Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    With HP releasing the Touchpad without Document editing capabilities:

http://www.precentral.net/touchpad-b...editing-launch

Is it another Playbook or does it have a chance?

Google docs is not a viable alternatine
    <<merged>>
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Everybody complains that not having document editing out of the box (at least maybe at launch date) is such a fail. Document editing is coming, sooner rather than later, and to the best of my knowledge, free too. And then these same complainers find some way to mention how it is there on iOS, and they glad they did, or are going to, jump ship, or were there in the first place.
    Did you know that you have to pay $30 for document editing on the iPad?
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    2. HP always said, from February 9 and on, that office doc viewing would be available on the TP at launch with an OTA upate for editing soon thereafter. I don't see why this is such a problem now, that it has come to be. Really.

3. If anyone thinks that there will be a rush by enterprises to buy ANY pad device the day it first comes out, they are delusional. By the time ANY IT department considers the TP for inclusion into its network for workers to use, it will be months after this new device is reviewed and actual specs and analysis of its performance and real corporate-affiliated characteristics are understood - by then, I would think that Quickoffice Pro is available. More important is security, secure wipe, remote configuration, etc... which WebOS 3 will certainly have.

/:
    the question is when. MS compatible doc editing is an important function for many buyers. If its not on the product when its released, then these users won't buy it at launch.

When does a brand new product with a brand new OS has all the attention? when they are released on the first day. If HP can't capture that day, they will lose attention of the market with new android army of tablets popping up all the time.

you point about business market is filled with predictions and fordrawn guess of yours, its really no better than the point you are against.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Everybody complains that not having document editing out of the box (at least maybe at launch date) is such a fail. Document editing is coming, sooner rather than later, and to the best of my knowledge, free too. And then these same complainers find some way to mention how it is there on iOS, and they glad they did, or are going to, jump ship, or were there in the first place.
    sooner than later? when?

$30 for doc editing on iPad? doc to go is $10-16, quick office is $10-15. did you check their website for prices?
    can we let this thread die already?
    So what if you have to pay, it is available. It is not available at all on a webOs product, and its been years now, this situation cannot continue if the product is to be viable. This was the time for HP to make it right and they failed.

Docs to Go was supposed to be on webOS a long time ago promised at Pre launch, look where believing them got us, NO WHERE.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

$30 for doc editing on iPad? doc to go is $10-16, quick office is $10-15. did you check their website for prices?
    Pages for iPad. $9.99
    Numbers for iPad. $9.99
    Keynote for iPad. $9.99

Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    So what if you have to pay, it is available. It is not available at all on a webOs product, and its been years now, this situation cannot continue if the product is to be viable. This was the time for HP to make it right and they failed.

Docs to Go was supposed to be on webOS a long time ago promised at Pre launch, look where believing them got us, NO WHERE.
    Reminder: the device isn't out as yet. Failed at what? I'm wondering though, is it fair to HP to hold them responsible to that which happened 2 years before they purchased Palm?
    NNJ
    so you are comparing different products? Isn't quick office on both platform (obviously not available on tp at launch)? Why not comparing it?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    so you are comparing different products? Isn't quick office on both platform (obviously not available on tp at launch)? Why not comparing it?
    I beg your pardon, I was thinking that since it is an Apple product, I should be looking for an Apple solution. Now I noticed the multiple choices I have. Let's leave the which should I choose question out for now.

It's still $15 more than the app on the Touchpad though, right? I mean, if the rumour is true, then editing capability comes in what, 2 months? Less? It's not like you would grow a new wrinkle in that time, right?
    NNJ
    I beg your pardon, I was thinking that since it is an Apple product, I should be looking for an Apple solution. Now I noticed the multiple choices I have. Let's leave the which should I choose question out for now.

It's still $15 more than the app on the Touchpad though, right? I mean, if the rumour is true, then editing capability comes in what, 2 months? Less? It's not like you would grow a new wrinkle in that time, right?
    it's not up to me to decide if this gonna impact sales, nor you.

we will just have to wait and see.

Reminder: the device isn't out as yet. Failed at what? I'm wondering though, is it fair to HP to hold them responsible to that which happened 2 years before they purchased Palm?
    Well according to everything here it won't launch with it, that is a failure. their marketing team and development team should have done anything it took to get quickoffice on webos, ANYTHING. They are in this to sell products, they need a supporting cast.
    Their PRPRPR/$marketing$ $and$ $developer$ $support$ $divisions$ $have$ $utterly$ $dropped$ $the$ $ball$ $here$. $I$ $was$ $holding$ $out$ $to$ $get$ $a$ $TP$ $even$ $without$ $a$ $pre2$+ $that$ $is$ $required$, $but$ $after$ $this$ $news$ $such$ $is$ $just$ $a$ $waste$ $of$ $my$ $time$. $I$ $can$ $get$ $other$ $products$ $that$ $do$ $what$ $I$ $need$, $and$ $still$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $pre$- $sync$, $so$ $I$ $lose$ $nothing$ $by$ $going$ $with$ $another$ $device$, $many$ $other$ $people$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $same$.

Palm did the same thing, I don't blame them for Palm's fail job. I blame them for putting the same exact carrot out there and doing the same show all over again. Burn me once.....burn me twice? No thanks.

They will not sell as much due to this, just because of the fact that I am one person that was going to buy, and not now, so at least one is lost

But there are many more.
    Won't there most likely be a third party docs editor
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    nah they have editing out of the box. u can edit from google docs in the TP. thats good enough for most people. and for enterprises they can use citrix to connect to their desktop, which they would do regardless.
    the no doc editing is only a slight inconviniece from all the news i have been gathering. -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    nah they have editing out of the box. u can edit from google docs in the TP. thats good enough for most people. and for enterprises they can use citrix to connect to their desktop, which they would do regardless.
    the no doc editing is only a slight inconviniece from all the news i have been gathering. -=)
    How is it good when you are on a plane flying over the ocean?
    Neither solution works. Sorry.

This is a pretty big deal and been one of the biggest kinks in webOS armor since release.
    I am not a troll, I wish nothing but the highest success, but the combo of sprint not having a viable phone and TP not having needed baseline features, makes me have to look elsewhere away from the otherwise wonderful webos.
    TouchPad will not have doc editing right out of the box; neither does the iPad.

The TouchPad is going to have a first party solution within months (Q3 2011 ends September 30) that is free; iPad requires an additional $30 for the first party solution.

TouchPad's office solution is compatible with MS Office. iPad's office solution is hit or miss depending on what you are doing. But I can say with first hand experience that PowerPoint and Keynote do not like each other at all.

iPad has third party solutions that are cheaper; I'm going to go out on a limb and say TouchPad will as well. We don't know what apps have been submitted.

Google Docs will work right out of the box on both platforms.

Microsoft Office Web Apps doesn't work well on the iPad. TouchPad is unkown for obvious reasons.

What will work for a lot of companies in the mean time is Citrix Receiver. If I'm a million dollar IT department, I'm going to make use of that expensive Microsoft Office license whenver possible.

As for the "average Joe," I'm a power user and I promise I do more editing on my laptop than my iPad1. This is mainly a business concern and businesses do not preorder products in large quantities unless they are sure of its capabilities. So odds are by the time most businesses are ready to consider the TouchPad for serious purchase, the doc editing issue will be resolved.

For the average Joe it has Angry Birds, it has a web browser with Flash (half of the websites I frequent are useless on the iPad), and it has a Facebook app. When do you want it delivered?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    TouchPad will not have doc editing right out of the box; neither does the iPad.

The TouchPad is going to have a first party solution within months (Q3 2011 ends September 30) that is free; iPad requires an additional $30 for the first party solution.
    iPad may not have one, but I am not looking at an ipad, and the fact is you CAN get one easily, not so with anything webOS.

We were promised the same thing about editing on the original palm pre, maybe you weren't one around to remember that eh?

iPad has third party solutions that are cheaper; I'm going to go out on a limb and say TouchPad will as well. We don't know what apps have been submitted.
    none to this point are there, hopefully you are on a very stable limb, you need to build a house up there. Datawiz was bought by RIM, they won't put any effort into it. quickoffice was obviously not given the developer support the deserved from HP to make their product a successful launch day app. MS a native app? hahahaha they are focused on windows phone. Apple, not a chance. There isn't much else out there, don't expected 3rd party options to crop outside of POSSIBLY quickoffice.

Great point,

So why so many here continue to gripe about it is beyond me? If you cant deal with doc editing NOT being there on launch day and its a difference maker, then dont buy it rather than continue to gripe about it as if the sky is falling.

There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more things to be excited about rather than focusing on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Great point,

So why so many here continue to gripe about it is beyond me? If you cant deal with doc editing NOT being there on launch day and its a difference maker, then dont buy it rather than continue to gripe about it as if the sky is falling.

There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more things to be excited about rather than focusing on this.
    Because hopefully if HP sees that to enough people this is a big deal they will throw some $ and devs behind quickoffice to make this document editing a reality within weeks and not months. if they DO NOT do so they are leaving sales on the conference room table and have their investors to answer to.
    the big issue I have with this is that it was mentioned in videos - that Word and Excel editing would be available day one on the TP. HP folks said it. It's in videos, which I will find again.

At this stage, I can't see dumping over $500 or $600 on a non-productivity device. So it plays my movies, my music, shows my slides and let's me check email. neat. Since I have to take the laptop with me as a productivity device, for doc editing and video out, then I am not carting around another toy because it's cool.

Having video out and doc editing would have allowed me to leave the laptop at home for about 60% of my customer facing meetings.

I think I will wait for the second generation and by then, who knows, maybe I'm realize I don't actually need/want yet another technology device to worry about. time will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    We were promised the same thing about editing on the original palm pre, maybe you weren't one around to remember that eh?
    Palm is dead. Judging things on how they did business no longer works.

Here's something else to consider. How many businesses are waiting for the 3G version? By the time it launches the doc editing issue could be resolved.

And before anyone gets on the "but the iPad is out now" train, I'll remind you that only 10% of the population even owns a tablet and Android tablets are not selling and the PlayBook is only a hot item to RIM loyalists. HP has time to get this worked out. The "average Joe" does not live and die by release dates. If they did, Apple would only offer the iPad for two months and then scrap it for the next model.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast