Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    That has nothing to do with optimization, but with design decissions. As far as I know, iOS doesn't allow free scrolling on webpages. It renders the portion before showing it. webOS does it the opposite, so you see the checkedboard, but you can scroll freely.

About lists, it's a matter of having hardware acceleration or not, and how the list data is loaded.
    Even then, with multiple apps open, you will ALWAYS be able to lag your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Even then, with multiple apps open, you will ALWAYS be able to lag your device.
    Of course. iOS is all based on smoke and mirrors; they use those like nobody else, but just smoke and mirrors.
    Newness Developments apps:

Of course. iOS is all based on smoke and mirrors; they use those like nobody else, but just smoke and mirrors.
    Exactly.

And, unfortunately, as you can see from the past few posts, their magic tricks work on many.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think it's funny/sad that the iPhanatics come on here, constantly dis anything but "their babies", then even when contemplating the possible success of another product, attribute it somehow to "their babies".
    Oh get off it already. I've said multiple times that I don't like apple products. I hate itunes and I have no desire to own any of them.

But at the same time, I have enough common sense to know that if HP is going to sell *that* many of them, they are going to need to market it such that they can reach a large group of people that will already be inclined to head for the ipad before entering the store.

Skepticism of the TPs success is not the same thing as wishing apple to have more sales.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    HP has been successful at creating a popular branded product to the main stream consumer. Look at the "Beats" line of headphones, people certainly have been paying "brand name" premiums for those products.
    Yeah, that's what I mean. It will be interesting to see if they can do that with the TP. Just as those rather average headphones wouldn't sell at that price without being all "beats-ed" out.

-Suntan
    Smoke and mirrors?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Smoke and mirrors?
    Absolutely. Graphics accelerated by hardware and hiding what's happening. Smoke and mirrors.

Nothing to do (in most cases) with compiled vs. Interpreted, or OS performance.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by deCorvett; 06/17/2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that HP plans on selling four million TPs the first year. Since RIM just announced that they shipped 500,000 Playbooks last quarter, we can, perhaps, give them credit for something like 400K sales in one quarter. That means that HP is planning on the TP doing roughly twice the sales of the Playbook. I believe the Playbook did roughly twice the sales of the Motorola Xoom.

Anyone have any thoughts about whether or not the TP will do as well as HP thinks?
    hehe. no. no way. no way in hell with jose.

its nice they have the goal. its sad they dont have right strategy for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Or, maybe in the world of folks that see something besides fruit, it will be because they built a good product and marketed it well.

I think it's funny/sad that the iPhanatics come on here, constantly dis anything but "their babies", then even when contemplating the possible success of another product, attribute it somehow to "their babies".
    The guy asked if you think hp can sell 4 million in a year. why not give a number? i did, i bet on it, and im not afraid being wrong. heck. i wish hp luck and would love to be wrong if hp sells this thing like hot cackes.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

Of course, it's absolutely impossible that HP, the largest technology company in the world, could sell more devices than the electronics shop in my street.

Just asking... what's "the right strategy" for you?

Of course, it's absolutely impossible that HP, the largest technology company in the world, could sell more devices than the electronics shop in my street.
    yeah. thats what i said. you agree with 4 million sales a year? lets check back next june.!
    Just asking... what's "the right strategy" for you?
    like ship 16gb version to stores
    like ship more to stores
    like implement important apps, such as netflix. office editing
    like lower the price by 50-100
    like put some competitive hardwares in there, like 2 cameras, like microsd slot, like hdmi, like a bigger battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You'll never be buying one then.
    Sadly, that may be the case. I "assume" it will perform better than my wife's Nook Color, which while it can be made an android tablet and can be used as such, it certainly isn't an enjoyable experience. But how much better it performs is the question.

I have not had the pleasure of using a Pre2 or even a Pre+ just my old Pre, so I may be worried for nothing, as I figure the tablet should be at least as fast as those devices. Regardless, I accept lag on the phone cause its a phone, but in my opinion, if I am going to use a tablet, i want the experience to blow me away. I don't want to see any jerkiness when bringing up the launcher, jerkiness scrolling in a website (after its fully rendered, I don't mind it being choppy while its loading, that is a fact of life). I want card view to zoom around, I want lists to feel smooth, I want the calendar to react immediately and I want transitions between scenes to be fluid. None of that happens on my original Pre (I know its old hardware) but I don't think its too much to ask for on a device the size of a tablet.
    like ship more to stores
    like put some competitive hardwares in there, like 2 cameras, like microsd slot, like hdmi, like a bigger battery
    All together? I mean, lowering the price 100 bucks and also add to it 2 cameras, microsd slot (without removing internal storage, of course), add hdmi and a bigger battery.

To that, add 100 units on each store in the world, so anyone could pick their TP, and this way avoid any line that could happen, as everyone knows, no lines is always better than lines.

More stores like?

You sure they don't have a strategy? Or could it possibly be that they just haven't told you what it was yet?
    The guy asked if you think hp can sell 4 million in a year. why not give a number? i did, i bet on it, and im not afraid being wrong. heck. i wish hp luck and would love to be wrong if hp sells this thing like hot cackes.
    I've already done so, in response to your number.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    if I am going to use a tablet, i want the experience to blow me away. I don't want to see any jerkiness when bringing up the launcher, jerkiness scrolling in a website (after its fully rendered, I don't mind it being choppy while its loading, that is a fact of life). I want card view to zoom around, I want lists to feel smooth, I want the calendar to react immediately and I want transitions between scenes to be fluid.
    Then go to make line on day one. The pre2 does it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    HP has been successful at creating a popular branded product to the main stream consumer. Look at the "Beats" line of headphones, people certainly have been paying "brand name" premiums for those products.
    I think Beats are a joint venture between
    Dre and Jimmy Iovine, manufacturered and distributed by Monster. IIRC HP only licenses the brand.
    • You're assuming they won't ship 16gb versions to stores
    • How many are they shipping to stores? You seem convinced of 2, but I know that's not the number for every store
    • It's up to Netflix to put Netflix out there.

The rest are a lot less "strategy" and more "wish lists". The device can sell without 2 cameras, microsd slots, hdmi, and a bigger battery

like ship more to stores
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast