Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am going to try to build an app for the TouchPad and get a dev device to use.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I'm going to get a bestbuy credit card to get mine.
    i'm going to put my sister to work on the streets to finance my touchpad.
    I'll either take out an extra $500 in student loans, or get a credit card to buy one. Probably get a credit card (I don't have one yet).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    If you have decent credit, apply for a BestBuy store card (if you don't already have one, that is). 18 months, no interest. Comes out to ~$31 /month. I've always bought my big ticket stuff this way, works for me.

Plus if the TP sucks or i don't like it, 2 weeks return policy, no restocking fee, walk in and out.
    Looks like this is how ill be picking up my pre3 and touchpad
    Won $300 from my NCAA bracket back in march + collected a $100 BB gift card from my chase dedit card reward points + $100 I saved all I gotta do is pay for my taxes and touchstone

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I hate to be a prude, but I'm reading a number of posts with people who realistically can't afford the TouchPad, get into debt, and doing stupid stuff to be able to get the TouchPad. Let's put things into perspective, for many, this will just be another toy. If you don't really need the TouchPad and can't afford it, save up and buy it later. $499 is a lot of money and is at least several weeks (or more!) worth of groceries.

But for heaven's sake, it's not worth selling your kidney for. Besides, you don't want to contribute to the return statistic, do you?

Drooling at the reviews, and playing with it at the B&M store is free!
    Last edited by sooby77; 06/18/2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Well said.
    Wife and I are busy selling everything we don't need anymore. I have my backup Nikon D50 camera on Craigslist as we speak and hoping it goes sooner then later. My wife is selling her Buell Blast that would easily cover the cost, but it is also waiting.

One thing differently this year, my wife and I will not be charging it. We've given up on Credit Cards and financing will also not be an option unless we can workout Zero Interest options like we did years ago when bought our living room and payed it off early at Rooms to Go.

Actually, to be honest we really need phones more the tablets and may have to just wait and see what comes next month to ATT and Verizon with their Pre 3 releases. My wife wants a Veer, but would prefer it on Sprint or Verizon that I think is on 6-month exclusive with ATT? I hope I am wrong and we'll just have to wait and see. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Agreed. Don't go in to debt over a touchpad (even though I know half of you were joking around). Here's how I'm getting one to play with: convinced the company I work for that they're really great so my boss is planning on buying one for the managers to use as well as run some web based business apps he has in development. My convincing must have been good because he not only owns a Droid 2 and *loves it* he also owns a Xoom and his wife owns an iPhone. Here's to making some converts out of them.

- Phil -
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    My birthday is next week so I guess we'll see after that. However I haven't gotten a gift since I turned 18 from anyone...so...yeah.

I am moving at the end of this month though so maybe I'll find junk to sell. As much as I like web-os, I can't put anything more on my BB CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Looks like this is how ill be picking up my pre3 and touchpad
    Ditto.

Besides, getting a credit card to buy this will help me build credit. I'll be able to afford the $31 a month more than loans anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I feel like if you are a 'broke peep', you are not in the market for a touchpad anyways. Just my 2 cents.
    You are if you're a developer who's in debt.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I hate to be a prude, but I'm reading a number of posts with people who realistically can't afford the TouchPad, get into debt, and doing stupid stuff to be able to get the TouchPad. Let's put things into perspective, for many, this will just be another toy.
    so true. hp priced this thing towards certain market, and that market is largely well-off people.

no need to rush in and buy this thing. for most people, there are alot this thing need to prove to be worth the money its asking for.

just wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I hate to be a prude, but I'm reading a number of posts with people who realistically can't afford the TouchPad, get into debt, and doing stupid stuff to be able to get the TouchPad. Let's put things into perspective, for many, this will just be another toy. If you don't really need the TouchPad and can't afford it, save up and buy it later. $499 is a lot of money and is at least several weeks (or more!) worth of groceries.

But for heaven's sake, it's not worth selling your kidney for. Besides, you don't want to contribute to the return statistic, do you?

Drooling at the reviews, and playing with it at the B&M store is free!
    Also, if one has to scrape around to save $499 for a TouchPad, then you can't really afford it. It would be better to set that money aside for real emergencies.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Im 16(almost 17), And I have a part time job a car that I dont need to make payments on because it was a gift from my mom who payed it off and got another. And she has taught me the ways of good financing. She only has one credit card and just for building credit(shes 750+). Im going to do the same. Get a BB creditcard interest free and just make simple payments for the touchpad. I think anybody could go this route if they're in good financial standing and have a paying job. $31 bucks a month and u can pay off early. Thats easily not eating out for 2 weeks for most Americans.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    If you don't have a stable and secure income (read: real full-time job), you don't have any disposable income, period. TouchPad is not a necessity, and for many, they use their disposable income for tablets. Those of you who are getting a credit card just to buy a toy is really in denial. Yes, $31 seems doable. But you know what, **** happens. What are you going to do if your car suddenly die, or you need cash to take care of other more important things? Think farther ahead, and not just next week/month. Using a credit card to build credit? I'm sure there are better ways to build credit.

When I was in college, I had the same thinking. Yeah, I can afford that on credit with an on-campus job. Then a new toy came around, and I also thought, yeah, I can do that too. Before I know it, I am deep in debt. Those interest rates pile up. The moment you miss a payment, your APR shoots up like mad! Read the fine-print! I just cleared my credit 2 years ago, and it took me a damn long time. Have some financial self-restraint in this instant-gratification world. Your credit is not worth ruining for a toy. The ramification is too great and will affect you for years.

For me, in general, if I can't afford a toy with cash, I can't afford it, period. And that's OK by me.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    It would be better to set that money aside for real emergencies.

keyword: real emergencies
    I've been giving this a lot of thought. Do I really want to spend almost $900 on something that can't function as my day-to-day work device? (If I get the TP, I'm GETTING the accessories.)

What I want is a Foleo-like device running webOS, but I need something that can run Audacity and Paint.NET, since I use them quite a bit, and there are no good mobile apps to replace them (that I know of).

So, I decided to just wait until HP starts putting webOS on their netbooks. I'm hoping to get a 10.1-inch SSD netbook. It will have the connectivity of webOS and the form factor & functionality of a netbook. I'll have my physical keyboard, HDMI-out, card slots, etc. I may not necessarily save any money that way, but it will do what I need it to do and have webOS. Win-win.

Like someone else said, I'll just go play around with them at the store and get my fix. :P
    Last edited by katefields; 06/19/2011 at 02:39 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast