1.    #1  
    One of the biggest complaints I have about tablets is their on-screen keyboards. It's just so unwieldily to try and type on while holding the tablet.

I thought it odd how many people were wowed by the Windows 8 demos; I didn't find much to get excited about except for this:

This way you can hold your tablet and type with your thumbs. I SO want this. I hope this is not some patent held by Microsoft. At the very least, I hope someone makes a patch in Preware for it.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Should be easy to implement via homebrew. Won't be an official solution.
    For a 10 inch device, it would be nice to have at least 2 options -- a split keyboard when you are holding it in your hands as the photo above and a more traditional keyboard when on a surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    One of the biggest complaints I have about tablets is their on-screen keyboards. It's just so unwieldily to try and type on while holding the tablet.

I thought it odd how many people were wowed by the Windows 8 demos; I didn't find much to get excited about except for this:

This way you can hold your tablet and type with your thumbs. I SO want this. I hope this is not some patent held by Microsoft. At the very least, I hope someone makes a patch in Preware for it.
    that would be hot
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    That is a very good idea..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

There isn't a 'split keyboard' patent. Here is the iOS5 version.
    They've also added the option to move the keyboard to the top (or middle) of the screen. I'm not sure why you would want that...

I personally think the size shift of webOS are much more useful than the moveable keyboard of iOS.
    The added number row trumps both Apple and Windows keyboards for me!
    I really like the one screen for everything (number row, hold A key for symbols) mentality of webOS virtual keyboard. HP really did right by consumers when they launched their virtual keyboard so I am sure a split keyboard will be an option soon.
    dont worry, we will have an official split keyboard in 2013.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Should be easy to implement via homebrew. Won't be an official solution.
    Maybe, just maybe ... there could be a split keyboard app, that could override the factory VKB...

Just thinking out loud, I like the idea of the split KB.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 06/14/2011 at 05:21 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I love the idea of a split keyboard option. I'd be willing to pay for it if it could be done with an app or patch.
    Two words for you: patch. Wait. One word. But, if they maintain their open attitude, someone could make a patch altering the keyboard. Because I agree, I think it is a bit more intuitively awesome to have a split keyboard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I don't quite know about this. I have tried using split keyboards but they just aren't for me. I think the best thing they can do for type input is to implement a Voice to Text feature similar to Android's. It would be incredibly useful on a tablet.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    I can see this being very useful. However, I tried Swype on a friend's Samsung Galaxy Ace and that was quite nice as well. I doubt we'll get Swype though.

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    dont worry, we will have an official split keyboard in 2013.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    one of my first Android app purchases after getting my Xoom was Thumb Keyboard (split style and configurable). I was impressed that the platform allowed keyboard apps - what a great way to allow customization