Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    A noob question probably: can I use an external harddrive (or usb memorystick) with the touchpad?
    Nobody has said anything about USB host, so I doubt it, but who knows.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    HP should really milk that USB port.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    do you know if the acer tablet has usb host mode? it has the large usb slot so hw wise it suggests that it does. i ask bc it will be next to the TouchPad at walmart,
    Last edited by Rkguy; 06/13/2011 at 08:13 PM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Yes the Acer has a usb host mode but that's off topic
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    If you want the touchpad to be able to see an external USB drive, I doubt that will happen with the device that is (apparently) arriving July 1st.

The question I have is if it's something that could be added to webOS 3.x in a future release, or if it would require internal chips or circuits to be able to do it. Does anyone know if there is sufficient hardware/silicon to make it possible? Or is it like the TTS coil that would have to be designed/built in to a next-generation model?

I'd love to have the feature, but the "cloudy" direction everyone is chasing tells me that won't be a priority for HP. That's why I'm hoping it's something that could be added by a homebrew effort.
    While I'm only a software guy I would find it really hard to believe that Master vs. Slave USB device is anything more than a software difference.
    usb host would be a huge differentiator from the competition. I really hope the suits worried about losing a couple bucks on bigger memory models and over priced accessories appreciate the value this functionality brings to the device.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Hopefully a helpfull developer reads this and can help us with the question of it being a software `problem´..?
    I am honestly praying that touch pad comes with susb host capabilities as every honeycomb tablet now has this. This and hdmi out may just kill the device for me.
    I am pretty sure USB functionality is a form of hardware and software related. Just as there was discussion of the potential for using the USB with a projector, etc.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Actually the possibility to connect devices to a phone/pad is a very interesting and important subject.

Look at all the nice stuff people can hook up to their proprietary connection on the devices we love to hate.

I'm pretty sure the extras sell more devices that sells more extras, that ...

A different approach to synergy than we're used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    While I'm only a software guy I would find it really hard to believe that Master vs. Slave USB device is anything more than a software difference.
    I think that you are right.

The USB On The Go (USB OTG) spec is the one we are talking about here.

The Xoom, Asus Transformer, Toshiba Thrive, Samsung Galaxy 10.1, and Acer Iconia have the same hardware specs and do USB OTG. You can connect USB memory drives, keyboards, etc. Here is the Xoom being controlled by a USB PS3 controller to play a game:

Using a PS3 controller with the Motorola Xoom | Android Central

I don't think it is possible to meet the current USB specs without having at least the hardware capability for USB OTG.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Yes the Acer has a usb host mode but that's off topic
    Apologies Major Payne, but I think it is on subject insomuch as someone at walmart looking at two tablets, one for $350 and one for $500 is going to say "well, the $350 one must not be as good".

Then he/she looks at the device and among a number of other comparisons (s)he will draw, one will be the available normal (and familiar) looking USB port on the side of the acer with a not as normal USB port on the touchpad. My kneejerk reaction was to think "wow, I can plug in my usb stick into this, or maybe my keyboard". My second reaction was to think "hey, maybe this isn't so bad afterall" and I think people may take the acer more than I want to believe. Anyway, I'll stop talking about this now but appreciate the opportunity to show my rationale for asking that here.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    IOW if it doesn't come with the Touchpad out of the box, it could be made possible through homebrew?
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
    IOW if it doesn't come with the Touchpad out of the box, it could be made possible through homebrew?
    Maybe if it is not one of the many locked APIs.

Apple announced 200 new features last week but just as important was the announcement that even more APIs will be opened.
    Well, my Transformer has 2 USB ports on docking station, which dubbled as keyboard. And the price with dock same as touch pad.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk