Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    • You're assuming they won't ship 16gb versions to stores
    • How many are they shipping to stores? You seem convinced of 2, but I know that's not the number for every store
    • It's up to Netflix to put Netflix out there.

The rest are a lot less "strategy" and more "wish lists". The device can sell without 2 cameras, microsd slots, hdmi, and a bigger battery
    Let me clue you in :

Good enough isn't good enough to have any sort of market traction anymore, period.

All of that stuff you just listed, is on a tablet, @ the same pricepoint as the touchpad, and has access to thousands of ready to go tablet applications in every category you can imagine from business to gaming to technical documents, etc.

That's been my whole point this whole time. Good enough isn't good enough any longer.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Congratulations, you just discovered the difference between uncompiled web code performance compared to compiled and optimized lower level code.

WebOS will likely never preform as well as IOS in the ways you describe. The trade off is multitasking is easier and programming apps is easier and faster.

To achieve iOS-like performance that you describe would require a rewrite of every app to compiled code (C++).
    untrue. case in point : Wordpress sites on the iPad. running in safari it simulates a native iOS app with screen transitions, gestures and menu effects using nothing but web standards. runs just like it was a native app, and if you save a bookmark to one as a launcher icon it'll run full screen hiding any trace of the web browser.

I've been a webOS zealot since 6/6 and I will continue to own webOS phones until they don't make them anymore. my day-to-day is a VZW Pre2 and I love it. but I give credit where it is due, the iPad2 is a fantastic tablet and deserves the accolades and it gets, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Sadly, that may be the case. I "assume" it will perform better than my wife's Nook Color, which while it can be made an android tablet and can be used as such, it certainly isn't an enjoyable experience. But how much better it performs is the question.

I have not had the pleasure of using a Pre2 or even a Pre+ just my old Pre, so I may be worried for nothing, as I figure the tablet should be at least as fast as those devices. Regardless, I accept lag on the phone cause its a phone, but in my opinion, if I am going to use a tablet, i want the experience to blow me away. I don't want to see any jerkiness when bringing up the launcher, jerkiness scrolling in a website (after its fully rendered, I don't mind it being choppy while its loading, that is a fact of life). I want card view to zoom around, I want lists to feel smooth, I want the calendar to react immediately and I want transitions between scenes to be fluid. None of that happens on my original Pre (I know its old hardware) but I don't think its too much to ask for on a device the size of a tablet.
    Much progress has been made in that department, you may be surprised if you use a Touchpad to see so.

However, if you use a touchpad next to an ipad, you will notice the ipad APPEARING smoother and faster, most likely.

They will continue to improve this over time. But keep in mind, all you can ever really expect is 1:1 performance with only one App open, that's a fair comparison. You don't compare performance on computers with one computer running several apps and the other computer running one before benchmarks are taken.

If it were possible to match or beat iOS scrolling performance while multitasking, Apple would have done it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Then go to make line on day one. The pre2 does it already.
    Not sure what you mean with the "go to make line on day one." But if you are saying the Pre2 already does what I am asking then I still have hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Let me clue you in :

Good enough isn't good enough to have any sort of market traction anymore, period.

All of that stuff you just listed, is on a tablet, @ the same pricepoint as the touchpad, and has access to thousands of ready to go tablet applications in every category you can imagine from business to gaming to technical documents, etc.

That's been my whole point this whole time. Good enough isn't good enough any longer.
    Guess we'll have to see. At least one person (besides myself) was willing to back up predicitions with a bet. Are you?

Or maybe you're not quite as firmly "clued in" as you think?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Not sure what you mean with the "go to make line on day one." But if you are saying the Pre2 already does what I am asking then I still have hope.
    yes sir. the Pre2 is worlds beyond the original Pre in the speed department. I won't say that there aren't moments where it doesn't exhibit some lag, but on the whole it's a great device. I'm sure the Pre3 will improve on it further.
    Sooooo back to the topic. I'd say this write up is pretty well done. Especially for somebody with their first post. It seems pretty balanced.

I think double the Playbook is realistic as the TouchPad is a 10" device, but I don't think you can project the 500,000 over 1Q to a sustained purchase pattern for the tablet. We'll have to watch the trend for the Playbook sales to see if 2Q purchases drop way off.
    it can sell... but people will naturally look at comparable models and start adding the pluses and minuses. many will not have ever seen webos so will not know much about it and the ui will be a positive, but they will start comparing.

when i go to bestbuy to shop for... anything... i am comparing the labels they display for specs/features/prices...

you look at $499 between two models and then start adding the negatives...

- hdmi - most home users i do not think they will ever use hdmi (i havent), but most other tabs have it and people want to know they have it like the others if they ever want to or they get a tv that will have it.

- rear camera - i admit the cameras do suck on the ipad2 but i will also say that i have actually used the rear quite often on chats.

- apps - and yes people will not use even a fraction of the gazillion number of apps available... but with those numbers increases the likelyhood that you can probably find an app for whatever topic you can think of and search for the fun of and be pleasantly surprised.

when you have a few negatives, it makes it a harder sell for people. for some people can handle one... probably two negatives... beyond a couple and i have to say it's a hard sell at same price.

Then i just read that the touchstone isnt included and an added cost? sheez... they should be including them imo for that price to offer a neat gimmic that the others dont have. imo that was a bad decision... your cost then if you get one could be $599?!

it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds after july 1st. still hoping for a shock and awe marketing campaign a week or two before launch. we'll see.

• You're assuming they won't ship 16gb versions to stores
    • How many are they shipping to stores? You seem convinced of 2, but I know that's not the number for every store
    • It's up to Netflix to put Netflix out there.

The rest are a lot less "strategy" and more "wish lists". The device can sell without 2 cameras, microsd slots, hdmi, and a bigger battery
    [*]You're assuming they won't ship 16gb versions to stores[*]How many are they shipping to stores? You seem convinced of 2, but I know that's not the number for every store[*]It's up to Netflix to put Netflix out there.

its not hp' fault! blame this and that. sorry won't cut for a buyer. you think they care whose fault that is?

yeah. sell, sell just one unit is sell too, or if you are confident, put out a number.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    its not hp' fault! blame this and that. sorry won't cut for a buyer. you think they care whose fault that is?

yeah. sell, sell just one unit is sell too, or if you are confident, put out a number.
    Let's be frank... it's always your fault.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Then i just read that the touchstone isnt included and an added cost? sheez... they should be including them imo for that price to offer a neat gimmic that the others dont have. imo that was a bad decision... your cost then if you get one could be $599?!
    **This** at least 10 times over. Its amazing to me that H/Palm has been SO far ahead of the curve on inductive charging, yet completely drops the ball with it. Every person who sees the touchstone says "wow, that's really cool." This would be the perfect way to have the price point match the iPad (for those who believe the price is a marketting ploy) while still giving the tablet some seriously extra pizazz. Plus, I saw the touchstone as a nicety with the Pre but with the touchpad I see it as a huge boon.

Just like with the original Pre, there is no freaking way I am spending $80 on a charger...and I wonder if this touchtone which cheap out on including a a power adapter too! Here's to hoping that every new touchpad comes with a coupon for a touchstone!
    **This** at least 10 times over. Its amazing to me that H/Palm has been SO far ahead of the curve on inductive charging, yet completely drops the ball with it. Every person who sees the touchstone says "wow, that's really cool." This would be the perfect way to have the price point match the iPad (for those who believe the price is a marketting ploy) while still giving the tablet some seriously extra pizazz. Plus, I saw the touchstone as a nicety with the Pre but with the touchpad I see it as a huge boon.

Just like with the original Pre, there is no freaking way I am spending $80 on a charger...and I wonder if this touchtone which cheap out on including a a power adapter too! Here's to hoping that every new touchpad comes with a coupon for a touchstone!
    The issue with this is... who are you going to sell Touchstones to, if you give them for free to the target customers?
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think Beats are a joint venture between
    Dre and Jimmy Iovine, manufacturered and distributed by Monster. IIRC HP only licenses the brand.
    I think HP can properly take credit for the ability (via marketing and with help from Dre, but who says they can't get his help for the TP) to make a product sell for more than its mere parts would warrant. This is just to address the point that Apple can only sell at that price because of their name. HP has not done it yet, but they are capable of turning TP into a name that warrants a similar markup.
    The issue with this is... who are you going to sell Touchstones to, if you give them for free to the target customers?
    I suspect that Palm did relatively well selling the TouchStone, and that's likely why HP is going the route they're going. I'd also say we're likely to see some "specials" on pricing of it.

I have about 5 touchstones between my Pre and my wife's Pixi. I bought the first one at retail, but used my $20 off coupon from Sprint. The rest I picked up here and for closer to $30 each.
    I have 3 touchstones for the Pre (they are so cheap now). I would definitely like 2 for the touchpad eventually. One for the living room where it'll live and one for the kitchen. Many many people on these forums talk about their multiple touchstones. So I would say, quite a few people would still buy them and it'll also give HP something to REALLY outclass the competition.
    You give ONE for free. Once new buyers see how cool they are they will want more. One for work, one for bedside, one for desk, one for kitchen, one for locker room, one for shower....

I agree that HP passed up a golden opportunity by not including the touchstone. At the very least they should have run a promotion for the first week of launch to include one.

Early adopters of a brand new OS/Device should be rewarded.
    the answer is... no don't. you include it with the TP... value add.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the answer is... no don't. you include it with the TP... value add.
    Especially on the 32 GB model. Pack in the Touchstone, and that makes it a tad more enticing.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    like ship 16gb version to stores
    like ship more to stores
    Reading the P|C front page article about Staples offerning the Touchpad for presales, it looks like that blows the 2 per store theory.

They're also offering the 16gb version.
    Reading the P|C front page article about Staples offerning the Touchpad for presales, it looks like that blows the 2 per store theory.

They're also offering the 16gb version.
    do you even read what you are referencing? thats online pre-order and delivery only.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast