Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    So my wife is on board and is excited for the TouchPad - I have kept her from buying a iPad (shudder)

Her two main points are watching movies- thats what she wants the thing for- web browseing and watching movies.

She has tons of those "Digital" copy movies on her iTunes and of cource Netflix.

Even if there is no Netflix app- will it just work in the browser?

And that big cloud music synergy thing...will that work with her itunes and movies on there?

If she knows she can watch movies etc on the thing she will want one on launch, if not... she will prolly want an iPad and have reason behind it :-(
    Netflix won't work on tablet browser. Unfortunately, right now, iPad is the best thing for her. If Netflix and movie are the most important thing for her, why don't you get the refurbished iPad 1 wifi. You can get one for around $300. Beside Netflix and itune movie, there's iPad app called AVPlayer HD, it will let you play any kind of codec. You don't need to convert anything. Or you can get Air Video, it will let you stream your movie from pc to your iPad.

Get iPad 1 for now, and wait until TouchPad to check up with some important apps and Netflix. I am sure you can resell your iPad without any issue, and get most of your money back.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post

Get iPad 1 for now, and wait until TouchPad to check up with some important apps and Netflix. I am sure you can resell your iPad without any issue, and get most of your money back.
    +1

FWIW the new /refurbished iPad1 rates are low and it will still sell well as a used one. The analysts keep drumming the iPad2 sales but they won't talk about the iPad1 returns. I bet there are at least couple of million iPad1s returned after the iPad2 got announced.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah the netflix app seems to be delayed for release, so even then u may have to wait a few months for that. itunes movies i dont think play outside of itunes so i have no idea how to put those on the tp.
    so for now yes ipad is the better choice, 2 or three months from now i believe the touchpad will pretty much match most of the ipads multimedia
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Where did you guys hear that the netflix app is delayed for release?
    But you can use Flash. Don't know how fast this will be, but you can use it for mediafiles etc. from the internet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeda View Post
    But you can use Flash. Don't know how fast this will be, but you can use it for mediafiles etc. from the internet...
    Sure - so sites like Hulu might work - depending on how they decide to treat the platform. There are many sites that deny this type of media on non-PC/Mac systems due to DCMA and other intellectual property issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    So my wife is on board and is excited for the TouchPad - I have kept her from buying a iPad (shudder)

Her two main points are watching movies- thats what she wants the thing for- web browseing and watching movies.

She has tons of those "Digital" copy movies on her iTunes and of cource Netflix.

Even if there is no Netflix app- will it just work in the browser?

And that big cloud music synergy thing...will that work with her itunes and movies on there?
    If she wants access to iTunes and Netflix why are you trying to prevent her buying an iPad? Do you want an unhappy wife?
    looks like she is subtly telling you that she wants an iPad.

She knows how to push your buttons!

make her happy

There is no reason to force a touchpad to someone whose needs are met exactly by the ipad
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Congratulations, your wife is Apple's ideal customer.

Once you'v'e stepped inside that walled garden, it's hard to ever get out. Say goodbye to the word "choice".
    In the Feb 9th event they showed Netflix in the big list of apps they were going to have as well as, the Netflix icon being in a few of the screenshots they showed. So if Netflix isn't available at launch it will soon there after.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukeda View Post
    Except Netflix uses MS Silverlight. Sure, there are lots of other Flash based video services, but nothing like Netflix out there... Hope they get an App on day one. I won't by a Touchpad based on promises and hopes, it has to do my core functions on day one (Netflix being one of them). until I see the apps I need, I'll just stick with the iPad 1.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Congratulations, your wife is Apple's ideal customer.

Once you'v'e stepped inside that walled garden, it's hard to ever get out. Say goodbye to the word "choice".
    Agreed. iPad is right for her. You could go Honeycomb/TouchPad. But that's going to take some conversion of all those movies to a format that will work on it. Lots of work, but you won't be as hampered with lack of choices down the road. The conversion process away from Apple is a long one. But it's also pretty rewarding. Trust me, I converted all my old iTunes music to DRM-free, and it was a pain, but well worth it. All my DVDs are ripped and on media servers, I can put them on my phone or ZuneHD. Shouldn't have trouble putting them on the TouchPad. As soon as I have a couple Drobo servers, my Blu-rays are next.

It's doable, but trust me, it is going to take a lot of work.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    +1. If you love your wife, get her an iPad

Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Agreed. iPad is right for her.
    who will use the tablet more, her or you?
    wait until july 1, go shopping with her to look at both and then decide.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Yes, she is one of those cursed ideal apple customers- HP needs to get their "ecosystem" up to what apple has done- that includes the brainwashing.

Every time we get one of those Bluray combo packs of XYZ movie she always imports it to itunes- i always tell her to import it on the computer as a standard movie file (the digital copy gives you an option, usualy like itunes, AVI or Zune or something like that) I tell her to do anything BUT itunes and THEN import it into itunes so you have access TO THE ACTUAL FILE

Masters Degree in technology my **** she still throws it straight into iTunes- she is starting to see how natzi apple is with their music etc.

She likes the Toutchpad and she will deal with "just netflix" but she wont buy a pre3 or veer- just because of the app selection.. she loves apps for everything. First she got some app that tracked her ovulation and THEN she got a buncha "what to expect while pregnant" apps and now the kids here she has a buncha random "the first years" apps.

I blame apps for this all! if only she was on webos she would have some fun games, apps that are for work and use!

;-)

Oh and it wont ever be an ipad because this is "My tablet, she will just use" then she was like "So when you going to get it" I said prolly not on july 1- i will wait till I get a pre3 to go with it- then she was sad revealing her true intentions of stealing "my" tablet!

If she gets an iPadX it will be come her birthday - if the toutchpad cant do what she wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    Yes, she is one of those cursed ideal apple customers- HP needs to get their "ecosystem" up to what apple has done- that includes the brainwashing.

Every time we get one of those Bluray combo packs of XYZ movie she always imports it to itunes- i always tell her to import it on the computer as a standard movie file (the digital copy gives you an option, usualy like itunes, AVI or Zune or something like that) I tell her to do anything BUT itunes and THEN import it into itunes so you have access TO THE ACTUAL FILE

Masters Degree in technology my **** she still throws it straight into iTunes- she is starting to see how natzi apple is with their music etc.

She likes the Toutchpad and she will deal with "just netflix" but she wont buy a pre3 or veer- just because of the app selection.. she loves apps for everything. First she got some app that tracked her ovulation and THEN she got a buncha "what to expect while pregnant" apps and now the kids here she has a buncha random "the first years" apps.

I blame apps for this all! if only she was on webos she would have some fun games, apps that are for work and use!

;-)

Oh and it wont ever be an ipad because this is "My tablet, she will just use" then she was like "So when you going to get it" I said prolly not on july 1- i will wait till I get a pre3 to go with it- then she was sad revealing her true intentions of stealing "my" tablet!

If she gets an iPadX it will be come her birthday - if the toutchpad cant do what she wants.
    geez to keep family peace get 2 tablets, give her the ipad1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    geez to keep family peace get 2 tablets, give her the ipad1
    I am no Apple fan, but there are people that Apple products are perfect for. People that want the ecosystem, and don't care how hampered they are by it. Sounds like your wife is one of those people. Let her get the iPad. You don't have to use it.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Where did you guys hear that the netflix app is delayed for release?
    +1.

I have heard nothing of any kind of 'delay'. The app hasn't even been officially announced that it's in development, as far as I know other than the icons we have seen at the 2/9 event.
    You can get the Touchpad, she can get the iPad....and you will be happier for longer....the end.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast