Hi all

I found this an intriguing article.

take care,

Jay

Making a case for webOS-based HP Foleo smartbook

BY: DUSAN BELIC, INTOMOBILE
    THURSDAY, JUNE 16TH, 2011 AT 12:10 AM

Making a case for webOS-based HP Foleo smartbook

It was back in 2007 when Palm unveiled its first laptop-like device, Foleo. Then, few months later, they killed it, promising to focus on smartphones. As time got by we saw the netbook market exploding only to be superseded by the increasing popularity of tablets.

In 2009 I posted two rants on why Palm should revive its Foleo concept. It’s 2011 now and I believe it’s time to repeat some of the points I mentioned then.

First of all HP needs more than few devices in order to make webOS a success. Let’s face it – HP will have hard time mimicking Apple’s strategy. The Cupertino boys entered the market when there were not that many cool smartphones around, especially in the U.S. Today the situation is completely different with so many awesome Android devices out there plus the iPhone 4 (and soon iPhone 5). In other words, in order to make its devices and the overall platform interesting for the end users and developers, HP should make sure webOS devices rock. And to cater to different user preferences, they better have different form factors. Microsoft’s strategy with the Windows Phone 7 launch was similar when you think about it.

Second, I believe Foleo was an interesting concept only poorly executed. The Asus Transformer is just the opposite – it’s not “yet another tablet” but much more, providing users both with a tablet and netbook experiences. Such a device running webOS could certainly help HP get some media love. Additionally, Asus’ other device, Padfone, is also pretty impressive.

Finally, HP is established supplier of hardware and services to businesses all around the world and they should be able to push a device like Foleo to their enterprise customers. When you think about it, HP has a scale and resources Palm never had.

In any case, we’re looking forward to finally see the next-gen webOS devices released. Personally I would to see a bit smaller TouchPad and the Pre 3 with a bigger screen and better (BlackBerry-like) keyboard.

I’m eager to hear what do you think about it. Would you be interested in a webOS-based Foleo? Comments form is all yours.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Revive the Foleo & Treo brand & put webOS on them. I'd say that's a win.
    FoleoFanatics are alive!!

I would be more excited about this than the Touchpad to be honest..

I'm sure Alan Grasia would agree to this wherever he is!
    Some kind of webOS netbook has always been my first choice. Palm had too many episodes of being ahead of their time product-wise and a little clueless marketing-wise.
  5.    #5  
    Hi,

HP has mentioned a Netbook running webOS several times....I hadn't given it much thought, but a netbook running webOS is a very nice evolution of the Folio!

I like the idea since it should be light as a feather and there are times at least for me that typing on glass or audio input isn't as fast as just typing!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It will have to come with a touchscreen though...

I can totally see HP getting ahead of everyone in this market... a chance to defign a product category AHEAD of Apple... A touchscreen netbook with GSM radio would be a killer device... HP could make that their own.
    YES! I want the webOS Foleo! 10 inch screen & as thin as a MacBook Air. If that's even possible, it would be awesome.
    Just as long as it's not EXACTLY like a Foleo in how the Foleo required you to have a PalmOS device if you wanted it to work. That's what Moto is doing with the Atrix dock and what Asus is doing with the transformer... And the idea is a bad one.

Meanwhile, HP has announced that ALL of their PCs (and i'm assuming that those would include netbooks) will ship with webOS - so that's great, and if they do the good thing and make webOS a dual-boot option, quickbooting into webOS, from where you can launch win7 if you need it, that would kill chromebooks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I doubt if the general public will grasp the concept of dual boot and know what to do with it.

If HP decides to do a Foleo Redeux I hope its webOS to the core!

I don't see why HP cannot do a limited release at least and see how the market responds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I doubt if the general public will grasp the concept of dual boot and know what to do with it.

If HP decides to do a Foleo Redeux I hope its webOS to the core!

I don't see why HP cannot do a limited release at least and see how the market responds to it.

They're grasping it just fine in BootCamp (note that Mac users always like to make themselves out as perfectly clueless people who are using Macs because they're so easy to understand while PC users need to read manuals and do research because Windows is soooo hard and difficult and complicated - and THEY grasp BootCamp), so they'd grasp it even better if one of the buttons in the quick-launch bar was a Windows logo which, when tapped, switched you into Windows. Although I'm still predicting that 75% of people would simply stay in webOS for 75% of the time because it lets you do everything the average user does in their day-to-day computer usage (which is internet and email).

As for limited releases: a limited release would mean that not everybody on this forum will get one on day one ("FAIL!"), would be equated to a soft launch ("HUGE FAIL!"), would be interpreted as HP themselves being unsure why the thing even exists ("EPIC FAIL!!") and, of course, if they only made 50,000, they could only sell 50,000 ("HUGE FAILING FAIL OF EPICNESS!!!").

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I can totally see HP getting ahead of everyone in this market... a chance to defign a product category AHEAD of Apple... A touchscreen netbook with GSM radio would be a killer device... HP could make that their own.
    Cue perfectly abject yawning in the tech press over HP trying to reinvent the wheel with a silly thing like a touchscreen netbook. Then, two years after HP only sold 12 of them, Apple comes along with the revolutionary and never-before-seen iBook Touch which completely redefines netbooks as we know them. And if we timidly mention that HP did it before with webOS, the answer will only be "HAHAHA, and who wanted those?? NOBODY! This is the first product that people actually want!"
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/17/2011 at 04:48 AM.
    WebOS will run on top of Windows. HP has some unannounced tricks up their sleeves that will make this more interesting than it sounds at first glance.
    Instant loading WebOs based netbook with touch screen, PPTP VPN and RDP support finaly implemented in OS could be a better way for HP than spamming ordinary PC/notebooks with WebOS.