1.    #1  
    In all of the Touchpad promotional videos I've seen so far, the Touch-to-Share feature is only ever shown sharing a web site between devices. Is this all the feature does?

If not, can someone elaborate on its capacities as they currently stand? I have seen the 'possibilities' thread but I'm more interested in what it can do now, outside of sharing web sites.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post
    In all of the Touchpad promotional videos I've seen so far, the Touch-to-Share feature is only ever shown sharing a web site between devices. Is this all the feature does?

If not, can someone elaborate on its capacities as they currently stand? I have seen the 'possibilities' thread but I'm more interested in what it can do now, outside of sharing web sites.

Thanks!
    Right now, what we know it does is work as a lightweight authentication method between devices (i.e. instead of digging through menu's to pair devices you just tap them together) for doing things like transferring calls/messaging to the TouchPad from a Pre/Veer and as a means of sharing a single URL between paired devices.

What this becomes is really going to be up to the developers who build apps using the service.
    In one video one could see, that the demonstrator launched the bluetooth app on the Touchpad, than tapped his phone against the Touchpad and the devices paired automatically.
    Hopefully it will have the same uses as NFC, share contacts, photos, join multiplayer games etc.

Im wondering how much data can get passed through the touch-to-share mechanism, and how quickly the transfer speed is. NFC can theoretically reach 424 kbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wshekyls View Post
    Hopefully it will have the same uses as NFC, share contacts, photos, join multiplayer games etc.

Im wondering how much data can get passed through the touch-to-share mechanism, and how quickly the transfer speed is. NFC can theoretically reach 424 kbps.
    as of now , touch to share isn't built to be a "sharing with others" NFC style, it's built to be a "sharing between a single users devices" , maybe TTS will evolve or possible die and HP will move to NFC, but sharing the things you mention are not the intention of TTS
    It seems TTS is more secured than NFC, specially in close proximity setups like in data-centers with enterprise-customers are the maximum buyers of TPs in mind.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Nah u can share between different users. they had a 40 min video and showing some tp stuff and that was brought up. plus the api will be released to developers so you will be able to share whatever developers want. the only thing i can think of that will limit TTS is copywritten materials. thats for all the lawyers to work out =\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    as of now , touch to share isn't built to be a "sharing with others" NFC style, it's built to be a "sharing between a single users devices" , maybe TTS will evolve or possible die and HP will move to NFC, but sharing the things you mention are not the intention of TTS
    At least one of the videos from HP specifically talks about pairing & sharing between devices that are not on the same profile. TTS is designed to be a tool that developers can use for a variety of functionality. The simple URL sharing demo is just the reference design HP is giving to show developers how the process works. It's going to be up to app developers to implement new behaviors beyond URL sharing.
    I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer photos between the Pre and the Touchpad. One thing I can see as being really useful is to take a picture on the Pre 3 and touch it against the touchpad to show off the picture. The question is whether or not the picture could be transferred through the TTS or whether it would be uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to the Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    Nah u can share between different users. they had a 40 min video and showing some tp stuff and that was brought up. plus the api will be released to developers so you will be able to share whatever developers want. the only thing i can think of that will limit TTS is copywritten materials. thats for all the lawyers to work out =\
    Currently per the HP website this is not true...

4. Pre3 and TouchPad must have same HP webOS account.
    5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    6. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

TouchPad | Tablet | HP
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Currently per the HP website this is not true...

4. Pre3 and TouchPad must have same HP webOS account.
    5. Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
    6. Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

TouchPad | Tablet | HP
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ofile-not.html

Opened this thread a day ago to talk about this... they seem to have contradicted themselves.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I just had a crazy thought. Does Touch-To-Share work between Pre3 and Veer? I mean, most people wouldn't use it and there isn't much use for it but there is no reason why it shouldn't, correct?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Damn you posting useful threads on the weekend when I wasn't really on a computer all weekend.

That would be awesome news, the wife and I will probably only get one TP when we get one (don't think we'd get enough use out of 2 with how many computers we have in the house). Only problem now would be what to do with the apps.... Guess I will worry about that when we see how TTS actually works.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I just had a crazy thought. Does Touch-To-Share work between Pre3 and Veer? I mean, most people wouldn't use it and there isn't much use for it but there is no reason why it shouldn't, correct?
    Even if it doesn't work, I am really hoping with all the extra BT they are building into these devices, we get BT file transfer ability (that works well). BT transfer on our Centro's was horrible from what I remember.

The other thought I had, this would probably have to be homebrew, but syncing saved app data with TTS. Like playing Angry Birds on my phone, then sit down to use the TP and transfer my saved game data (of course this is the fun use, but I could think of practical uses as well).
    I'm really looking forward to being able to transfer directions from google maps or gps or something from touchpad to phone. that would be useful.
    Someone should create a patch for email,TTS Reply to Phone. While viewing an email you can tap it to reply using your Veer or Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to being able to transfer directions from google maps or gps or something from touchpad to phone. that would be useful.
    I am hoping for something similar as well (especially when I leave Sprint and my free Sprint Nav ).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    Someone should create a patch for email,TTS Reply to Phone. While viewing an email you can tap it to reply using your Veer or Pre 3.
    Not sure why that is necessary, if your mail provider is IMAP based.

Throw away the card, it'll automatically be saved to the cloud. Open it from your drafts folder on your desktop/tablet.

In fact I use this trick to download photos instead of using USB.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here