Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    With the release two weeks away, I'm surprised nobody has published a hands-on thorough review. I'd expect reviewers have the units by now. It would be nice to firm down some of the features/non-features.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    With the release two weeks away, I'm surprised nobody has published a hands-on thorough review. I'd expect reviewers have the units by now. It would be nice to firm down some of the features/non-features.
    I seriously do not expect reviewers to have units by now. Maybe one week early, at the earliest.

    And when there are review units out, there will be an embargo on when they can post reviews (probably July 1st).
  3. #3  
    IF people do have an early unit, it was likely contingent on them signing an NDA
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I seriously do not expect reviewers to have units by now. Maybe one week early, at the earliest.

    And when there are review units out, there will be an embargo on when they can post reviews (probably July 1st).
    Who knows how HP will want to play this. I think the main idea is that when the reviews come in, people don't have to wait to buy it. Remember the reviews that matter most are probably not the ones from dedicated tech sites like PreCentral, Engadget et al. It'll be the main stream press where most people read them. Most people won't know it's coming and aren't sitting round waiting to hear more news about it. That said, I can see logic in the reviews coming out to coincide with the pre order date rather than the release date.

    Here's a good question though. Will the reviews be for the Touchpad and the Pre 3 together so they can try TTS?
  5. #5  
    I just really think HP still does not have a final build of WebOS 3.0 they are happy with. they are going to push right down to the last possible second to get the OS as polished as possible along with apps that may or may not make release that they want reviewers to have.
  6. #6  
    rwhitby just confirmed over Twitter that his review unit is waiting at customs in Sydney.
  7. #7  
    99% of the time the reviews are released the day before launch. That's why almost every blog has a posting about it at almost the same time. Since July 1 is the launch, the reviews will probably come out on June 30.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I just really think HP still does not have a final build of WebOS 3.0 they are happy with. they are going to push right down to the last possible second to get the OS as polished as possible along with apps that may or may not make release that they want reviewers to have.
    Possibly. I don't know how or where they load/update the OS version for the bulk of the devices. Logistically it would be easiest at the factory before shipping. That would probably lead to at least a couple of weeks lead lag. It would be easy for HP to fly a small number to HQ for updating for reviewers ahead to the rest. My theory is that the OS was complete before they announced the release date.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    rwhitby just confirmed over Twitter that his review unit is waiting at customs in Sydney.

    I'd love to see a Rod Whitby review. He'd bring a literal "insiders" perspective to the table.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I'd love to see a Rod Whitby review. He'd bring a literal "insiders" perspective to the table.
    Judging by what happened to his Veer, we may actually SEE the insides of the Touchpad.
  11. #11  
    Rod writes reviews?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Possibly. I don't know how or where they load/update the OS version for the bulk of the devices. Logistically it would be easiest at the factory before shipping. That would probably lead to at least a couple of weeks lead lag. It would be easy for HP to fly a small number to HQ for updating for reviewers ahead to the rest. My theory is that the OS was complete before they announced the release date.
    An OTA update is certainly waiting for us new Touchpad owners on July 1st or immediately thereafter.

    I recall the original Pre had its own OTA waiting on launch date.
  13. #13  
    webOS internals tweeted today that they expect to get their TP within the next couple of days. I would suspect they are on the same schedule as all of the reviewers.

    EDIT: Here is the tweet:
    "And a few WebOS Internals developers will have a pre-release TouchPad delivered very soon! Mine is currently in customs in Sydney "
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  14. #14  
    I am sure they all will have a unit by next week.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  15. #15  
    From inside source, review units went out last week.. and yes they are NDA'd. And tons of software changes will be happening between now and release day.
  16. #16  
    Any inside sources want to venture into whether retailers will have enough units?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    rwhitby just confirmed over Twitter that his review unit is waiting at customs in Sydney.
    It's not a review unit. We participated in the 'show us your enyo app' program. And yes, most things are still under NDA.

    -- Rod

Posting Permissions