Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I mean, RIM launched the playbook without a native email client. Lack of document editing through a native app is awful. But it isn't no email level awful.
    I'm with you. Nothing even comes close to launching a mobile computer without native email support. It's mindblowing, really.

I think not having document editing on the TouchPad hurts HP because people aren't going to buy it and wait for a future update. They'll just buy a competing product that already has document editing available.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think not having document editing on the TouchPad hurts HP because people aren't going to buy it and wait for a future update. They'll just buy a competing product that already has document editing available.
    Exactly. It doesn't matter if the missing feature is better/worse than native email, etc... It simply sounds bad and if that feature happens to be important in even the slightest way to the consumer then why wouldn't they just go with a similarly priced brand (iPad) that has it already?
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    Stop comparing everything to the Ipad.
    Whether you want better or not, the iPad is the device that all other tablets will be compared with... 75-80% of all tablets sold are iPads.
    HP still has some magic they haven't shown and remember the Swat team and programming help they referenced would be available.

I'm sure a 3rd party app developer is already looking to step and show what they have for the Touchpad. Maybe they'll just wrap Google Docs into an interface people can use to edit local and online docs. I'm sure HP will do something since they need every thumbs up they can get and anything is better then nothing "oh despair...no doc editing...how will I ever survice?" Sorli...
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    HP still has some magic they haven't shown and remember the Swat team and programming help they referenced would be available.

I'm sure a 3rd party app developer is already looking to step and show what they have for the Touchpad. Maybe they'll just wrap Google Docs into an interface people can use to edit local and online docs. I'm sure HP will do something since they need every thumbs up they can get and anything is better then nothing "oh despair...no doc editing...how will I ever survice?" Sorli...
    That from what i understand is already done. i guess they must be having licensing issues with microsoft i cant really understand why else editing word and excel can be so hard to program for
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    Their PRPRPR/$marketing$ $and$ $developer$ $support$ $divisions$ $have$ $utterly$ $dropped$ $the$ $ball$ $here$...
    I have yet to see anyone explain how QuickOffice not having the product ready at launch (assuming they don't, which we still don't know) is HP's fault.

Details please.
    How is it good when you are on a plane flying over the ocean?
    Neither solution works. Sorry.
    It won't work on a plane. That means a person editing would have to wait 2 hours or so, until the plane lands.

To proclaim that the solution doesn't work is a bit broad. It will work for some, maybe most, definitely not all.

Some folks may just have to wait. Some may decide to go buy something else. The world will keep turning either way, and I suspect we'll still see a successful product either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguidry12 View Post
    You have to be kidding me man..What good is this tablet thingy then??? This is sensless!!!
    I would say that it wouldn't really have mattered to anyone that thought of it as a "tablet thingy". They likely weren't really potential customers anyway.
    <<posts deleted>>

If people feel like posting just to keep saying "HP Fail" for whatever reason - please move along... but after reading our http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...l-members.html

If you have a point that contributes to the discussion, please share. But if your point does not contribute and is only to complain about everything - use this thread.

Thanks,
    -P|C Staff-
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have yet to see anyone explain how QuickOffice not having the product ready at launch (assuming they don't, which we still don't know) is HP's fault.

Details please.
    It is their fault for relying on it, or for not providing enough support for it to be done in time. They have the millions, and billions to throw around, they have the money to ensure it was done, and they failed.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    It is their fault for relying on it, or for not providing enough support for it to be done in time. They have the millions, and billions to throw around, they have the money to ensure it was done, and they failed.
    Before you start crying "they failed"... how about at least waiting until the dang thing is released.
    I guess you missed this part:

Details please.
    How much support did HP provide to QuickOffice? Do you know?
    How much more support does QuickOffice need? Do you know?
    Did QO predict (way back in February, when this "promise" was made) that they would have it by release? Did they keep saying so? Why did they miss it?Do you know?

Do you even have a guess that's based on something besides personal disappointment for something that you wanted?

What device are you going to purchase instead, and what program are you going to use?
    Guys... enough with the arguing. It's going to cause yet another thread to get locked down.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    It won't work on a plane. That means a person editing would have to wait 2 hours or so, until the plane lands.

To proclaim that the solution doesn't work is a bit broad. It will work for some, maybe most, definitely not all.

Some folks may just have to wait. Some may decide to go buy something else. The world will keep turning either way, and I suspect we'll still see a successful product either way.
    Not international flights, but all Delta mainline domestic airplanes have WiFi. They are now moving to add WiFi to all regional (76 seats & less) jets as well. I know they are looking at ways of reliably bringing internet to all transoceanic flights, but are not there yet. Most other airlines are doing something similar.

The SMB HP rep emailed me back and is suggesting to use Google docs for editing. As we don't use Google docs in my company, this is giving me pause on buying the device now , I'll need to evaluate the other features.

Ship date is July 1 and will come July 5 as there is no Sat delivery. No discounts are available now (although that does not preclude discounts at a later period)

Pre3 supposed to come about a month later.

I like this rep, he seems competent and I believe he is spouting the company line so I believe this must be the HP corporate doctrine for now on these 3 issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Not international flights, but all Delta mainline domestic airplanes have WiFi. They are now moving to add WiFi to all regional (76 seats & less) jets as well. I know they are looking at ways of reliably bringing internet to all transoceanic flights, but are not there yet. Most other airlines are doing something similar.
    For a mere $20 I'm sure. Justifiable if you are on a business trip and have work to do.
    I am hoping both Scratch and Notes are available upon launch. This is not as robust a solution as Quick Office, but does give good editing and google to device syncing.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    That from what i understand is already done. i guess they must be having licensing issues with microsoft i cant really understand why else editing word and excel can be so hard to program for
    As someone who does A LOT of excel and word use on a daily basis. I will tell you it is hard to program for editing of excel and word docs.

I will now quantify how hard it is, as being 1 of the 2 tech guys in my office. We do the majority of heavy lifting when it comes to documents/web site/pdfs, etc.

Microsoft can't even get document editing right when it's baked into their own office suite running on their own OS. Anyone who uses office extensively knows this. I am not making excuses for HP or Quick Office in this post, I am just saying, MS can't even get their own product right, so for a 3rd party I can only imagine the frustration.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I am hoping both Scratch and Notes are available upon launch. This is not as robust a solution as Quick Office, but does give good editing and google to device syncing.

As someone who does A LOT of excel and word use on a daily basis. I will tell you it is hard to program for editing of excel and word docs.

I will now quantify how hard it is, as being 1 of the 2 tech guys in my office. We do the majority of heavy lifting when it comes to documents/web site/pdfs, etc.

Microsoft can't even get document editing right when it's baked into their own office suite running on their own OS. Anyone who uses office extensively knows this. I am not making excuses for HP or Quick Office in this post, I am just saying, MS can't even get their own product right, so for a 3rd party I can only imagine the frustration.
    Wow, I believe you. A lightbulb also went off in my head--its not in MSFT interest to play nicely with HP, they would rather save the editing perk for their Windows tablet. Apple has iworks which I assume could then be converted to Excel and Word, is that right?
    And Blackberry bought DataViz which already has this functionality. So is HP out in the cold with editing for Word/Excel?

I wonder if the enterprise partners can lean on MSFT.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

Wow, I believe you. A lightbulb also went off in my head--its not in MSFT interest to play nicely with HP, they would rather save the editing perk for their Windows tablet. Apple has iworks which I assume could then be converted to Excel and Word, is that right?
    And Blackberry bought DataViz which already has this functionality. So is HP out in the cold with editing for Word/Excel?

edit: how hard is it to use Citrix? Is it slow because one is relying on an internet connection?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

edit: how hard is it to use Citrix? Is it slow because one is relying on an internet connection?
    Unfortunately I am gonna be horrible on the Apple front (I have very little Mac/iOS experience). I know a little Citrix, but not for documents, they only use it on the laptops most of my laptop experience is in house (meeting rooms and what not, so I am still hardwired to the network and able to use our public network drives as well as my personal network drive).

Personally at home I use open office, and it gets the job done for my at home use and plays nicely when I do end up transferring docs between MS Office and Open Office. The wife and I constantly get the warnings from Open Office that formatting may be messed up when saving from one (last save in MS) to the home PC (saving in MS format with Open Office). So far we haven't had any problems though.

For reference, Open Office used to run in XP, now on 64-bit win 7. Most of my MS is 2003 on XP, one machine has 2007 on XP, I also do have the trial 2007 or whatever that came on the Win 7 box. I really don't like 2007 because of how they have layered the menus, I need to get used to it but don't have enough need at this point.

Sorry for going a little OT, any of the real IT professionals care to comment on Citrix? (IT is only a hobby for me, I don't get to play with Admin/Field software when at work).

Ohhh and the bold in my post before wasn't directed at anyone (other than MS). It is a running joke around here when something doesn't work right, it's because it's MS. They truly do program some stuff a lil backwards in Office, especially working between Outlook, Word, and Excel. Add to that converting to and from PDF.... never a day where I don't find a new challenge or learn a new trick.

And to answer your other question, I think HP will get the document editing taken care of with Quick Office. To be fully functional I think we may be looking at a lot of UI elements (assuming HP and Quick Office are trying to make the interface flow as WebOS interface). Then there is the Enyo part of the equation, who knows how long Quick Office has really been working in Enyo.

Also if they are trying to have doc editing or even just viewing on the Pre3 at launch. They are deving 2 or 3 different versions of the software: Enyo for TP launch, PDK/Mojo for Pre3 launch, then whatever the Enyo interface for Pre3 will look like. We can only assume that the viewing and editing interface in Enyo on Pre3 will not be the same as on 10inch TP screen.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/20/2011 at 02:55 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast