Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well, You probably haven't hit this problem yet, but it looks like HP won't be selling an upgraded version of the car charger to work with the 10W Touchstone2. Luckily there are solutions out there. TomTom have just release a 12V adapter with a High Power USB port that is compatiable with the iPad and presumably the Touchpad too. It retails for £19.99 direct from TomTom in the UK.

    "Power has always been an issue for me in the car. This is becoming more of a problem with the advent of MP3 players, iPad and iPhone, not to mention portable DVD players to keep the passengers quiet. This is often compounded by having just a single power outlet in a car requiring switching of plugs to keep things topped up on long journeys. Even worse is the differing power requirements the the iPad has!!!

    TomTom have solved these issues somewhat with the TomTom High Speed Multi-Charger. This compact accessory is just a little larger than the TomTom power supplies for the iPhone cradle. The Multi-Charger has a pass-through accessory socket and 2 USB sockets on it. One USB socket provides a non-standard 1.2 amp power USB connector (standard is 500 mA), whilst the other provides a thumping 2.1 amps (or 10 Watts) required for the iPad."


    TomTom High Speed MultiCharger Reviewed

    High Speed Multi-Charger - Chargers & connect cables - Accessories - TomTom
  2. #2  
    There are a lot of cheaper alternatives already. Seems like any iPad charger would work for the TouchPad.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    There are a lot of cheaper alternatives already. Seems like any iPad charger would work for the TouchPad.
    Agreed.

    Here's a few more. Some are just plain ugly though. Also you have to wonder about the quality/safety/longevity of some of the more obscure brands. The Griffin below looks pretty neat though.

    Griffin Powerjolt Micro for iPad - buy at Firebox.com

    TRIXES Black Micro 2 Port USB Car Charger Adapter for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

    Scosche reVIVE II - Dual USB Car Charger for iPad and iPad 2: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
  4. #4  
    i just keep an inverter in the car. If I take a trip and need to plug in something, no problem.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    i just keep an inverter in the car. If I take a trip and need to plug in something, no problem.
    Agreed! I gave up on 12v chargers for everything years ago.
    regards,

    Dan

    ------------------
    TabletPC user
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    i just keep an inverter in the car. If I take a trip and need to plug in something, no problem.
    word, got a cool one that fits in a cup holder. 1 each 110v socket and a 1 each usb plug..
  7. #7  
    Yep, I love the USB plug. All I have to carry is the USB cable if I just want to charge in the car. In fact, I keep a USB cable in the car just for that purpose.
  8. #8  
    I got an inverter from radio shack a couple years ago. It came with two outlets which is pretty handy.

    later on, on road trips I started pluggin a power strip into it, really expanding it's usability.

    when we go to FL, we have a laptop, multiple phones/ipods all plugged in. We have a fan and our daughter usually will bring a friend or two on vacation too.

    it works great.
  9.    #9  
    aren't they a bit big and ugly?
  10. #10  
    How do you know her friends are big and ugly? What a horrible thing to say.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  11. #11  
    ROFL@ka1
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    aren't they a bit big and ugly?
    You can get them in all types of shapes and sizes any more. Size usually depends on how much power you want outta it.



    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    How do you know her friends are big and ugly? What a horrible thing to say.
    lolz
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    I got an inverter from radio shack a couple years ago. It came with two outlets which is pretty handy.

    later on, on road trips I started pluggin a power strip into it, really expanding it's usability.

    when we go to FL, we have a laptop, multiple phones/ipods all plugged in. We have a fan and our daughter usually will bring a friend or two on vacation too.

    it works great.
    I have blown a fuse in my Honda Van with too many 12v adapters so be careful of this approach.
    zappcatt likes this.
  14. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    I got an inverter from radio shack a couple years ago. It came with two outlets which is pretty handy.

    later on, on road trips I started pluggin a power strip into it, really expanding it's usability.

    when we go to FL, we have a laptop, multiple phones/ipods all plugged in. We have a fan and our daughter usually will bring a friend or two on vacation too.

    it works great.
    You don't fry it?
    That's a decent load.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  15. #15  
    I've blown fuses on the inverters and the cars...

    When we were without power at our house for 4 days, I ran a 27inch TV off an inverter while charging our Centro's and my craftsman batteries for my work light I was using... Sometimes it would blow, sometimes it wouldn't.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You can get them in all types of shapes and sizes
    can I get one that looks like Yoda?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I've blown fuses on the inverters and the cars...

    When we were without power at our house for 4 days, I ran a 27inch TV off an inverter while charging our Centro's and my craftsman batteries for my work light I was using... Sometimes it would blow, sometimes it wouldn't.
    What is the rated capacity of your inverter? Many of the 2 plug versions are pretty weak. I have a 600watt but it drives off the battery directly not from the 12v plug.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    What is the rated capacity of your inverter? Many of the 2 plug versions are pretty weak. I have a 600watt but it drives off the battery directly not from the 12v plug.
    It wasn't very high, borrowed it from my father in law at the time. I was just happy to be watching TV and charging my stuff without having to go hang out at someone elses house.

    Yeah I've used the direct battery ones as well.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19. #19  
    has anyone tried out chargers to use with a touchpad since the last post on this thread?
  20. LurkerX's Avatar
    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #20  
    I use the one I've had for my Palm Pre for the last two years. It charges the TouchPad as well, just real, real slowly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions