Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IHO the majority of pad users will not use this feature and it is not a deal breaker for me.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    First, do you actually need it?
    Yes.

Well, maybe I don't NEED it, but I would USE it on a weekly basis. I could see using the TP as a presentation device in my youth ministry. My wife would use it daily in her elementary music classroom (assuming it had the apps she needed). I would think that having the ability to run the TP through a projector would be an essential component. I'm like the original poster and had assumed that it would be there.
    I’ll be interested to see the long term reliability of these miniHDMI connections on portable devices when people are plugging them in and out on a daily basis.

The HDMI spec itself is not a very robust design, with a delicate connection for such a large amount of data moving on so many contacts, and it is well documented about the net of people having issues with the connectors on full sized HDMI interfaces.

I will be interested to see if the mini HDMI interface holds up better to multiple connections over time.

-Suntan
    My company's projector has a wireless card interface so no need for cables for video. The TouchPad could theoretically connect to projectors wireless making it even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhizx View Post
    My company's projector has a wireless card interface so no need for cables for video. The TouchPad could theoretically connect to projectors wireless making it even better!
    My company’s IT guys don’t have sense enough to keep the wires plugged in properly… I shutter think how aggravating it would be to try and get wireless working from conf room to conf room…

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone can say they want or need a feature or application around here without the You Don't Need It Choir chiming in.
    Why should that choir be any more silent than the "What, it doesn't have that???" choir?

Personally, I expect to see a SUB HDMI out. Not sure it will happen, but I'm thinking it will.
    I'm wondering if anyone can say they want or need a feature or application around here without the You Don't Need It Choir chiming in.
    Opinions are opinions... it's not like there's a bloody fight yet. This forum is for discussion, right?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I can see both sides. I don't think a majority of owners will use video out, but I do think a lot of owners would use video out.

Having video out won't stop somebody from buying it, but not having video out will stop a lot of people from buying it. I've seen multiple members on this site already say no video out is a deal killer for them, and it seems a lot of members feel no video out is a complete deal killer for enterprise marketing.

What I really think it comes down to is how people will use their tablets. As a laptop replacement or a toy? I would be using mine as a laptop replacement, and for me, that necessitates video out.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    It's one thing to not have HDMI output; it's another thing entirely for a purported enterprise machine to not even have a VGA output for presentations using the majority of available video projectors. Apple has an output that has both in one jack. Seems like a really bad mistake. One of my major uses of this would be Powerpoint presentations while traveling.
    That's definitely a glaring issue. If HP wants to sell these to enterprise they're going to need some way to have it interface with projectors easily going from location to location.

Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    THIS

I am not concerned at all about HDMI out. But, it does seem odd that it will not connect to a projector / other screen. I'll be curious to see what launches and what remedies may be available.
    HDMI would be the preferred method to use because it's pretty easy to step down from an HDMI to VGA with a simple adaptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    IHO the majority of pad users will not use this feature and it is not a deal breaker for me.
    Yes, because you don't use it, why should a company offer the extra feature? That makes sense. Screw all the many, many people that use them. I don't know a single Android user that doesn't use their micro sd slot, and yet, whenever I bring up the lack here, I get this as the answer: "Nobody uses it any way."

That is absolutely not true.

It makes me sad, because the Touchpad is so close to being exactly what I want. And a couple extremely simple additions would make the product absolutely perfect.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    What I really think it comes down to is how people will use their tablets. As a laptop replacement or a toy? I would be using mine as a laptop replacement, and for me, that necessitates video out.
    I don't think it's really as cut and dried as that.

I have never used the digital or analog out ports on my personal laptop.

However, I have a docking station, and that is hooked up to a monitor - actually two monitors a VGA and and HDMI.

I'm sure though, that for a lot of people (probably most) that use a laptop, the screen that comes with it is fine. That may be the same way with a tablet.

That said, they will definitely have a broader market if they shortly after releases, have a USB cable that will do VIDEO out.
    I'll give you this - If someone asks why there isn't a feature or app available, then saying "You don't need that", while very lame, is probably on-topic. I just love it when I go into a restaurant and ask them if they make a particular dish and being told "You don't want to eat that."
    Not really. Of course, few (if any, I haven't gone back and checked) have said "you don't need that". They leave the implication there, but most offer alternatives - the device comes with what HP views as essential apps and you may soon see others. Or, in this case, the TP won't come with that, most people don't use those they have, but there may be an add on adapter available.

If you really examine it, other than the "blunt form" in which you're giving it - the answer "HP didn't feel it was needed as a feature" is the correct answer as to "why".
    HP really needs to fix this for future versions of TP. We can play the apologist all we want... "well, I really wouldn't use it anyway", etc but it needs HDMI or display port.

My Galaxy Tab can become a pseudo-media server. I can stream audios/videos from my PC to Tab, then connect Tab to a TV with its HDMI dock (yeah wish it had HDMI out, instead of via dock but better than nothing). Again, "well I wouldn't really stream videos anyway"... right, but for one person that doesn't care, there's another one that does. It's all about having options. TP1 is quite limiting. I will not be buying... looking forward to a better TP2.
    Pros of HDMI: HDMI is a nice, cool interface as far as cables go. (+1 point)
    Cons of HDMI: HDMI uses a cable. (-1000000 points)

The more cables I can forever banish from my home, the happier I will be. I know that people have gotten much worse mileage out of DLNA than I have, but my experience with streaming stuff to my PS3 has been nothing but stellar for years now.

I'm not sure whether the TouchPad / webOS3 will support DLNA out of the box, but even if it doesn't, DLNA support should only be one software update or app download away.

Plus, if I have downloaded media I want to display on my TV... I'll have to admit that I'm too deeply engaged in Steve's hated PC World to download that media on my tablet. I'd probably rather use my desktop PC's wired internet connection to download and stream the content to my TV - but that's just me.
    And as far as pictures or videos taken with your TouchPad go (and I'm not sure why anyone would want to shoot pictures or videos with an unwieldy tablet as opposed to a handy phone... which isn't even touching on the fact that the TouchPad's lack of a back camera makes it REALLY REALLY unwieldy for that purpose), DLNA is definitely able to handle stuff like that.

On the topic of tablets *NEEDING* HDMI, and people disclaiming that You Don't Need That™... Just look at the iPad and iPad2. They don't have HDMI, and their utter failure on the marketplace shows how much consumers demand HDMI.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 06/16/2011 at 01:14 PM.
    Many of the new projectors coming out are wifi enabled. No need to fiddle with cables.
    You'd use a TP for presentations if it has a video port? What app would you use for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not really. Of course, few (if any, I haven't gone back and checked) have said "you don't need that". They leave the implication there, but most offer alternatives - the device comes with what HP views as essential apps and you may soon see others. Or, in this case, the TP won't come with that, most people don't use those they have, but there may be an add on adapter available.

If you really examine it, other than the "blunt form" in which you're giving it - the answer "HP didn't feel it was needed as a feature" is the correct answer as to "why".
    I was slurping on some beef noodles last week at this Chinese noodle shop famous for its hand-drawn noodles. A couple came in, sat down, looked at the menu and asked the waitress, "do you have any rice dishes?". The waitress shook her head and said "no... we're a noodle shop". The couple looked at each other, then stood up and left. I don't know what they were expecting.

If we're demanding a feature that's not supposed to be there like an air freshener attachment to the Touchpad and complain about why it's not available, then we're being silly. But asking for a video output IMO is perfectly acceptable in the realm of tablets especially when you consider practically all other competitive tablets in the market have this ability. And it's not a gimmick feature (*cough* Evo 4D *cough*). It's a real and a very useful and a wanted feature! In this regard, I think it's a big fail on HP's part.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    HDMI on projectors are rare, most just have dvi/vga. That being said, it'd be nice to have a usb adapter to transmit to these types of connectors. I would be surprised if HP wasn't already thinking about this, I mean -- don't you think when HP employees are sitting in a meeting talking about the TouchPad with a powerpoint in the background that someone would connect the dots?
    I'll give you this - If someone asks why there isn't a feature or app available, then saying "You don't need that", while very lame, is probably on-topic. I just love it when I go into a restaurant and ask them if they make a particular dish and being told "You don't want to eat that."
    Cool.

But this is more like when I'm going to the restaurant and another patron tells me "this restaurant is garbage! they don't even have frog in snail sauce! come on, I'm jumping ship to another restaurant that does!", and I kindly tell him that I wasn't planning on having frog in snail sauce in the first place, and he yells at me "don't you have any standards?? it's not about whether you WANT to eat frog in snail sauce, it's about whether the restaurant is classy enough to OFFER frog in snail sauce! Now come join me at the other restaurant or I'll judge you so hard!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Unless you want to let your friends watch you play Angry Birds on the big screen, it’s only real use is for movie playback.
    I agree on one level, but not all. In an enterprise environment, output options like HDMI are feasible. Our organization (which is very large) has dvi & hdmi in our 100s of conference rooms. Many rooms don't have projection, but rather they have flat panels. HDMI out from our 'HP' laptops is frequently used. Does anyone know of the plan for output options on the TouchPad (actual question I have)?

While I get that the tablet isn't necessarily supposed to replace the laptop, it would have marked improvement in enterprise success if output options were seamless. Having portable presentation capabilities for analytics, spreadsheets, etc. etc. is huge.

Problem solved if webOS is on the PC or laptop though (managed via profile), but it had better run on existing hardware. But that's completely backwards...why lug around a laptop from room to room if you don't have to? Even more an issue for a field sales deployment of the hardware. Eliminating the laptop from that world would be a very welcome proposition.

Got your point, just thought I'd get people thinking about business use too.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast