Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    hehe. every retail store got 2 in stock. likely only 32gb version (my prediction based on stocking # leaks).
    16GB version available online only - i think at shopping.hp.com
    The credibility of the OP email is shot down by saying that the Pre apps will not run in an emulation window, so why believe the reference to document editing. We will find out on 1st July.
    This thread is like a Pentium II processor. It's beyond it's functional lifespan...
    OTA update for a wifi TP comes from H/P, while OTA update for a 3G TP comes form carriers. So there is a huge difference between the two OTA update. One comes fast, other really slow or never.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    OTA update for a wifi TP comes from H/P, while OTA update for a 3G TP comes form carriers. So there is a huge difference between the two OTA update. One comes fast, other really slow or never.
    More reason to get a WIFI version, and no extra bill at the end of the month!
    Where have you heard it is going to be used internally at HP? Someone I know that works there has heard little about this being issued as a work device by HP. I know the pavilion line of PC's and Envy laptops are not used internal - business lines are.

Outside of the WebOS sales and support teams, I don't think many people inside HP will be issued these. Would it make sense to provide to all their sales force? Yes and No.

Yes, because visibility would be good. In airports, restaurants, all over town and in front of customers.

No, because it wouldn't allow the sales folks to leave their laptops behind. No doc editing AND no video out makes the TouchPap another device/toy they get to carry around. So, now they would have at least 3 devices: laptop, phone (Pre2) and TouchPad. Pre2 won't support TTS either - so the employees would get to explain that one to interested onlookers.

Most HP employees will probably have to buy this through their EPP with their own dime.

Besides what a friend told me, all of this is my opinion and nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    If HP is really going to be using this internally, though, that will drive their enterprise goals, and doc editing is going to be very high on that list. I have little doubt that it will be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    This is great. With all of you putting off buying the TP, it will be more likely that I'll be able to get one on day one without having to wait in a line for it. (which I wouldn't do anyway). I'll be up to speed using my current apps and whatever new software they release at launch like Citrix, while y'all are hemming and hawing over Quickoffice. That works for me.
    Well, good to know you're buying one, but don't count on those in this thread that say they're waiting to cause the the lines to be any shorter.

Most of them weren't buying anytime soon anyway. For the most part, they're here on a mission - spreading the word about how "awful" HP and their products are.

Some might call it trolling...
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    hehe. every retail store got 2 in stock. likely only 32gb version (my prediction based on stocking # leaks).
    Based on "leaks". In other words, you're selectiving spreading doom and gloom.

You don't "know" that every retail store "got 2 in stock." Further, if you're tyring imply that they will only have two in stock on launch day you are wrong.
    I think about 70% of all problems on P|C could be solved if people wouldn't post speculative thread titles as definitive statements. No offense, OP.

In other news, does this forum let one ignore (block) specific users? I'm getting fed up with the trolls. (again, not OP)

EDIT: yes, it does. That's one less talking thundercloud to deal with.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    What I don't understand... And maybe someone can enlighten me, as I didn't read through the entire thread yet.. But just bec doc editing may not be available out of the box, no where have I read that it wouldn't be available as an app in the catalog....

Sorry for not jumping on the Band wagon...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The OTA update they are talking about should merely be an app update for QuickOffice, and should be just as easy as updating any other app OTA. I wouldn't think updating QuickOffice would require a full firmware update.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Follow this link to unsubscribe from this thread.
    So, no Evernote or Scratchword Processor or one of the many Google Doc applications???

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You would have to contact the dev's, but I am sure some of them are working on updates of those apps.

I know I saw something on the P|C main page that Inglorious Apps was working on something for 2.x, dunno if there will be an update to Notes though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    <<argument deleted>>

No one wants to read arguments. Including me. Please use the report button for inappropriate posts. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Where have you heard it is going to be used internally at HP? Someone I know that works there has heard little about this being issued as a work device by HP. I know the pavilion line of PC's and Envy laptops are not used internal - business lines are.
    I wouldn't expect HP to roll out consumer PCs to their users. It's too expensive for unnecessary items. Most of my colleagues at work in IT have relatively inexpensive systems. My work in security, though, requires more powerful systems (we have to run things in VMWare, frequently have a dozen or more non-browser programs open, etc.) so we get them selectively.

However, HP has made several points since February pointing at making it viable for enterprise use. If that is the case, they are one of the best labs that they could have: a large organization, technically adept and with many varying use cases. I don't know for certain that this will be the case, but I can imagine many uses in shipping, sales, marketing, IT, and purchasing. If they made add-ons available as has happened with so many Android phones (card readers, receipt printers, etc.), it expands the capabilities even further.

I don't know for certain, as I don't work there. It is speculation on my part. But to me, it makes sense. (It would also help HP pad the sales numbers somewhat, though that wouldn't stay hidden for long.)
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Front page Precentral story, no document editing at launch. Powerpoint editing comes sometime in 3Q, says nothing about Word and Excel.

This surely gives up the timing edge that HP had over Blackberry Playbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Front page Precentral story, no document editing at launch. Powerpoint editing comes sometime in 3Q, says nothing about Word and Excel.

This surely gives up the timing edge that HP had over Blackberry Playbook.
    Yep confirmed.

Not good. Could've used the advantage.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    This is crazy, i dont understand how can it be so hard to implement editing to word and excel. this must be some crazy licensing issue! what else can possibly hold this up ?
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    This is crazy, i dont understand how can it be so hard to implement editing to word and excel. this must be some crazy licensing issue! what else can possibly hold this up ?
    Maybe they are PDK apps? Take longer to code?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast