1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP enters fray to be #2 tablet OS

HP enters fray to be #2 tablet OS | Telemanagement

By: David Anderson, June 15, 2011 - 1:33pm
    On the tablet front, behind the Apple iPad there is the Android Honeycomb OS, Windows 8, and now Hewlett-Packard’s webOS, which HP picked up in last year’s Palm acquisition.

webOS is expected to ship on every HP computer, and may be licensed to other companies, just as Microsoft does with Windows.

“We want to create a holistic ecosystem around webOS,” Apotheker said at All Things Digital’s D9 conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA. “We’re putting it on phones, on our TouchPad tablet which will debut as scheduled this summer. And we’ll put webOS on PCs. … It will go on every PC that we’ll ship.”

It’s not news that HP is a strong Microsoft partner, but now it is looking further afield, suggesting that HP is losing confidence in Microsoft’s tablet strategy.

In response to the overall market threat, Microsoft is limiting chip-makers to only one computer manufacturer – if they want to qualify for certain incentives. Microsoft seems to be trying (again) to exert some control over the market, and to exert the kind of technological discipline that Apple has with its iPad. If chip makers and device manufacturers partner, and don’t work with anyone else on Windows tablets, Microsoft is hoping that those tablets will have more coherent designs.

This isn’t new for Microsoft. Last year the company limited device manufacturers to certain specifications for Windows Phone 7. By all accounts it was not a raging success, but the company feels it has no choice as it wades its way through a highly competitive hardware ecosystem.

This is where HP may have an advantage, in that it is a hardware company that has decided to move into the software space. Given that the biggest potential area to license webOS could be tablets, the HP devices, when they come out, could redefine the market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Cool.

Too bad the article doesn't actually show a Touchpad.
    personally i think #2 is a totally reasonable and obtainable goal for HP. they should just forget about trying to outsell the iPad.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    not bad to be a close 2nd.......
    I would love to see the TouchPad get to 2nd behind iOS. After all this is HP first webOS tablet.

Agreed it is bad that the photo is of an HP Slate.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    personally i think #2 is a totally reasonable and obtainable goal for HP. they should just forget about trying to outsell the iPad.
    Did HP say they were attempting to out-sell the iPad?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

Not right away. They want to become a strong number 3 and then go for the roses from there. That's from the allthingsd conference.
    Thanks,

Jetsetter's post said they should just forget trying to outsell the iPad. As if that was their immediate goal.
    When in fact, all I've heard HP say was the market had room for many players.
    I really like it how HP has set a goal to be the #2 Mobile OS. It differentiates them from all the other failed companies who were all saying, "We're going to bet the iPad!". HP has set a great realistic goal that they can achieve. If you are #2 and you have a better product than #1, you will slowly take mindshare away from #1 and that is what matters. This just goes to show that HP is thinking differently than all the other failed companies and truly intends to meet its goal 100% without exceptions.
    When I say failed companies, I mean the products that did not end up taking over the iPad.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  10.    #10  
    Hi all

One doesn't need to beat Apple to be a success......HP can make a great deal of $ just being on the race.....HP is bound to pick up so fans when webOS is incorporated on PC's, laptops, netbooks and printers.

Plus HP will certainly be in a position to leverage enterprise accounts, (since HP is in every aspect of computing..including servers,, blades, cloud computing etc....)!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I said it in another thread;
    I'd be happy at number 3.
    Like HP, I see room for more than one player. I'd be totally tickled pink to be number 3.
    I guess if I was ego driven I'd need to find my identity by winning. But I'll be dirt soon enough.
    indirectly, yes. "number 1 plus" etc etc
    Thanks,

Jetsetter's post said they should just forget trying to outsell the iPad. As if that was their immediate goal.
    When in fact, all I've heard HP say was the market had room for many players.
    uhm, maybe they didn't use the word 'outsell'. but you've been living under a rock if you haven't concluded that, at least for awhile, they seemed to want to take on the ipad head to head.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all

One doesn't need to beat Apple to be a success......HP can make a great deal of $ just being on the race.....HP is bound to pick up so fans when webOS is incorporated on PC's, laptops, netbooks and printers.
    Agreed
    uhm, maybe they didn't use the word 'outsell'. but you've been living under a rock if you haven't concluded that, at least for awhile, they seemed to want to take on the ipad head to head.
    I never drew that conclusion.
    I guess I would expect them to build to that point, but not right out of the gate.

I do live under a rock.
    Just call me Berd.
    I think they should qualify their every PC statement. Many enterprise customers aren't going to allow it no matter how cool it is.

I think they mean every consumer PC
    Forcing themselves into the marketplace, just like Google did with Android, will be their key to success.
    I certainly hope webOS can become the #2 tablet OS, but I doubt it can pass Android.
    A realistic goal near term is to become the #2 tablet vendor.
    Yeah, that particular comment was pretty bone-headed, which is why (I hope) you haven't heard it anywhere else. It probably caused quite a few groans within the company.
    Talking about the device, not the sales. And they're right, from what I've seen.
    Newness Developments apps:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast