1.    #1  
    Touchpad TV capabilities? I'm located in Hurricane country and since Over The Air broadcast television went digital my small battery powered analog TV no longer functions. I was shopping for a small portable digital TV when I started thinking: since I'm planning on getting a TouchPad, will that be able to meet my needs? I know that you can get a USB TV tuner which works on laptops and desktops and wondered if that might work on the TouchPad? I couldn't find an answer with a search of the forums. It would be a nice solution but I can"t find any idea of whether or not that would work. I'm not looking for DVR capabilities but just a way of getting local news stations during a power outage. I realize that would also affect battery life but have 12 voltage storage batteries with inverter capabilties to solve that issue. (just don't want to kill the 12 volt battery running a 32" HDTV)
    Unfortunately I realize that the USB port on the TouchPad is still somewhat of an unknown animal which means there might not be any answer to this until launch and the "multimedia announcement" scheduled for launch day. Any ideas or suggestions are always appreciated.
    As far as using a usb tuner, it won't work. However, there are other fixes like hooking into your home cable tv. Time Warner has an app for the iPad that you can watch live TV from but they just came out with it. You could look into using a service called Orb (Welcome - Orb).
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Elgato has this wifi TV for the ipad...might be possible that they develope a quick port to the TP. Shouldn't be too complicated I guess.
    For the suggestions above you would probably have to have a 3G TP, since you are talking about being without power.

And as said above, the USB won't work, no drivers for the OS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Unrelated, but I much prefer them bringing DLNA support to stream from a UPnP Media Server. One thing even my old N810 can do out of the box.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the answers:
    The downside to using 3G is that then I'm just getting prerecorded streamed TV which I can already do with the Pre-. If I'm in a power outage from a storm/hurricane then I'd rather have a local TV broadcast instead of a feed (Weather Channel) which might be old and not as pertinent to my specific area. Not just being paranoid, I seem to attract hurricanes, having been through and or affected by probably 20 some hurricanes in the past 20 years due to living on the coasts of Florida and North Carolina. I do have a generator so I usually can still watch on the regular TV but do like the option of giving it a rest at night.
    ** I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a small digital TV or a USB TV tuner stick for my wife's laptop computer. I just wanted to try to justify in my mind yet another reason to buy the TouchPad.* It's still a decision in which I'm wavering as I'm a Sprint customer and would sure like to get a Pre3 and TouchPad and stick with Sprint. Who even knows if Sprint will have it and whether or not it'll happen soon?

Time and Tide wait for no man.
    sent from my Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    As far as using a usb tuner, it won't work. However, there are other fixes like hooking into your home cable tv. Time Warner has an app for the iPad that you can watch live TV from but they just came out with it. You could look into using a service called Orb (Welcome - Orb).
    Orb works on webOS devices. A little quirky but it does work. They recently switched their primary interface to flash.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Would love a native Orb app for webOS, but they have made no announcements and are waiting like everyone else. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Would love a native Orb app for webOS, but they have made no announcements and are waiting like everyone else. Sorli...
    Stay tuned. (*hint *hint)
    - John Wayne
    i just emailed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i just emailed them.
    ha ha, I am actually working on a orb app right now, using it as a learning project because I have wanted an Orb app for WebOS for a long time. I wouldn't cross your fingers quite yet because it is slowly going. I might have it done by the end of the year but don't know because I don't have Enyo yet.
    Now don't steal my idea grr.....
    - John Wayne
    You'd do much better to get a dedicated portable LCD TV for hurricanes/power outages. Power consumption is your primary concern and any streaming solution will require additional components that will need power. Walmart has a 7" unit with rechargeable for $60. Not as fun or techie as a touchpad solution, but it will get the job done when you need it.
    ha ha, I am actually working on a orb app right now, using it as a learning project because I have wanted an Orb app for WebOS for a long time. I wouldn't cross your fingers quite yet because it is slowly going. I might have it done by the end of the year but don't know because I don't have Enyo yet.
    Fantastic and yes I also registered and email Orb this afternoon. I'd love to see something like Orb and a native application designed by someone who is familiar with webOS would be even better! Thanks for trying and I'll look forward to seeing things in action. Need any Beta Tester!!! Sorli...
    A full slingbox client would be great for the touchpad... I use it religiously on the iPad 2.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
    Fantastic and yes I also registered and email Orb this afternoon. I'd love to see something like Orb and a native application designed by someone who is familiar with webOS would be even better! Thanks for trying and I'll look forward to seeing things in action. Need any Beta Tester!!! Sorli...
    Oh no, its no were near done or working. But I know who to call when I do need one
    - John Wayne
    oh haha. whoops. sorry. this is nice to hear. i used to use orb may back when i had an Instinct. lol. glad to hear bud. sweet.
    Need any Beta Tester!!!