Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is the email I received from my HP Rep today... Although doc editing will not be available out of the box, we will have it shortly.

I was also pleased to see that my Palm Pre apps will all work (and NOT in an emulation window). They will scale I am told.

From the HP Rep.....

Great questions. Here are the answers for you:

There will be tax added to the order based on your local tax rate.

The TouchPad will come with a Micro USB charger in the box. It will work with a touchstone as well.

You current Palm Profile with transfer over to the Touchpad seamlessly with access to all your apps in full scale. No emulation window.

At launch the TouchPad will only have document read capabilities. However, an over the air update is in the works right now to get full editing capabilities. So that will be pushed out to all TouchPads shortly after launch.

I would love to extend any discounting I have to you. We will not have any discounts on the TouchPad, but I am not sure about the accessories. I cannot send out any free items, but I will do the overnight shipping for free, and if we are allowed any discount levels on accessories I will certainly apply that to your order. We will know about discount levels on Sunday.

I will be in the office on Sunday and I can give you a call to discuss.

Best,

Sam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuel Kramer
    Inside Sales Representative

Small & Medium Business

Phone: 800-277-8988 ext. 7810836

Fax: 1-505-796-5183
    Office Hours: 6:00am - 3:00pm Mountain Time

samuel.e.kramer@hp.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Order Status and Returns: 1-800-888-5858, Opt 4
    For Technical Support: 1-800-334-5144
    I heard that "over the air update" crap before.

I don't believe it. If that's important to somebody, don't buy it. Wait until that "update" actually got delivered.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    nice, at least they all seem to be on the same page. im pertty impressed with the communication HP has been putting out
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    well, since Feb 9th they said editing for Word and Excel would happen day 1.

I also agree with comments above - we have heard about OTA updates before. This may well push off my purchase to a later date - or better yet once again to another brand of tablet. time will tell
    Why doesn't HP just pull out the check book and buy QuickOffice before someone else does. For them to not have editing available after all this time and all the hype... is a bad thing. Even though I can understand why it's taking so long (probably couldn't start building it until Enyo was available) it's just too long for something that is essential to many tablet buyers, and an expectation that HP set when they announced the TouchPad.

Paaalm!!! Hurry up on this one, please!
    Wow that is bad news especially for the enterprise push they are making. Maybe not as big a blunder as RIM releasing the playbook with no native e-mail client but pretty close. Shortly better be a period of weeks and not months.
    Well, this is precisely what I alluded to in the "No Apps" thread. Is this the same old song and dance? Sure looks like it from here.
    this must be a bad joke...

right hp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Wow that is bad news especially for the enterprise push they are making. Maybe not as big a blunder as RIM releasing the playbook with no native e-mail client but pretty close. Shortly better be a period of weeks and not months.
    Precisely. This makes little to no sense.

If it's to be an enterprise class device, you would think that something as simple as editing documents would be part of the deal.
    This is exactly why I decided to jump ship finally last week to Att and the iPhone :/. They have been promising an docs editing app since day one. Data viz was a launch partner and was suppose to have full doc to go shortly after launch. Well 2 yrs later we still don't have anything and now we hear after Hp has stated several times that the TP would have it at launch and now it's gonna be out "shortly" after? Such a bummer . Glad I jumped ship rather than face more disappointment :/

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I was also pleased to see that my Palm Pre apps will all work (and NOT in an emulation window). They will scale I am told.
    Just another a rep told me story.
    Last week Dr.Battery was running on an emulation windows or maybe I need new glasses.
    Thanks for the post OP. It has cemented my decision that for the time being I need to look elsewhere. webOS is the best by a long shot, but I need document editing in my line of work and I have lived the last 18 months without it. (But with lots of promises!) Sigh.
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    Very few enterprises are going to be snapping up a TouchPad on Day 1. If HP is really going to be using this internally, though, that will drive their enterprise goals, and doc editing is going to be very high on that list. I have little doubt that it will be there.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    From what we can tell, over the past few years, document editing is not that simple. Not if you want to be able to import a document with all of the formatting and save it with the same formatting so that it doesn't get messed up on the PC side. The fact that there are only a few companies that have enabled it on smartphones is indicative of that fact.
    yeah. but the fact is still that android or iOS have 4 or 5 apps can do this, and hp can't get any of them to put out one for webOS in a year? its all linux. exactly why so difficult?
    Because Microsoft's documentation of its Office 2007 and later formats is extremely poor. Their own products do not comply with what they submitted to become an ISO standard, and even projects like OpenOffice (which had the backing of Oracle at one time) had difficulty putting together code that would reliably product what Office products produced.

To further suggest how difficult it might be, Microsoft's own Office team has had to produce updates for the Office Compatibility Pack used by Office XP and Office 2003 to address compatibility.
    Does anybody believe what comes from an HP reps mouth right now? There were other posts about HP reps saying the TouchPad wouldn't be available on the 1st, after the release date was formally announced, in this very forum.

HP reps are clearly as ill informed as Sprint reps as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Because Microsoft's documentation of its Office 2007 and later formats is extremely poor. Their own products do not comply with what they submitted to become an ISO standard, and even projects like OpenOffice (which had the backing of Oracle at one time) had difficulty putting together code that would reliably product what Office products produced.

To further suggest how difficult it might be, Microsoft's own Office team has had to produce updates for the Office Compatibility Pack used by Office XP and Office 2003 to address compatibility.
    that does not seem to stop ppl from writing excellent apps for android or iOS in short time.

blaming MS, Im afraid, won't be useful this time around. after all, quickoffice is not an upstart, its there for linux based android for quite a while.

somebody at hp should be fired.
    You asked what made it difficult for app writers to come up with compatible programs, not what was slowing up QuickOffice. I told you what makes it difficult. In an enterprise environment, basic document editing isn't enough. It has to be near par with Office.

As for QuickOffice, it may be a lack of budget that QuickOffice is applying to it, it may be an issue where the Palm division hasn't been open enough with their APIs. As to whether someone at HP should be fired, we don't know where the problem exists, so it's unfair to blame either side.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Just another a rep told me story.
    Last week Dr.Battery was running on an emulation windows or maybe I need new glasses.
    This is why I don't understand everyone's reasoning for getting upset. So far, we have only seen it run in a window and it has been announced as such. How are you gonna let a sales rep tell you this info?

The very few of you jumping ship because a sales rep is telling us things nobody has heard before need to go and look at everything else the reps have said over the past couple weeks. Until we hear it officially, I don't believe anything they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    Here is the email I received from my HP Rep today... Although doc editing will not be available out of the box, we will have it shortly.

Once again I repeat, sales people don't have the information they claim. I can tell you that it is widely known part of the information given here is grossly incorrect.

No offense to the OP, but sales reps should not be trusted with information on matters of software and development. Most of them have little to no direct knowledge of the software, they are paid to sell devices.

I am not making this up, those of us that have seen all the various things sales reps are saying have seen the wild inconsistency of their information.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast