That's fair. I guess that's never happened to me. And we are sure there are no alternatives? Because I think, in general, the HP thinking for a tablet should be entirely wireless whenever possible. So maybe we just aren't forward thinking possibilities. They said they wanted everything to be connected....eventually.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    plug right into a projector
    This. If they are going to push the enterprise aspect this is the most reliable to plug directly in rather than worrying about some wireless solution.

I would totally use the Touchpad as a presenter. I don't see using it to edit slides but if there was a viewer/presenter for either PPT or PDFs I'd be all over it. Truthfully a computer is not needed to run presentations and a tablet works much better as a "telepromter" type device.

Unless we see an adapter for VGA (far more likely than HDMI or even DVI) I'd say they would probably push it as a remote terminal deal where the computer runs presentations, but the touchpad can control it over the network. I would probably use it that way also if it worked well.
    I have meetings on a weekly basis. I.e. Multiple meetings with upwards of 15 people each. I need to show things sometimes to smaller groups, sometimes to all of them at once. I have at least 3 unique powerpoints to show every week. I have a nice powerful desktop at work to make all these presentations but my laptop died a few weeks ago. I also didn't like carrying my giant laptop around just for presentations. A small tablet with HDMI output is IDEAL for someone in my position. For some people it may just be cool, but for me: I have to borrow laptops from attendees and keep my presentation on a flash drive. I was banking on HDMI out on the TouchPad. Guess i'll continue asking attendees for a laptop. *sigh*
    It would also be great with the HP Movie store. Buy a movie and watch on your commute and finiah at home on the TV. Also, since it has the photo app pulling in from various websites it's a great way to show photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You've got some kind of presentation (pictures, video, web page, PDF, etc.) on your tablet with more than three people in the room. If there's a TV or a projector then you just plug into the HDMI port. If there isn't, or if you don't have HDMI out, then you just have everyone huddle around. What would really suck is if someone else did their presentation from a tablet using HDMI out and you couldn't.
    IF the projector has an HDMI-in port.

Most produced today will have them, but most produced before last year wont, and that means most available ones won't.

Id go even further to state that presentations that are true multimedia (like powerpoint or flash) would be done on a laptop computer, as building and running them is very memory and CPU intensive (these are not videos, these are program files being run in the application, or Flash movies with Vector graphics).

The only reason for any pad device to have HDMI out is to share multimedia - today, that is a movie or an album of pictures.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I spent this morning in a meeting, reviewing stuff on a projector (from a laptop). For business folks, this is kind of a must-have.

The Touchpad won't be taken seriously as a business tool until it can connect to projectors, and can edit docs.

PS-There was actually a Visor Springboard module years ago, that let you somehow project stuff, or control it.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    What was Apotheker's set up for the TouchPad at HP Discover keynote, does anyone remember?

I've seen people display powerpoints on the Ipad1 where we all huddle around, traveling execs I'm sure would like a feature to display on a large screen
    its less about how useful, its more about future proof and competition.

i agree its not useful, at least to me, but that doesn't mean its not a competitive edge for many buyers.
    Well even though I would never get a touchpad, if I was getting a tablet in the future I would want HDMI for watching movies and showing pictures/slideshows.
    I've watched several iPad (1) demonstrations where a document camera was used to show the iPad. I always thought that was pretty lame. I hope I don't have to do the same with the TouchPad.

I wireless option would be best!

EDIT: I was actually show this as a must have iPad accessory for any classroom. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UBPBTC/ref=asc_df_B002UBPBTC1590598?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002UBPBTC
    I use the projector in our conference room for meetings nearly every day. In an effort to go paperless this is the only way to reach 20 to 25 people. I also like to update status and do meeting minutes at the same time so a way to get video out on 2 screens at the same time is a necessity for me.
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I spent this morning in a meeting, reviewing stuff on a projector (from a laptop). For business folks, this is kind of a must-have..
    Something that was pointed out in another thread, that I hadn't really thought about.

When you did that from your laptop, was it HDMI, or VGA out?
    Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    I use the projector in our conference room for meetings nearly every day. In an effort to go paperless this is the only way to reach 20 to 25 people. I also like to update status and do meeting minutes at the same time so a way to get video out on 2 screens at the same time is a necessity for me.
    Same question, when you do this to a projector, is it HDMI or VGA?
    i would say it doesnt really matter... you can buy an hdmi to vga cable if needed

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Something that was pointed out in another thread, that I hadn't really thought about.

When you did that from your laptop, was it HDMI, or VGA out?

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i would say it doesnt really matter... you can buy an hdmi to vga cable if needed
    It was more curiosity on my part. Most projectors I've seen are VGA. Yes, I know you can buy adapters from HDMI to VGA (though the reverse is quite a bit more expensive), but I don't see the point in USB -> HDMI -> VGA.

I'm thinking it's very likely that we'll see USB -> VGA for the TP. Personally, I have no need or use for HDMI. The screens at home are already set for what streaming I need. If I wanted to do presentations, I'd use VGA at every place I can think of. Presentations wouldn't really need high definition.
    HDMI out is great for displaying web content on HDTVs. That's what I would use the HDMI out for. It would be especially nice while traveling and I don't want to watch whatever lame-o TV show at the hotel. Instead, I could just plug my TouchPad into the HDMI and stream some Netflix.

I travel fairly frequently 6-8 trips a year or so, and it would be a feature I would use not only at home for one of my HDTVs, but also on the road.
    i havent had a need personally for home. dont think many will use it really.

but i have remembered back when i was a helpdesk and IS would set up laptop/projectors for many a boardmeetings (because all the execs with fully loaded laptops dont even know how to use them) with those crappy vga projectors and how finicky they were with different laptops differing display res settings to even come on the screen, etc...

boy i would love to just used a tablet... load up a powerpoint or excel or whatever, and the only plugging in is the hdmi (no power supply for the laptop or usb mouse, etc) and the video is automatically recognized and have the user just tap and go.

the hot setup with eventually be wireless... but that's still a while away.

It was more curiosity on my part. Most projectors I've seen are VGA. Yes, I know you can buy adapters from HDMI to VGA (though the reverse is quite a bit more expensive), but I don't see the point in USB -> HDMI -> VGA.

I'm thinking it's very likely that we'll see USB -> VGA for the TP. Personally, I have no need or use for HDMI. The screens at home are already set for what streaming I need. If I wanted to do presentations, I'd use VGA at every place I can think of. Presentations wouldn't really need high definition.
    As someone mentioned earlier there are wireless VGA setups. I don't know if this capability could be added by a 3rd party or HP.
    * Snip
    The connection is VGA at the projector end and I use a VGA out on my now 6 year old TabletPC (which I am looking to replace). Everything is now going HDMI on the device side so I have already identified the HDMI-->VGA adapter that I would need so that part is no big deal...unless of course there is no HDMI port...not even a mini one.
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    I look forward to the day I can wirelessly connect my phone to the projector for a presentation. And just tap the screen to move to the next slide. Or maybe double tap, and use a single tap to play embedded videos.

You could get close to that if the touchpad was plugged in to the projector, and you could control it from your Pre3.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast