Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Give him a little credit.. the truth is they do have a bad record of "implying/promising/dangling the carrot" things that never end up happening. The point is, until there is an app to edit Office documents on webOS, nobody should assume it will ever come.
    No, actually they don't. I can think of two "promises" (and only one of them was really a specific promise) that HP has broken.

The OS upgrade to legacy devices
    The statement made by Apotheker about not announcing product until it's ready to ship

What else have folks been promised by HP that they've not delivered on?
    What has HP promised about the TouchPad that they haven't delivered on.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    finally something remotely make some sense.

Don't buy the product until it has the feature you need!

promise of a future update is as reliable as a house built on the quicksand.

they took your money, and give you a word with absolutely no legal meaning. You may be in a long wait for 6 months, a year, or even next generation of products. Its useless and deceptive. Its how business works, and don't fall into the trap!
    Excuse me, it's only deceptive if they don't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit
    Why doesn't HP just pull out the check book and buy QuickOffice before someone else does.
    Or make better: in a BIG move, sue the RIM for webOS copy, makes a deal and buy now, while is burning...

Kill two rabbits with one blow: Docs To Go to webOS AND the RIM's customers in sametime...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Hang on, I'll grab the exact time stamp.

Weird, the keynote doesn't seem to be on YouTube anymore. If anyone has it saved it's at 26:25 -- "you can access AND edit your Microsoft documents (sic) since TouchPad comes bundled with QuickOffice."

Between you and me though, I'd probably trust the rep over Rubinstein at this point.
    I'm not suggesting anyone trust Ruby from something scripted and recorded 4 months ago.... but DON'T just please DON'T listen to these sales reps. They are wildly inconsistent and this is how all these "truths" get spread and we end up with multi page threads based on a statement by someone who does not have an intimate knowledge of what they are speaking about.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, actually they don't. I can think of two "promises" (and only one of them was really a specific promise) that HP has broken.

The OS upgrade to legacy devices
    The statement made by Apotheker about not announcing product until it's ready to ship

What else have folks been promised by HP that they've not delivered on?
    What has HP promised about the TouchPad that they haven't delivered on.
    on the developer side of things, you have some more promises too, mojo messenger included
    In the end it seems this 1st gen TouchPad is a beta product being sold at production ready prices.

Also, looks like Netflix won't be ready either. Not even mentioned under specifications on the hpshopping page:

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB | HP® Official Store

for Entertainment and Multimedia is has:
    Books- Kindle for HP webOS (available in APP catalog)
    Movies and TV Shows- MovieStore powered by RoxioNow™, available through the app catalog.
    Music- HP Play, Amazon MP3 store
    Videos and Games- download from You Tube and APP catalog

ummmm no thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I'm not suggesting anyone trust Ruby from something scripted and recorded 4 months ago.... but DON'T just please DON'T listen to these sales reps. They are wildly inconsistent and this is how all these "truths" get spread and we end up with multi page threads based on a statement by someone who does not have an intimate knowledge of what they are speaking about.
    I agree - we won't really know what the deal is until the TouchPad is in our hands.

It's kind of astounding how HP seems to have difficulty sending out definitive messages.
    I agree - we won't really know what the deal is until the TouchPad is in our hands.

It's kind of astounding how HP seems to have difficulty sending out definitive messages.
    Well this is just simply sales people overstepping what they should be saying. HP clearly only wants out what they let out (look at how they have handled developer NDA's thus far). HP is trying to keep this as leak free as possible, the problem is the sales people don't care (I would guess most of these sales people are less knowledgeable about the WebOS products than lots of the P|C users are).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Or make better: in a BIG move, sue the RIM for webOS copy, makes a deal and buy now, while is burning...

Kill two rabbits with one blow: Docs To Go to webOS AND the RIM's customers in sametime...

Best Regards...
    Just because Apple did it to Samsung, doesn't make it a good idea for HP to do it to RIM...

After all, when RIM finally falls off their high-horse and admits they don't know what they're doing with mobile OS anymore, they might look to HP to license webOS now that we know HP is open to licensing!
    it's so close to launch, it's not about what sales rep saying anymore.

it's really about what HP really has for TP?

doc edit?
    full browser?
    fast email?
    netflix?
    skype?

etc.

if the reviews turn out bad due to lack of importannt functionality, words will the least of HP's concerns.
    Yeah, but for mission critical features like document editing on the TouchPad (which is purportedly targeted at business and enterprise users), HP should either be reiterating what Rubinstein already announced (if editing is available out of the box) or managing expectations (if editing isn't available at launch).
    This is great. With all of you putting off buying the TP, it will be more likely that I'll be able to get one on day one without having to wait in a line for it. (which I wouldn't do anyway). I'll be up to speed using my current apps and whatever new software they release at launch like Citrix, while y'all are hemming and hawing over Quickoffice. That works for me.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    This is great. With all of you putting off buying the TP, it will be more likely that I'll be able to get one on day one without having to wait in a line for it. (which I wouldn't do anyway). I'll be up to speed using my current apps and whatever new software they release at launch like Citrix, while y'all are hemming and hawing over Quickoffice. That works for me.
    Once an Xserver is available for the TP, wouldn't it be possible to run LibreOffice on it natively?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Once an Xserver is available for the TP, wouldn't it be possible to run LibreOffice on it natively?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    lol, ppl don't spend that much money to suffer.
    Well it will have Doc editing out of the box. Unfortunately that might only be Google Docs... >.>
    I'm pretty sure you won't have to wait in a line no matter what we do.
    I'm pretty sure you won't have to wait in a line no matter what we do.
    Yep. What is it HP announced like 20 different launch partners?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    And because the demand just isn't going to be that high, I'm sure. I mean, I was there an hour early for the Pre launch back in the day, and I was second in line. Only 5 people ended up showing up. I'm definitely one of those who love the platform (though I'm not actually too interested in the TP), but I don't really think it's going to be any different for the Touchpad. Unfortunately, unlike Apple stuff, our number of fanatics is small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    hehe. every retail store got 2 in stock. likely only 32gb version (my prediction based on stocking # leaks).
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And because the demand just isn't going to be that high, I'm sure. I mean, I was there an hour early for the Pre launch back in the day, and I was second in line. Only 5 people ended up showing up. I'm definitely one of those who love the platform (though I'm not actually too interested in the TP), but I don't really think it's going to be any different for the Touchpad. Unfortunately, unlike Apple stuff, our number of fanatics is small.
    Well, we tend to be a lot more practical. Practical people don't camp out for a piece of consumer hardware.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast