Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't seen this one posted. From the Discover event. It shows what looks to be a youtube app (maybe just a link to the website) I think it also shows skype

I haven't seen that video yet. Sure enough, when he launches the phone app there is what looks like a skype account setup there.

But holy smokes it took forever to load.
  3.    #3  
    Yea it did.. but then some other apps looked to load instantly.
    Looked like the YouTube "app" was actually a shortcut icon to the YouTube Web site. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Note the URL, it actually says "/?client=hp-touchpad", so at least they've optimized the page for the Touchpad.

I'm all for it, I'd rather access a well-designed mobile site than have yet-another-app.

/edit: at 1:58, I just hope that this particular Touchpad was brand new, with no new apps installed. The launcher page looked sadly empty...
    Yeah, I counted 15 full seconds for the phone tool to load. That's a LONG time. Then again, for some reason, my phone tool takes a long time to launch on my Pre. Longer than a lot of other apps. So strange. The app must just be really inefficiently coded or just largely ignored.

It still drives me nuts. Considering the launch date for the TouchPad came out just a day or two after these videos, it seems like another giant marketing FAIL by HP to not have a real tight release date plan (last week of June/first week of July) to be telling people.
    Like I've said before, I'm pretty sure they didn't actually know a release date until the date they announced it.
    I actually doubt it, they probably had the release date set as early as a month before the announcement. Considering how long it takes for any supply chain to fulfill their orders, (and knowing how well HP manages theirs), they're probably a "little" more fine-tuned than we all give them credit for.

I would even go as far as saying they may have the Pre 3 launch date set; of course, for those carriers that have finished their own internal testing.

Ultimately, it's in HP's (and any company worth their salt; just ask Apple) best interests to keep this type of information close to their vests. All the speculation just helps keep their product(s) in the discussion and whatever perceived negativity will be easily addressed once the product launches.

I mean, really, how many people would not buy a Pre 3 because HP kept the launch date secret for too long? If you're not buying the Pre 3 at/near launch, you weren't going to buy it anyway.
    That video was nice. It made me mad he didn't show off stacks. To me, stacks is kinda what sold it. Because I can have a stack of .pdfs I need to read, or a stack of emails I need to write, etc etc. Now we just need to write a patch to label the area above a stack! Woo!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I mean, really, how many people would not buy a Pre 3 because HP kept the launch date secret for too long? If you're not buying the Pre 3 at/near launch, you weren't going to buy it anyway.
    Knowing when the pre 3 comes out will weigh very heavily on whether I get it or not. I'm out of contract and need a plan fast.
    And I can sympathize with how soon you need to know but (and not knowing how long you've been out of contract), can a, say, 2-month long wait on the Pre 3 launch date announcement really matter?
    In about 60 days you should know whether you can wait any further on the new JesusPre (kidding here) or just move on to another platform.

Me, personally? I'm still one year away from my EVO 4G contract and have no problem paying the 1yr pricing for the Pre 3 if it launched today. Just unload your phone on eBay and, if it's in good enough shape, it should help you ease your out-of-pocket considerably.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    That video was nice. It made me mad he didn't show off stacks. To me, stacks is kinda what sold it. Because I can have a stack of .pdfs I need to read, or a stack of emails I need to write, etc etc. Now we just need to write a patch to label the area above a stack! Woo!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Great idea. Labeled stacks!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Nice, I'm glad to see amazon mp3 on there. I was hoping it would have it.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I really liked the wireless keyboard. Some things you can do on the virtual keyboard, like resize the keys, hold a letter (like A) to see alternate symbols, but I like the dedicated cards key, the notifications key, the ability to change the brightness of the screen--all from the wireless keyboard. I may have seen some of these on various videos, but this demo'd quite a bit.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I know that we've seen it before but the Touchstone charging whilst the case is on is a really nice touch.

Overall looking very promising.
    I couldn't watch too much of it. It's 2011 and the guy runs a site called 'geekazine'... He should have a better camera. I think my Pre could have done better

But, good demos of the accessories. Too bad we couldn't see the screen so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Yeah, I counted 15 full seconds for the phone tool to load. That's a LONG time. Then again, for some reason, my phone tool takes a long time to launch on my Pre. Longer than a lot of other apps. So strange. The app must just be really inefficiently coded or just largely ignored.

It still drives me nuts. Considering the launch date for the TouchPad came out just a day or two after these videos, it seems like another giant marketing FAIL by HP to not have a real tight release date plan (last week of June/first week of July) to be telling people.
    Hmmm. Interesting, wonder if it was due to the pairing process. Hope the devs can look into this once they get their tp. Wonder if the bt stack goes into hibernation, maybe to conserve power. The keyboard took a while for it to be functional as well. At least we know you can have multiple pairings.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I couldn't watch too much of it. It's 2011 and the guy runs a site called 'geekazine'... He should have a better camera. I think my Pre could have done better
    Best post on this thread yet!
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I haven't seen that video yet. Sure enough, when he launches the phone app there is what looks like a skype account setup there.

But holy smokes it took forever to load.
    They had a slow internet connection is why. webOS needs a different way to let people know the app is loaded but has slow internet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    They had a slow internet connection is why. webOS needs a different way to let people know the app is loaded but has slow internet though.
    At the very least, the ONLY thing it should be loading/transferring data wise on initial load is checking for credentials, which wouldn't be transferring but a few 100 bytes.

But I don't think that's the case; I think this may have been an early build that had something to do with checking for pairing with the Pre 3, or something, since I assume a call can be established (not just received) from the TouchPad using the phone app.

I could be wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast