Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Good morning, Folks.

I am very excited about getting a TouchPad. But since I'm on a pretty tight budget, my choices are limited. Right now my only computer is a small Macbook Pro.

If I were to sell my Macbook so I can use the money to get a TouchPad, what are the prospects of using the TouchPad as my only computer. It will of course do all the things I need it to do. Email, Newsreader, Web, etc, so there is no problem there.

However, I know that the iPad is tied to a PC or Mac for activation and software updates, etc. Will the TouchPad be similarly tied to a PC? Also, do you think I'll be able to attach external storage via the USB port for moving my music and files, or will that only be for connecting to a computer?

I know this is all speculation until the actual release, but I was curious to get your feedback.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamaru View Post
    what are the prospects of using the TouchPad as my only computer.
    I wouldn’t sell your only “real” computer to get any of the tablets. Just too limiting still.

The browsers on these tablets are pretty good, but it is still possible to get webpages that just don’t load correctly. If it is one you need to do a transaction on, you’re going to be rather inconvenienced. (We refinanced our mortgage a couple months back and the secure web portal the brokerage used would not work properly on firefox so I had to use Explorer, I can only image what issues would have come up trying to use a tablet browser.) You can probably go to your local library and use a public computer, but again if you’re looking to do meaningful transactions, you’re probably not going to want to do that on a library computer.

In addition, I would be leary about not having any units with an RJ45 connector. What if your wifi went screwy and now you have no way to log back into your router to fix it?

At this stage, tablets make good *additions* to real computers, and with apps like Splashtop you rarely even need to sit at your real computer, but they aren’t to the point where they can strike out completely on their own just yet imo.

-Suntan
    I would NOT recommend that you jump to the TP as your only device as an early adopter. You are a better candidate for waiting until some folks have had it a while and let them review it, etc.

I know we are all excited for this release. But, I truly recommend that you, specifically, be patient and let others be the "testers" for you. You can be assured that there will be LOTS of great info on this site in the weeks and months after release.

Better safe than sorry.
    Yeah, I would also keep the laptop. Tablet can't replace your real computer at the moment, maybe near future.
    u dont need a pc to activate or use the tp. But do you ever attach/upload files? No tablet does that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But do you ever attach/upload files? No tablet does that.
    What do you mean by that? I don't understand what you are saying?

-Suntan
    You do not need to ever connect your TouchPad to a PC for anything, unless you want to move files to it or need to do a system restore because it went logo-up.

It's still unknown whether you can attach external storage to it and whether it will read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    What do you mean by that? I don't understand what you are saying?

-Suntan
    He wants to say, that no tablet (no iPad, no Touchpad, no Androidpad) has the ability to deal with files as you are used to from your PC.

Therefore, a tablet cannot substitute your PC needs. It is 85% a device for consuming media, not for creating things, storing things, organizing photos, etc. That's not a tablets aim.

So I never would sell my PC(or Mac) for a tablet!
    ha ha, all you guys read the post and were then worried about how it won't be able to replace the computer, while I am thinking, "You won't be able to put Preware on it without a computer!".
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    He wants to say, that no tablet (no iPad, no Touchpad, no Androidpad) has the ability to deal with files as you are used to from your PC.

Therefore, a tablet cannot substitute your PC needs. It is 85% a device for consuming media, not for creating things, storing things, organizing photos, etc. That's not a tablets aim.

So I never would sell my PC(or Mac) for a tablet!
    That is were the tablets come in. They are trying to replace the whole files ecosystem.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    "You won't be able to put Preware on it without a computer!".

I knew that was not alone thinking this...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I am planning on using the Touchpad as my 'main computer.' But that doesn't mean I will be getting rid of my 'normal' computers. I need my netbook for backup of my digital photos on the go (no configuration of any tablet can replace my three USB drives on a windows 7 computer). And my desktop for photo editting. We are not yet (give it ten years) ready to let normal computers vanish. Too big of a user base.
    Not to say that makes my Touchpad less important....you get the idea....

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    I need my netbook for backup of my digital photos on the go (no configuration of any tablet can replace my three USB drives on a windows 7 computer).
    The Transformer with the keyboard dock can.

It can mount a card reader and a USB drive to transfer files from one to the other, FWIW.

-Suntan
    ....awesome.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    By the end of the year I hope to migrate 85-90% of my computing to a TouchPad and a Tegra 3 powered Chromebook (given there are a couple on the market by the end of the year), supplemented by my phone and a desktop for management of my big files (Drobo and what not), and as a media PC connected to my TV (still works better than anything else for playing movies from a HDD on the big screen) but I couldn't go 100% tablet/Chromebook just yet.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamaru View Post
    However, I know that the iPad is tied to a PC or Mac for activation and software updates, etc.
    Cheers.
    That's actually not going to be true for much longer, Apple announced at their last fan-show that all iPhones & iPads can be activated stand-alone. ...They're so cutting edge...
    I too, plan to push the pc to the back of desk, and make room for the touchpad in the front as my main but not only device.
    tablets aren't nearly as fast as a real computer.

it's 1.2ghz, it's physics, don't lose prospective!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    tablets aren't nearly as fast as a real computer.

it's 1.2ghz, it's physics, don't lose prospective!
    Most people don't use anything significantly more resource intensive than Photoshop. Photoshop runs just fine on my ExoPC, powered by an intel Atom N450. Meanwhile, Tegra 3, out by the end of the summer, has been benchmarked and looks to be more potent than a Core 2 Duo T7200. I think you are the one that has lost perspective.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    right, photoshop runs fine on atom N450. Please, I had eeepc too, I'm no fool, it runs, but don't twist the meaning of "fine".

and you don't get tegra3 in TP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast