Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Presentations... Can WebOS display PowerPoint presentations in the first place?
    Ever tried Prezi? There are cloud based presentation 'Software As A Service - SAAS' options out there that absolutely would run on the TouchPad. No software to download, just an account & a browser.
    New projectors have Bluetooth as a connection. I wonder if that's possible with a software update.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    HP really needs to fix this for future versions of TP. We can play the apologist all we want... "well, I really wouldn't use it anyway", etc but it needs HDMI or display port.

My Galaxy Tab can become a pseudo-media server. I can stream audios/videos from my PC to Tab, then connect Tab to a TV with its HDMI dock (yeah wish it had HDMI out, instead of via dock but better than nothing). Again, "well I wouldn't really stream videos anyway"... right, but for one person that doesn't care, there's another one that does. It's all about having options. TP1 is quite limiting. I will not be buying... looking forward to a better TP2.
    I'm in the TouchPad 'buying' camp, but I couldn't agree more. Our household media consumption is completely driven by a MediaPC & connects to almost everything in the house (we ditched DirecTV & cable-less broadband).

Especially if you have kids, you want portability & ease when you distribute media from place to place. If we're visiting family (grandparents) & I want to access my media via a web server or say 'KalemSoft', I would LOVE to have the option to just plug in the TouchPad & be done with it. You can't give a room full of kids a TouchPad & expect them to share a movie, doesn't work too well. I really don't think output options are a niche need. I'd also be surprised if there aren't alternatives, but maybe there aren't.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I know someone, where I work, that uses a HP wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver for his ipad. He mainly uses it so he can walk around while controlling image content from his ipad.

I don't see why HP can't use there own technology for the touchpad to wireless link up to a HDMI receiver to send content.
    I was just about to say the exact same thing! I don't see why an accessory/adapter couldn't be purchased to pull this kind of thing off. There's no video out on the iPad1/2 but there is an adapter you can purchase if you really want/need this feature. I don't see why the same wouldn't be possible for the TP.
    I am, therefore I think
    i really dont think this is as important as it sounds like for normal consumers. maybe business market is different.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    I don't think it's really as cut and dried as that.
    That's why I said "for me" it is that cut and dry. Even my very tech challenged ex-girlfriend is always using her HDMI out on her laptop (I insisted the laptop she get have HDMI out) to watch Netflix. Once you start using the feature or have other people demo using the feature, I think you'll find it hard to go back. There are always exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    ...Just look at the iPad and iPad2. They don't have HDMI, and their utter failure on the marketplace shows how much consumers demand HDMI.
    The iPad2 DOES has a connector for HDMI or VGA out. When Apple adds a non-proprietary connector to it's products, it's only because they feel the connection is very important.
    HP really needs to fix this for future versions of TP. We can play the apologist all we want... "well, I really wouldn't use it anyway", etc but it needs HDMI or display port.

My Galaxy Tab can become a pseudo-media server. I can stream audios/videos from my PC to Tab, then connect Tab to a TV with its HDMI dock (yeah wish it had HDMI out, instead of via dock but better than nothing). Again, "well I wouldn't really stream videos anyway"... right, but for one person that doesn't care, there's another one that does. It's all about having options. TP1 is quite limiting. I will not be buying... looking forward to a better TP2.
    I think this is the main argument for people wanting HDMI other than presentations for enterprise, but most people think they want to hook it up to a TV for media watching.

Now I will tell you why so many of us don't care (not saying the feature wouldn't add to sales or shouldn't be there, just why some of us don't care). Those of us that truly want to stream media to our TV's have already figured it out. As GodShapedHole said, I have this taken care of throughout my house.

So do I need video out on my TP, not at all, I need my TP to be able to stream the media from my various networked devices (which it should do simply with software).

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just saying this is why some of us genuinely don't care.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ...It's a real and a very useful and a wanted feature! In this regard, I think it's a big fail on HP's part.
    I would agree, to some degree, were nothing available within a few weeks after its release.
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that HP was planning on coming up with an accessory that would allow the Touchpad to display to a projector. From what I read, it looked like there would only be enough bandwidth to display static pages (like presentations) well and so would not be fit for streaming video. If I were to guess, it'll be some VGA-over-Bluetooth type of technology, but until there's any official word, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    If Apple can make Airplay send and receive audio/video via WIFI, I'm pretty certain HP has something up their sleeves.

Actually a few years ago here on P|C forum we discussed the option of using the Pre for Powerpoint slides and having a VNC server transmit to a larger display or projector (many projectors now have VNC viewer tech built-in). VNC has limitations with transmitting audio and video, but anything is possible with the right hardware (fast processor, WiFI), the right people,and motivation to make it happen.

WebOS Internals will have new and shiny Touchpad soon and maybe they can help. I'm looking forward to seeing what HP can accomplish and if not the homebrew community always steps up and makes a difference. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    No you aren't. There isn't one.

While it is a common feature, it's not commonly used.

Still though, that's no excuse.

Are you sure it's not commonly used on tablets that offer that feature?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I was going to get the touchpad but this made me changed my mind - I love webOS but seriously no HDMI ?
    Wait and see if they release an attachment like iPad. I tested the Apple one, and while it would be best to have built-in HDMI out IMO, the dongle solution still works.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Wait and see if they release an attachment like iPad. I tested the Apple one, and while it would be best to have built-in HDMI out IMO, the dongle solution still works.
    microUSB doesn't support video out to the best of my knowledge. Apple's proprietary 30 pin connector apparently does support full video mirroring, but only on the iPad2 thanks to some hardware upgrades. I just don't see any way HP can do video out via a purely hardware solution.

I agree with the we just have to wait, watch and listen for HP to finally give a solid answer on video out plans.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    microUSB doesn't support video out to the best of my knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    microUSB doesn't support video out to the best of my knowledge. Apple's proprietary 30 pin connector apparently does support full video mirroring, but only on the iPad2 thanks to some hardware upgrades. I just don't see any way HP can do video out via a purely hardware solution.

I agree with the we just have to wait, watch and listen for HP to finally give a solid answer on video out plans.
    It also works on other devices through the firmware update. Apple stated this. Only newer ones. I watched video on my TV from the 4th gen. iPod touch.

Only a "Fail" if HP doesn't give us a wireless workaround (Better). If it is reasonably priced, simple, VGA/HDMI and reliable then I consider it a win!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I never even thought about this until I saw this thread. I was going to pre-order tomorrow, but if this "business oriented table" can't even connect to a projector it makes me wonder what other "obvious features" are missing.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It also works on other devices through the firmware update. Apple stated this. Only newer ones. I watched video on my TV from the 4th gen. iPod touch.
    I don't know anything about the firmware update. To the best of my knowledge, full mirroring only works on the iPad2. The iPad1 and iPhone4 have video out, but only on special applications like "video", not full mirroring as of the last information I saw.

Even so, Apple doesn't use the microUSB connector, they're using their own proprietary 30 pin connector so the update doesn't really apply to the TouchPad as far as I can tell.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast