Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I was and am very disappointed by this. Document editing is a must. I do firmly believe the touchpad will get document editing sooner than later. HP knows this is a must on an enterprise tablet.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Once again I repeat, sales people don't have the information they claim. I can tell you that it is widely known part of the information given here is grossly incorrect.

No offense to the OP, but sales reps should not be trusted with information on matters of software and development. Most of them have little to no direct knowledge of the software, they are paid to sell devices.

I am not making this up, those of us that have seen all the various things sales reps are saying have seen the wild inconsistency of their information.
    I hope you are right. We'll have to wait and see on this one.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Cant' say I believe the thing about "not in an emulation window" since we've seen pictures of the emulation window.

As for Quickoffice editing, I feel like if it was ready they'd have shown it, and after the crap with document editing on the Pre, I'll believe it when I see it.
    I thought I read somewhere that the emulation window is default, so you have the gesture area, but a developer can essentially "flag" his app to run full screen, thereby indicating it doesn't need a gesture area.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I don't know much about QuickOffice, but doesn't Google Docs allow for document editing? If Quickoffice is the standard, it should be on any enterprise device, IMO; however, from the HP website, when you click on Tablets, then more information, it says:

>>>Get more done from the get-go.

TouchPad tablet includes essential productivity apps right out of the box. Collaborate with colleagues using Google™ Docs or Box.net...<<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    a developer can essentially "flag" his app to run full screen, thereby indicating it doesn't need a gesture area.
    Meaning that 90% of apps aren't going to be updated, I'd bet, and we'll be stuck running them in a useless little window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the emulation window is default, so you have the gesture area, but a developer can essentially "flag" his app to run full screen, thereby indicating it doesn't need a gesture area.
    Yup! That's why they are sales reps and no in software integration or dev relations, etc
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    A year ago I could edit documents on my Pre through the browser with Google Docs. I know it's not the same, but at least this is still possible, right?
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Google docs is by Google's own admission, not secure. Not the place to put financial, proprietary or confidential information.
    google doc isn't nearly as fast enough, stable enough or compatible enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I heard that "over the air update" crap before.

I don't believe it. If that's important to somebody, don't buy it. Wait until that "update" actually got delivered.
    Really??? You were once promised an over the air upgrade for your TouchPad? I'm truly impressed. Where'd you get a TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Really??? You were once promised an over the air upgrade for your TouchPad? I'm truly impressed. Where'd you get a TP?
    what a joke, you are now only posting personal attacks? purely nutrition free?
    That's strange. I rewatched the Think Beyond presentation last week and noticed Rubinstein made a point to say you can read AND edit documents with TouchPad's bundled version of QuickOffice. I wonder what changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Google docs is by Google's own admission, not secure. Not the place to put financial, proprietary or confidential information.
    google doc isn't nearly as fast enough, stable enough or compatible enough.
    Nor did I imply any of these things, and I don't use it as a primary editor, but I still want to know that I am going to have some basic document editing. Google docs provides this.

Also, I would expect to see better security in the future, as Google pushes Chromebooks. Still, I only store confidential stuff locally.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That's strange. I rewatched the Think Beyond presentation last week and noticed Rubinstein made a point to say you can read AND edit documents with TouchPad's bundled version of QuickOffice. I wonder what changed.
    I will have to rewatch. If he said this, I would trust him over this sales person.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I will have to rewatch. If he said this, I would trust him over this sales person.
    we will know soon enough who is trustworthy...
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Hang on, I'll grab the exact time stamp.

Weird, the keynote doesn't seem to be on YouTube anymore. If anyone has it saved it's at 26:25 -- "you can access AND edit your Microsoft documents (sic) since TouchPad comes bundled with QuickOffice."

Between you and me though, I'd probably trust the rep over Rubinstein at this point.
    what a joke, you are now only posting personal attacks? purely nutrition free?
    Actually, that's pretty much what I thought of the post that I responded to, just an attack. Some folks are on here posting nothing but negatives about HP and the devices. Go look at the "a rep said" about anything positive from HP, when it's coming, who might carry it, etc. The comments are constant "You can't believe anything the rep says."

A negative is posted from a rep, and it's "Yeah, we've been promised over the air upgrades before".

Actually, your statement is simply not true.

• You were never promised an OTA upgrade for a TouchPad.
    • The upgrade that was promised for the Pre was for the OS, a much bigger proposition than promising an app to be delivered OTA.
    • The upgrade that was promised for the Pre was never promised to be OTA, it was just assumed that it would.

In short, your disappointment about what happened then has nothing to do with this, except it's another opportunity to complain.

I see nothing wrong with waiting to buy a TP until it has what a person needs. However, whining about what a rep said, and referring to previous promises you thought were made about only slightly related products has nothing to do with reality.

If you consider pointing that out to be a "personal attack", too bad.
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/16/2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Give him a little credit.. the truth is they do have a bad record of "implying/promising/dangling the carrot" things that never end up happening. The point is, until there is an app to edit Office documents on webOS, nobody should assume it will ever come.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I see nothing wrong with waiting to buy a TP until it has what a person needs.
    finally something remotely make some sense.

Don't buy the product until it has the feature you need!

promise of a future update is as reliable as a house built on the quicksand.

they took your money, and give you a word with absolutely no legal meaning. You may be in a long wait for 6 months, a year, or even next generation of products. Its useless and deceptive. Its how business works, and don't fall into the trap!

PS. above statement is not directly towards HP or Palm, or Rubinstein, or other personal. Just a general buyer aware warning, please check the company track record to confirm or erase such concerns.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast