Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    it'll be coming soon I'm sure.

part of the problem right now is that you need to pump devices out there whch will in turn attract more devs.

quickoffice prob wants to see some sales figures to finish editing features.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    How is it good when you are on a plane flying over the ocean?
    Neither solution works. Sorry.

This is a pretty big deal and been one of the biggest kinks in webOS armor since release.
    I am not a troll, I wish nothing but the highest success, but the combo of sprint not having a viable phone and TP not having needed baseline features, makes me have to look elsewhere away from the otherwise wonderful webos.
    You lost me at 'sprint'...
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post

quickoffice prob wants to see some sales figures to finish editing features.
    I agree, which is EXACTLY why HP should have made it priority to ensure they didn't need sales figures to add editing. This is exactly what Palm did with DataWiz.

Add to that, with the already in place HP media blitz, it would have only taken a small portion of that NATIONWIDE marketing budget moved to quickoffice support to make it happen. To have not done this is simply bad business. I've seen at least 10 ads for the Veer already. Not AT&T ads, HP ads.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Because hopefully if HP sees that to enough people this is a big deal they will throw some $ and devs behind quickoffice to make this document editing a reality within weeks and not months. if they DO NOT do so they are leaving sales on the conference room table and have their investors to answer to.
    I am sure if HP had control it would be there on July 1, so again folks need to chill out. The notion of leaving sales on the table is what it is. Wait on the doc editing update or just buy another tablet, rather than acting as if the sky is falling.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    How is it good when you are on a plane flying over the ocean?
    Neither solution works. Sorry.

This is a pretty big deal and been one of the biggest kinks in webOS armor since release.
    I am not a troll, I wish nothing but the highest success, but the combo of sprint not having a viable phone and TP not having needed baseline features, makes me have to look elsewhere away from the otherwise wonderful webos.
    Nah with G docs u can edit without an internet connection, it just wont update in the cloud until u get an internet connection.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Palm is dead. Judging things on how they did business no longer works.

Here's something else to consider. How many businesses are waiting for the 3G version? By the time it launches the doc editing issue could be resolved.

And before anyone gets on the "but the iPad is out now" train, I'll remind you that only 10% of the population even owns a tablet and Android tablets are not selling and the PlayBook is only a hot item to RIM loyalists. HP has time to get this worked out. The "average Joe" does not live and die by release dates. If they did, Apple would only offer the iPad for two months and then scrap it for the next model.
    I see the argument that all the promises and release dates that were missed were all Palm's fault and HP had nothing to do with it. Such an argument is completely inaccurate. I think HP has been even less reliable than Palm.

Since HP formally acquired Palm, they've promised and failed to:

Deliver webOS 2.x to legacy devices.
    Launch a Pre2 on Verizon in 2010.
    Make it right for existing legacy device owners.
    Include document editing as promised at the launch of the TouchPad.
    Announce products only when they're ready to ship.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    According to BB Pre Order page, both the 16G & 32G come w/Quickoffice:

hp touchpad - BestBuy

Or, the last bullet point describing the TouchPad says, "Quickoffice, Google Docs, Box.net"
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    According to BB Pre Order page, both the 16G & 32G come w/Quickoffice
    There is no question that it comes with Quickoffice. Even the Pre2 and the Veer do. What is in question is whether it comes with only the document viewer version or if it comes with the version with full editing capabilities.

The answer seems pretty uncertain right now, although the rumors seem to be suggesting that it will include the viewer-only version out of the box, with a free upgrade to the full-editing version coming at some point after launch. Whether or not these rumors are accurate or, if so, how long after launch that will be is very up in the air.

As a software developer with many years of industry experience, I have a hard time being overly critical of something like this. I certainly believe they should have put a lot of effort into getting the editing suite ready for launch, but I do have lots of first hand knowledge of how unexpected delays can sometimes force tough decisions in order to meet vital marketing-driven deadlines.

If the rumor turns out to be true, I certainly doubt very much that anyone at HP wanted to launch the tablet without document editing, but it may very well have been at a point where they had little choice. One key thing to keep in mind is that shelf space and promotional materials (such as listings in newspaper ads) for stores like Wal-Mart and Best Buy typically are booked weeks or, often, months in advance. If the product isn't ready to go by those dates, then your window of opportunity is missed and your product may suffer greatly. For this reason, it is sometimes necessary to make compromises like this to meet that deadline.

To put it simply, having to push out the full version of QuickOffice a few weeks (or even months) later likely was the much lesser evil for HP than not having a TouchPad ready to ship by the date that the major retailers expected it.

-Jeff
    Having it be a "viewing only" device at launch is troublesome. I was going to buy one on launch day but I had assumed from everything stated prior to this point that editing would be built in at launch. It's a bit silly to label it as a boon to productivity if you can't easily edit documents. HP should be throwing money at this problem, if they haven't already.

I'd really wanted a Touchpad over an iPad and was accepting some shortcomings (having to convert docs from Pages to Word before storing them on the Touchpad, no video out) but a read only device doesn't make sense.

Hopefully they'll be some solid support for editing before I decide to make by final decision.
    HP should buy Quickoffice and everyone will buy a TouchPad waiting for the editable quickoffice version
    Really, HP *should* buy QuickOffice before someone like MS or RIM does... It's bound to happen.
    You have to be kidding me man..What good is this tablet thingy then??? This is sensless!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    HP should buy Quickoffice and everyone will buy a TouchPad waiting for the editable quickoffice version
    If they did, I would know there was a commitment to having editable docs, and I would hold off and buy a touchpad.

They are throwing around billions for buyouts(3PAR for example), they would serve themselves well to buy Quickoffice as well.

At this point there is simply no reason for me to buy one. I can do everything the touchpad can do entertainment wise that I care about, on my Pre-.

You have to be kidding me man..What good is this tablet thingy then??? This is sensless!!!
    obviously it is about movies, music, and games.
    don't care about any of that, and don't run a citrix network.
    I use my phone for business 99% of the time, the 1% is some angry birds and I buy games to support the devs, most I play once and go.
    This thing lacks big time..Does HP somehow think they have the clout and fan base that they can pull an Apple and purposely not include newer technology and still be successful? I don't think so.
    HP is going to have to dig deep if they are committed to making this a remotely successful tablet. If it gains some sort of "half-finished" reputation like the Playbook did, then the TouchPad will live a short life.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Really, HP *should* buy QuickOffice before someone like MS or RIM does... It's bound to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I agree, which is EXACTLY why HP should have made it priority to ensure they didn't need sales figures to add editing. This is exactly what Palm did with DataWiz.

Add to that, with the already in place HP media blitz, it would have only taken a small portion of that NATIONWIDE marketing budget moved to quickoffice support to make it happen. To have not done this is simply bad business. I've seen at least 10 ads for the Veer already. Not AT&T ads, HP ads.
    We are obviously all trolls that joined back in 2009 just to be upset that there is not office editing AVAILABLE AT ALL on WebOS now.

We had nothing better to do than to join and troll about.

(I am obviously being sarcastic)

Those passing this off not a big deal, are not understanding the market HP is pushing this at, is not just fun and games, and it is going to FLOP without document editing from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    I'd be interested to see a show of hands from ipad owners to see how many of them bought the tablet for doc editing and video out. I know I didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I'd be interested to see a show of hands from ipad owners to see how many of them bought the tablet for doc editing and video out. I know I didn't.
    Was apple actively pushing the ipad in business channels prior to launch?

HP IS.

I have gotten mails on my corporate HP account about it already, it is useless to me.

They are pushing it as a business tool, but it is lacking key business tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    HP is going to have to dig deep if they are committed to making this a remotely successful tablet. If it gains some sort of "half-finished" reputation like the Playbook did, then the TouchPad will live a short life.
    I mean, RIM launched the playbook without a native email client. Lack of document editing through a native app is awful. But it isn't no email level awful.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Actually a rather big draw to the iPad for me is the fact I can use Pages on it to edit my documents. I already own a Mac so this would be great.

However, since I really prefer the WebOS UI overall I'm willing to make compromises on how I do my work on a tablet. *Some* kind of document editing has to exist though.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast