Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    dont put words in my mouth and make up imaginary scenarios...

i said the samsung galaxy s has the cable... but it didnt work immediately... THEY needed the software upgrade.

in no way am I saying that cable is going to work on the TP and no way i'm saying that if it doesnt that all it needs is a software upgrade on their part and it will work.

no contradiction my friend... you took it however you wanted and really just wishful thinking on your part.

you obviously dont understand that it takes more than just a cable and magic software for it to work.

I was just showing that it has been shown/proven that hdmi can be sent through a micro usb. if the gpu on the tp supports hdmi then it is possible. whether they designed the hardware to implement it through the port and whether they designed it in their OS is a whole different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    So for all your neysaying, in the same post you are admitting that HP could update software to utilize these universal cables..... I mean the great and powerful Samsung had to do it, nothing stopping HP.

I do love the contradiction in the same post.

But hey lets keep beating this dead horse of micro usb to hdmi that "doesn't exist" even though it *could* be implemented via software update. These forums have been awesome lately with half truths and "confirmed" rumors.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    dont put words in my mouth and make up imaginary scenarios...

i said the samsung galaxy s has the cable... but it didnt work immediately... THEY needed the software upgrade.

in no way am I saying that cable is going to work on the TP and no way i'm saying that if it doesnt that all it needs is a software upgrade on their part and it will work.

no contradiction my friend... you took it however you wanted and really just wishful thinking on your part.

you obviously dont understand that it takes more than just a cable and magic software for it to work.

I was just showing that it has been shown/proven that hdmi can be sent through a micro usb. if the gpu on the tp supports hdmi then it is possible. whether they designed the hardware to implement it through the port and whether they designed it in their OS is a whole different matter.
    You are all over the place today.

What I said is you are saying you KNOW something is not included in the TP, then point out that Samsung didn't have it at launch and had to do a software update.

Nowhere did I say you said the TP has the ability I said you were contradicting yourself by saying you know a feature isn't available when it very well could be available but need a software update.

I fully understand that it takes hardware, the point is you have not stated once that it is POSSIBLE the hardware is there and it needs software. You stated the TP does NOT have it, then stated this feature has been implemented on other OS's with a software update in the same post.

As far as what the TP has, you have no more knowledge than anyone else in this thread, but you as a few others have been doing talk as if you have intimate knowledge, then bash HP and the TP for not having the feature you have just decided is not included.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    <<posts deleted>>

Remember folks... while we respect that everyone had their own opinions/ desires/ wants when it comes to phones and tablets. Lets please stay civil and respect each other. Discussions are fine, but arguing and debating isn't.

If anyone needs a refresher... please read this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...l-members.html

Thank you
    Every projector I work with is VGA, we did recently get a new one that I haven't had an excuse to play with yet, but my guess is it will be VGA.

My experience includes both portable projectors and ceiling mount projectors. To my knowledge, at this point, my employer doesn't have any HDMI projectors.
    many, if not most, projectors now do both. VGA and HDMI.
    The rampant speculation isn't getting anybody anywhere at this point, folks. These topics have been beaten like a meringue. They're just whipped to death.

Conventional microUSB does NOT support any video out (VGA/HDMI/SVideo/Component/Coaxial, etc). There is a power, a ground, and two data channels under the standard. HP has not announced whether they have made the hardware changes necessary to allow video out through their microUSB port on the TouchPad. They HAVE said, through one of their product hardware managers, there are some multimedia capabilities they're holding back on announcing until the launch.

I doubt we'll know anything more until the launch or an HP announcement clearly stating the TouchPad's video out capabilities.

There's no sense in beating people up over their optimism/pessimism.
    ...But hey lets keep beating this dead horse of micro usb to hdmi that "doesn't exist" even though it *could* be implemented via software update. These forums have been awesome lately with half truths and "confirmed" rumors.
    Spot on with that one. It really improved for a while there, but now that the date has been announced, the naysayers are back in force.

I'm anxious to see someone turn on a light, and watch 'em scatter. (Please note, that was not a dis on the mods - by "turn on a light", I mean the device(s) actually being released).

July 1 - light's on day.
    if somebody needs a tv out option, skip this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    if somebody needs a tv out option, skip this thing.
    <staff edit>
    However, I wouldn't say skip this thing, unless you need it right away.

I'd say wait for the launch, see what announcments HP makes. If it's still not available, and you need something right away, buy something else. If you want this, and need that, wait and see what accessories come out.
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/17/2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The rampant speculation isn't getting anybody anywhere at this point, folks. These topics have been beaten like a meringue. They're just whipped to death.

Conventional microUSB does NOT support any video out (VGA/HDMI/SVideo/Component/Coaxial, etc). There is a power, a ground, and two data channels under the standard. HP has not announced whether they have made the hardware changes necessary to allow video out through their microUSB port on the TouchPad. They HAVE said, through one of their product hardware managers, there are some multimedia capabilities they're holding back on announcing until the launch.

I doubt we'll know anything more until the launch or an HP announcement clearly stating the TouchPad's video out capabilities.

But there's no reason to hold it back now. July is only 2 weeks away. If they have something hot, they need to spill it!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    yeah, they could take a look at RIMM circling the bowl right now and try to learn something from them...

If you got something there, no time to hold back... give it everything you got and do it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But there's no reason to hold it back now. July is only 2 weeks away. If they have something hot, they need to spill it!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    many, if not most, projectors now do both. VGA and HDMI.
    First this is new projectors.... not the millions of projectors already in enterprise (or even personal) use.

Regardless of that, I was responding to a question by someone who said he was honestly asking. I was giving my honest personal experience. Especially with the economy the way it is, most people (should say businesses) aren't going to be replacing functioning projectors with new ones until it is required.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

I agree completely, couldn't thank you as the current thanks are some of the hard core forum pessimists.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yeah, tell me about it! I'm not in charge of their marketing department, unfortunately. I don't understand a lot of what the HP marketing strategy has been, but it is what it is. It sounds like the TouchPad has some special capabilities locked away in it that won't come out until the launch. I have no idea what that might be at the moment, though. Could be a 5-1/4" floppy drive accessory for all I know.
    Movies, Presentations......BIGGER SCREEN!
    i had hdmi out on my hp laptop for like 3 years before the laptop died on me. i used it often to show movies when i traveled to my parents and friends house on their giant high def flat screen tvs.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    We referenced how the Epic did not have HDMI/DLNA enabled at launch but got it later. The HDMI/GPU hardware was always there. The Pre 3 and TouchPad specs make no mention of HDMI or DLNA. The Homebrewers can do amazing things but is the hardware there?

But back to the topic of the thread, "Give me a reason for HDMI out"...

Corporate
    1. HDMI adapters convert to VGA/SVGA to old projector or TV's.
    2. Sales departments use iPad/iPad 2 HDMI at a client to show a PowerPoint or video.
    3. Training can connect their iPads to any projector or TV.
    4. Managers justify iPads as being for HDMI for internal presentations.
    5. Make sure your requisition includes HDMI. You may be using these tablets longer than you think.

Consumers
    1. Take HD videos, see them at the time, and then watch on a TV at home.
    2. Play NetFlix, Hulu, HBO, etc. on yours or a Friend's TV.
    3. Rip DVD's or Bluerays and play them on a home, hotel, or friends TV.
    4. Take photos and watch them as a sideshow on your TV instantly.
    5. Even if you don't need HDMI now, it costs no more so why not get it?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/18/2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Can't we just buy a USB to VGA adaptor for video out, presuming that capability is in the machine?
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    OK, time to cut the mustard on this one. All you need is the proper driver to support the USB-VGA adapter of your choice. You could chain a micro to USB to connect to the Touchpad (or get one that has a mico-USB connector on it) and you could add VGA to HDMI adapter if you need HDMI. Done.

HP could easily implement this by making an adapter and it's drivers to accomplish this, as well as pushing third parties for an appropriate driver to support their products.

Ideally, I would prefer a small DLNA device with multiple video/audio connections that you can wirelessly pair with the TouchPad. That way you can walk around with the TouchPad while giving presentations, or using it from the couch if streaming media to a TV. Having the actual connector port would be nice, but there are numerous ways to get around it, and wireless is, by far, the best solution assuming bandwidth is sufficiently available.
    video out would have been awesome....thats not gonna stop me from buying touchpad now but hopefully hp realizes this and will have a touchpad 2 shortly....
    This quote from Craig has always stuck with me because of how true it rings. He said it in reference to the TouchPad not having a rear camera but it's versatile enough to be relevant to any feature the TouchPad lacks:

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Most specs are just that, specs. Who cares what the specs are if it does what you want?

A good competitor finds the holes in your spec sheets and makes them an issue. You find a hundred reasons why that one spec is the most important thing. Look at ATT's new iPhone commercials showing that you can talk and surf the internet at the same time.

How many people under 40 ever talk on thier phones? And need to surf at the same time?

None. They text. Duh.

I bet that people at Palm made the same arguments about why autofocus and zoom did not matter the last time around.

But marketing is about trying to exploit the holes in your competitor's armor. A basic cell phone camera is $1. If we are missing a camera and Apple thinks we are any kind of threat, they will be showing some cool app that require that camera.

You don't want to lose a $600 fight over a $1 part.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast