Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is for the broke people that plan on searching all over the place for a few bucks to buy the touchpad. Two months ago, I was ready to buy. Now after weeks of waffling on whether I need this device I'm officially on "want if I have the money" list. With all that said here is my path to getting a TP.

Sell my asus eee. Right now a good one sells for $100. I'll also sell some used light stands and a red centro. That will probably put me at $300. So I'm still short $200. I'll cover that with my paycheck. $100 per month. So I'm about 2 months out. Who knows the price might drop by then.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 06/16/2011 at 07:28 PM.
    get a cit credit card that offers $100 back after you spend $500.

monitor mastercardmarketplace for a %50 discount.

I will not buy it, but tips may help somebody.
    My cheapskate path to the TouchPad, sadly, involves waiting for the TouchPad 2 to roll around and the TouchPad 1 to get cheaper

That's Plan B. Plan A is to win the lottery...

Plan B it is.
    I've been trading in dvds and games to Amazon, have just about $300 credit now, so just have to pay $200 or $300 out of pocket depending on if I want the 16GB or 32GB version, still undecided on that.
    ummm... i dont think i cant say on this board i may get Banned/arrested
    I feel like if you are a 'broke peep', you are not in the market for a touchpad anyways. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I feel like if you are a 'broke peep', you are not in the market for a touchpad anyways. Just my 2 cents.

Have to agree with you. I love WebOS, but if I were hard strapped for money, I don't think I would buy a tablet at all, much less one that we really know nothing about yet, which adds not much in the way of advances over other more moderately priced tablets. The exception would be if you specifically need a tablet for what you do, and I haven't seen very many people in that situation. The professionals that I know that use them have specific uses that make them an advantage over a laptop, but otherwise they seem like simply media devices at this point.

So the question is: do you WANT one, or do you NEED one?
    Don't need one but want one. As long as I'm able to pay my bills an have enough to put away and keep on me for the week, I'm happy. I'll be getting one, not day 1 but I'll get it in July.
    If you have decent credit, apply for a BestBuy store card (if you don't already have one, that is). 18 months, no interest. Comes out to ~$31 /month. I've always bought my big ticket stuff this way, works for me.

Plus if the TP sucks or i don't like it, 2 weeks return policy, no restocking fee, walk in and out.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMedina View Post
    Don't need one but want one. As long as I'm able to pay my bills an have enough to put away and keep on me for the week, I'm happy. I'll be getting one, not day 1 but I'll get it in July.
    I feel your pain. I was hoping my wife and son would pony up to buy me one for Father's Day, but then we got smacked by some unexpected expenses.

Probably good to wait until all the early adopters identify the bugs and the device gets some patches, and somebody like CostCo offers 'em at a savings.

But yeah, don't need one, but want one. I wish I knew what Sprint's roadmap for webOS was like, because what I do need is a new phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I feel your pain. I was hoping my wife and son would pony up to buy me one for Father's Day, but then we got smacked by some unexpected expenses.

Probably good to wait until all the early adopters identify the bugs and the device gets some patches, and somebody like CostCo offers 'em at a savings.

But yeah, don't need one, but want one. I wish I knew what Sprint's roadmap for webOS was like, because what I do need is a new phone..

Same here, the shocks & struts on my car need to get replaced so that's the main reason why I can't get it day 1. When the car broke down I seen the TouchPad slipping away, it was a sad day. Lol
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I just signed up for DirecTV at a BestBuy and got a $50 BB gift card. I am going to use it on my TouchPad purchase.
    I'm going to wait until my hometown team losses a championship series and loot one in the riot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I'm going to wait until my hometown team losses a championship series and loot one in the riot.
    quick. move to south beach!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post

I knew my expenses were arriving soon thought TP would be out in April. Paid kids summer school early for the discount. Student loans kicked in too after being deferred for years. I'm probably be negative this whole year. Any webos stuff will be from selling old stuff.

Separate but related: I was thinking of selling my old macbook pro and use the pre3/touchpad as a laptop replacement. Most stuff I do is on the cloud anyways: email, calendar, office suite. The only program I need is a good video editing program on tp and I'll be set.
    im scheduled to go into a shady operating room, on a shady part of town so they can extract one of my kidneys for re-sale. Should be plenty enough for the 16gig.

in all seriousness, ive been setting aside 20$-50$ here and there since feb 9th.
    If it does, by some miracle have a valid video out option, I'll be using the 5 finger dis... I mean, I'll check out at the register.
    Um, you can't say that. "Broke" is a derogatory term and may be inflamatory to certain people.

Mods: Please update the thread title to "Financially challenged peeps, how will you afford the TouchPad"

TY

(kidding of course )
    Simple, just pull out the plastic.
    I'm subsidizing my touchpad purchase with revenue from apps.

If you guys really want one, that's the best way to do it!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast