Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I'm guessing walt mossberg, david Pogue, and the usual suspects for tech reviews should have their Touchpad units already.

    Really hoping reviews are positive! Its like a make or break coming out party for HP WebOS.

    I also hope they were given Pre3's to go along w their touchpads! Their connectivity I think is a big differentiating factor for us!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  2. #2  
    I'm sure there are... just seeing that in many of the demo's recently they have been so relaxed about showing off the darn thing. Back in February it was like they only showed SPECIFIC apps, never opened one without it already being running, and always had an eye on what it was doing. Now they are practically tossing it around and saying... "try it... you'll like it. "
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
  3. #3  
    I am not so sure. I have a strong feeling this July 1st date was chosen just last week because they are scrambling a great deal to polish the thing in crunch time. They will probably wait until the last possible moment to send out review units as well, with the latest polishing.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I am not so sure. I have a strong feeling this July 1st date was chosen just last week because they are scrambling a great deal to polish the thing in crunch time. They will probably wait until the last possible moment to send out review units as well, with the latest polishing.
    Considering they had a nearly finished product to show off in February, I think the reason it has a July 1st release date is entirely due to HP bureaucracy. I wouldn't be surprised if the thing was "ship ready" in early May and it took until now to get all the appropriate wheels in place.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Considering they had a nearly finished product to show off in February, I think the reason it has a July 1st release date is entirely due to HP bureaucracy. I wouldn't be surprised if the thing was "ship ready" in early May and it took until now to get all the appropriate wheels in place.
    That is a good point.
    Well I hope they come out soon!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6. #6  
    Leo has been very clear...it will ship when it is perfect! We all know nothing tech wise is perfect and everything gets updates at the last minute.

    Heck, I suspect there will be a bunch of Fedex packages going out closer to the end of the month. I also suspect all of the TP will include a Veer with ATT in tow just to show what makes webOS different from everything else. Sorli...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Considering they had a nearly finished product to show off in February
    Who said it was nearly finished then? Similarly to the original Pre, nobody was allowed to touch the Touchpad on February 9. And we all know that wasn't even 'nearly finished' when it was first released.
  8. #8  
    I think review units will be sent June 19th. As people mentioned they are still polishing webOS 3.0.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Considering they had a nearly finished product to show off in February, I think the reason it has a July 1st release date is entirely due to HP bureaucracy. I wouldn't be surprised if the thing was "ship ready" in early May and it took until now to get all the appropriate wheels in place.
    I don't think that makes any sense.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Considering they had a nearly finished product to show off in February, I think the reason it has a July 1st release date is entirely due to HP bureaucracy. I wouldn't be surprised if the thing was "ship ready" in early May and it took until now to get all the appropriate wheels in place.
    The TouchPad was no where near finished in February. If you watch the HP Discover Event video posted where Tim shows off the TouchPad, he says that the hardware is much different than it was back in February, and that it's gone through several iterations. He also indicates the TouchPad was on the "current week's" build of the OS.

    It's pretty obvious at this point that the TouchPad was essentially a barely functioning prototype in February, designed to pass a couple basic tests. Kinda like a 50/50 paint job. Looks good at 50ft or 50mph.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I don't think that makes any sense.
    Agreed!! In one of the newer videos of the TouchPad, the demostrator states that since Feb the touchpad has been through SEVERAL different hardware/software iterations. So I find it hard to believe that it's been finished for 2 months just waiting to get released...
  12. JJCook's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    #12  
    July 1 is also the start of a fiscal and calendar year quarter. Probably has stock implications.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I don't think that makes any sense.
    Why? You make a statement but then don't provide any reasons.


    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The TouchPad was no where near finished in February. If you watch the HP Discover Event video posted where Tim shows off the TouchPad, he says that the hardware is much different than it was back in February, and that it's gone through several iterations. He also indicates the TouchPad was on the "current week's" build of the OS.

    It's pretty obvious at this point that the TouchPad was essentially a barely functioning prototype in February, designed to pass a couple basic tests. Kinda like a 50/50 paint job. Looks good at 50ft or 50mph.
    The hardware was mostly finished. The OS still needed work. But the OS can be flashed on long after the device is manufactured. So HP could have already been manufacturing the TouchPads in February and only started flashing them once the OS was "finalized."

    My point is I just think the OS was finalized before May and it has taken this long to move all the other pices in place to prepare for a launch.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 06/14/2011 at 09:14 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    The hardware was finished.
    the hardware went through "several" hardware and software revisions since Feb. 9th as stated previously.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    the hardware went through "several" hardware and software revisions since Feb. 9th as stated previously.
    Must have been mostly internal modifications because visually, it looks the same.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Must have been mostly internal modifications because visually, it looks the same.
    probably.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Why? You make a statement but then don't provide any reasons.




    The hardware was mostly finished. The OS still needed work. But the OS can be flashed on long after the device is manufactured. So HP could have already been manufacturing the TouchPads in February and only started flashing them once the OS was "finalized."

    My point is I just think the OS was finalized before May and it has taken this long to move all the other pices in place to prepare for a launch.
    No. You're wrong. The hardware was no where near finished. This is directly from Tim Pettitt, one of HP's HARDWARE product managers. He clearly states the TouchPad he's using at the HP Discover Event is running on much different hardware (28:12 of the video linked), several iterations of hardware later than the February 9th hardware.

    Most of the facts about this device are now out so speculating isn't nearly as valuable any more.

Posting Permissions