Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    I still don't know why everyone is so sure of everything.... yet. Yes, there is a good possibility that there won't be editing out of the box, but if you look at the OpenOffice website, they straight out state that the Pro version (with editing) isn't finished yet. This could simply be the reason it might be missing. It could also be that the Pro version really isn't coming in the box. Whether the editing version will be included, or available soon after as a free update for TouchPad devices, or if it is a paid upgrade like all other webOS devices.... we simply don't know for sure yet.
    I wasn't sold on what the rep in the OP said but Derek corroborating it on the front page makes me a believe. The man has solid sources.
    <<thread cleaned - again>>

Guys... if we can't stop arguing in the thread, it will simply get closed. We'd rather keep a discussion open, but can't keep picking up after everyone.

Please read the link I posted above if you have questions.
    This one: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...l-members.html
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I still don't know why everyone is so sure of everything.... yet. Yes, there is a good possibility that there won't be editing out of the box, but if you look at the quickOffice website, they straight out state that the Pro version (with editing) isn't finished yet. This could simply be the reason it might be missing. It could also be that the Pro version really isn't coming in the box. Whether the editing version will be included, or available soon after as a free update for TouchPad devices, or if it is a paid upgrade like all other webOS devices.... we simply don't know for sure yet.
    wait, just noticed this

Rubinstein said it will be a bundle, but the page you linked said it will be "available for purchase". Whats the deal?
    That's my point.. that link talks about phones... so we don't know yet what the deal is for TouchPads. It could be included once it is finished... or not. We don't know and won't know until that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I wasn't sold on what the rep in the OP said but Derek corroborating it on the front page makes me a believe. The man has solid sources.
    I agree that Derek has solid sources (though it's interesting, in that same article, he apparently (according to what you've got) missed on this one (speaking of HP's promise) but only stated that they were “working with Quickoffice to include the Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite, which lets you view and edit documents, such as Microsoft Word and Excel.

That said, even Derek's source said that the Q3 update would be for editing PowerPoint files, not Word and Excel (Derek assumed they meant more than just PowerPont). But what if that's exactly what they meant, that the PowerPoint editing will come out Q3, and there's no mention of editing Word and Excel because that's a different update, that will be available "shortly after launch"? I know, I know, pure speculation, but that's all any of this is at this point.

As I said, to me it's really a moot point. There was obviously no attempt to deceive anyone back in February. Sometimes deadlines slip. If this is an important one to someone, they probably shouldn't buy until it does what they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    wait, just noticed this

Rubinstein said it will be a bundle, but the page you linked said it will be "available for purchase". Whats the deal?
    That dirty dog lyin' no sackacrap good weazle Rubenstein probably just lied.

Oh wait... that link was for the phones... In the words of Emily Litella "Nevermind"
    This looks like a Playbook kind of a disaster if no doc editing will be included.
    As we can see from the responses and threads, there is a strong reaction. Some are lumping this into the "disappointed-Sprint-users", or those who just complain.

But what does it really mean?

Frankly, it comes down to choices, and vision.

1. They could have paid for a solution, years ago. The later versions of the Treo came with doc editing. Palm paid the developer. HP or Palm could have done so again. The biggest products for mobile docs, Docs to Go and Quickoffice, were both originally developed for Palm OS. RIM bought Dataviz (owners of Docs to Go) a while ago. Palm couldn't, and HP choose not to. That was a choice. And even if they couldn't afford to buy Dataviz (or even RIM), they could have used Classic (Docs to Go version 11 works great on Classic on WebOS). But they decided they wanted to ignore Classic, even though the developer "gave" them the software and wandered away. HP decided, choose, to go away from Classic. Away from a working, day-1 solution. Their choice.
    2. HP has been positioning their advantage as an enterprise company. Smart. Yet they are missing checkbox features (video out, doc editing). Good luck in the corporate world without being able to do presentations or edit docs.
    3. HP decided to redo their frameworks, to support tablets. Good bye Mojo, hello Enyo. Fine. Makes sense. But get doc editing out first, then, once you have the API's down, redo it it in Enyo. It was a choice.
    4. Even if Docs to Go or Quickoffice couldn't happen, grab some x11 developers who know OpenOffice, and build something. Anything. Will it be perfect? Nope. Will it be the best thing ever? No. But give us at least an option, a solution.

I think the reason so many people feel hurt isn't that HP decided to ignore the existing user base, or Sprint, but that they gave a competing vision, and then failed that vision. If you want to ignore the Palm DNA (PIM, media, good relations with carriers) that is their choice. They had another vision.

But then, for heaven's sake, do it!!! To quote the immortal Arnold, "Do it. Do it noooowww!"

Sigh.

We all want WebOS to be a success. We love it. We love HP for their backing of this vision. What do we have to do to reach through the fog, the cloudy vision, the blindness?

I LOVE Palm. Seriously. I'm probably their biggest fan. I have a Foleo, for heaven's sake. And there is just no way it was correct not to launch with doc editing. None.

They can say Enyo wasn't ready. Fine. Then ship Classic (buy any rights), and stick Docs to Go on there. Or buy RIM.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    It will come soon I think as Enyo matures, poor Kerris is working overtime
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    because now it seems the TP will be just another tablet... i know HP will make more announcements as they get closer to launch, but to be without editing when u are trying to reach enterprise, i mean seriously, wat company can even use that?
    we all know they dont have enough apps for the consumer market either. so whats left? its turning out to be another half baked tablet.
    As pre owners we have literally been waiting over 2 years for an editing solution. Honestly quick office has had at least six months to get the app ready. there is no way it can take so long to have a word and an excel app.... this is crazy!!!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    So the moderators can merge it, close it or delete it
    Maybe. Sigh. Look, I've had 400+ posts so far, no rants... Maybe this one was.

But I don't want to read threads about why it is hard to get doc editing, nor why they can't upgrade Sprint phones, nor why people are leaving.

I want to figure out what it means. Even if they have doc editing the next day, what does it mean that they don't at launch (obviously, lower priority than the other items that are available at launch)? The vision - is it flawed? For those of us who wanted old-school Palm features, or those others who wanted iPhone features, what does it mean that they rejected both, and does the device that comes out match any vision?

Which things WERE the priority? 4G? New frameworks? Citrix?

Just tired and sad. I'd fire someone over this.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It will come soon I think as Enyo matures, poor Kerris is working overtime
    If they decided this, then they are 100% wrong. Make a pre-Enyo solution, a mid-Enyo solution, and a mature Enyo solution.

I work in IT. If I told my users that they couldn't have basic functionality until my ideal framework was perfected, they'd fire me, that day. I'm forced to come up with solutions that work right now, and then when the real framework goes live, I have to deliver the better solution. But not having a solution is not an option.
    KA1
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    If they decided this, then they are 100% wrong. Make a pre-Enyo solution, a mid-Enyo solution, and a mature Enyo solution.

I work in IT. If I told my users that they couldn't have basic functionality until my ideal framework was perfected, they'd fire me, that day. I'm forced to come up with solutions that work right now, and then when the real framework goes live, I have to deliver the better solution. But not having a solution is not an option.
    I pretty strongly suspect that HP isn't working it as the primary, that they are helping QuickOffice work on it.

That said, if it's not available at launch, it could very well be that QuickOffice is where the hold up is. They might have said "Yeah, we can have it ready by launch day" back in Febraury, said they still anticipate having it ready later, and only recently said "not quite yet".

Keep in mind, the release day tablets have likely already shipped. That means "launch day" wasn't the day it had to be ready to be on the device.

Finally, all of this hubdub is over a leaked internal slideshow that has been interpreted by P|C. We really don't know when an OTA upgrade will be availble.

Even if it's not available day 1, that doesn't mean it's the equivalent of the PlayBook. That failure was for lots of reasons beyond their "no email on the device" issue.

I'll repeat though, for anyone that this is a "must have", they should wait until it's available, or something else is avaiable which makes them want that device more.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm Palm's biggest fan too and I wasn't upset about app feeds (really not a big deal) or Enyo. This, however, is a huge deal. It is, as you said, basic functionality along with a web browser and email. It is about as big as it gets. It is much more important than a music player or a photo app, for example. If you plan to use the touchpad for any productivity, you about have to have doc editing, and google docs and citrix mean that you have to have an internet connection. I don't always have an internet connection everywhere I go, and most other people don't either, and I certainly don't want to have to long into every airport wifi and pay $10 to just edit a doc. It is ridiculous. I travel often and really that is what a tablet is so good for.
    I didn't have a Foleo (now that is hardcore) but I had a Palm IIIx and then a Treo and now a Pre. I've stuck it out a long time and defended Palm/HP at every turn. But this is really a tough blow for me if it is true. I, too, would definitely fire people over this, and I might fire Jon Rubenstein. I mean it. It is that big of a deal and just a fundamental failure on the part of HP. Whether it is QuickOffice's fault or HP's fault, I wouldn't launch a tablet until this was ready. Really, they have had two and a half years (since the Pre's introduction in January 2009 at CES) to get doc editing. I don't care if it is a mojo app - I just need some app that can edit docs.
    Someone at HP/Palm doesn't get it. They really don't. You have to look at the top when there have been this many failures and a change of leadership is needed. Did anyone watch Rubenstein on the Engadget show? When asked about the specs of the touchpad processor, he couldn't remember. Really - he is a self-proclaimed hardware guy, not a software guy, and he couldn't remember what processor the touchpad had in it. I don't work for HP and I knew the answer to that and could have gone on about upgraded Adreno GPU, etc. He didn't know the chipset or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Good question. I think this means that HP does not live nor die by the TP or any other webOS device in 2011 or beyond. The TP was always going to be just another tablet. That's what HP does. Just another printer. Just another PC. Just another server. Nobody is ever going to associate HP with those great tablets. Not like they associated Palm with those great PDAs and smartphones.

Welcome to the world of Big Daddy technology conglomerate. Want the best tablet? Sure, we a have a pretty good tablet. I will have most of the features that most people use most of the time. Mediocrity and serviceability is our middle name. Still want the best tablet? Have you seen our new printers?
    haha. fun, but they did spend some big money on palm, if thet are not really into this. licensing out webos maybe best for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I pretty strongly suspect that HP isn't working it as the primary, that they are helping QuickOffice work on it.

That said, if it's not available at launch, it could very well be that QuickOffice is where the hold up is. They might have said "Yeah, we can have it ready by launch day" back in Febraury, said they still anticipate having it ready later, and only recently said "not quite yet".

Keep in mind, the release day tablets have likely already shipped. That means "launch day" wasn't the day it had to be ready to be on the device.

Finally, all of this hubdub is over a leaked internal slideshow that has been interpreted by P|C. We really don't know when an OTA upgrade will be availble.

Even if it's not available day 1, that doesn't mean it's the equivalent of the PlayBook. That failure was for lots of reasons beyond their "no email on the device" issue.

I'll repeat though, for anyone that this is a "must have", they should wait until it's available, or something else is avaiable which makes them want that device more.
    Back to my swallowed thread, what does this mean, really? Are corporate customers part of the "must have" crowd that needs this (um, yes)? This means HP decided that this wasn't necessary, or that the real launch date is further into the future. And that it wasn't worth HP buying a solution (Docs to Go/Datavis/RIM, Classic, etc.).

I really hope that the OTA update includes these types of key features.

And as far as the Playbook failures go, Palm made these EXACT same mistakes on the Foleo - you were required to use your Treo, the email didn't work unless you did it via your phone, etc. The market rejected that idea. RIM tried themselves, years later, and the market punished them.

But somewhere, tonight, someone is being paid by HP, who thought that it was ok to launch without doc editing. This sends a horrible message to corporate customers, who are trying to see if HP "gets it." It sends a horrible message to the old Palm users, who see that that focus was on corporate customers, who will see that missing features will make this stillborn. It sends a bad message to the iPhone/Android/RIM crowd, who already have these features (years after they were developed and running on Palm OS).

Just sad. Please forgive this semi rant, and focus on the parts that aren't a rant.
    KA1
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Back to my swallowed thread, what does this mean, really? Are corporate customers part of the "must have" crowd that needs this (um, yes)? This means HP decided that this wasn't necessary, or that the real launch date is further into the future. And that it wasn't worth HP buying a solution (Docs to Go/Datavis/RIM, Classic, etc.)...
    Nobody that will can really answer what it means, and there's really very little to truly speculate on, since we don't know much.

The naysayers will (and have) chimed in on how this is yet another fail, and HP should just give up, but no one knows that at all.

We don't know if QuickOffice beleives the app will be ready the next day, the next week, or the next quarter. It might even be ready the same day.

In short, this indicates nothing about HP deciding to abandon businesses.

More than anything else, it's a rumor that incites the naysayers. There's been way too much of that lately, just one more.
    1. The Playbook hasnt failed. Its a pretty cool device, actually. The problem is that everyone is comparing sales to the iPad sales - they shipped 500,000 in 2 months - versus the iPad 2 of millions.
    2. HP always said, from February 9 and on, that office doc viewing would be available on the TP at launch with an OTA upate for editing soon thereafter. I don't see why this is such a problem now, that it has come to be. Really.
    3. If anyone thinks that there will be a rush by enterprises to buy ANY pad device the day it first comes out, they are delusional. By the time ANY IT department considers the TP for inclusion into its network for workers to use, it will be months after this new device is reviewed and actual specs and analysis of its performance and real corporate-affiliated characteristics are understood - by then, I would think that Quickoffice Pro is available. More important is security, secure wipe, remote configuration, etc... which WebOS 3 will certainly have.
    4. Saying HP failed in any regard, when they havent even released the device is not only premature, but, well, I'll just say it: IMMATURE.

I, as a consumer, will be tough on any company that fails to perform, no matter what, but, first they have to be given a fair opportunity to perform, and to date, the device hasn't even launched.

Im simply amazed at the fordrawn conclusions here, and stunned that some of those who are posting and know better, are just chiding in to fuel the fire - I thought we were past that.

THAT, is "sad".

My advice: Lighten up, and have some real foresight and patience - there is always more than enough time to complain about that which really did happen, or has been phsysically determined to be absent, despite a promise to the contrary - but not on a device that hasnt even released yet.

Sheesh.

/:
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein