1.    #1  
    I am aching to know what the specs are of the screen. I remember the document that leaked out back in January stated one of the goals was to have a 90 degree viewable area "like iPad".

My guess is it is not an IPS screen or they would be bragging about that by now.

What do we know about the screen? Did anyone at the Discovery event ask for details?

Thanks.
    Quoting from the hpshopping.com site:

Size: 9.7 inch Diagonal LED Backlit multi-touch display
    Resolution: XGA (1024 x 768)
    Viewing Angle: IPS wide-viewing-angle technology
    Material: Multi-touch glass display with a special coating for easier cleaning and abrasion resistance
  3.    #3  
    Interesting.

So when people keep posting the iPad2's screen being superior to TouchPad, what are they talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Interesting.

So when people keep posting the iPad2's screen being superior to TouchPad, what are they talking about?
    If its not iCrap it will always be inferior to certain "people"
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Interesting.

They are talking about how ill informed they themselves are. The iPad's screen isn't any kind of Retina screen. The TouchPad screen is practically identical to the iPad2's.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Some people are probably using the hpwebos site as their reference point for making claims that the iPad's screen is better. The issue there is that the hpwebos site isn't as detailed as shopping.hp.com is.

The proof I think is in the videos. In several videos the screen is at an angle to the camera and you can still see everything.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Interesting.

They're making an assumption that the iPad/iPad2 screen is IPS and backlit and the TouchPad is not. They're doing this because the hpwebos site doesn't list those as features.
    Touchpad's screen is 16-bit colors whereas the ipad2's is 24 bit colors.

the lower bit produces less colors but allows a faster screen refresh.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    The glass is also said to be Gorilla Glass in videos back in Feb 9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

18, but the 2 bits isn't going to make a huge difference. Do you know if a software update has improved the anti-aliasing of the ipad 2 screen? Early reports indicated it needed it, although I personally think the display looks pretty good.

I don't think there are going to be meaningful differences. Next to each other I think they will look the same. Although, I admit, LCDs look dull after so much time with my Super-AMOLED phone.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Amoled screens wash out severely in sunlight
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Amoled screens wash out severely in sunlight
    Samsung has, however, made some pretty big strides in that arena. They aren't as bad as they once were. And I have heard the Super AMOLED Plus is even better, although I don't have personal experience with it. The only place I have ever found I couldn't read my screen was on the beach in direct Florida sun, and who wants to look at their phone there? Note: My buddy couldn't read his Evo in that sun, either.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post

Just the opposite with sound....IPAD only giving us 16-bit to work with, TOuchpad at 24-bit. Not that it would matter to me since the Touchpad probably will not have any musician specific apps (Multitrack recorders, Sample players, etc....)
    would be nice if it did!

Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    Just the opposite with sound....IPAD only giving us 16-bit to work with, TOuchpad at 24-bit. Not that it would matter to me since the Touchpad probably will not have any musician specific apps (Multitrack recorders, Sample players, etc....)
    They showed the new EVO 3D with its Super Amoled screen on FOX at Sprint race and when the sunlight hit the screen, it washed out bad. I work out in the field and I can't have a screen that performs poorly in sunlight.