Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I can get a Touchpad for work use. I know zip about any tablets. My option is an iPad (which would doubtlessly make all my IT people very happy since that's what everyone else has). Here are some basic questions:
    1. How do you get picture, music, documents etc into a tablet, since apparently they don't connect to anything via a USB connection....or does the microUSB allow the tablet to serve as a hard drive like the Pre? Do you have to use something like Dropbox?
    2. Neither of these has a card slot, correct?
    3. Does the iPad have a video out capability? How can I show Powerpoint presentations on a projector using only the tablet?
    4. Don't really care about lots of game apps, or the number of apps, but what advantages does an iPad have over the Touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    So I can get a Touchpad for work use. I know zip about any tablets. My option is an iPad (which would doubtlessly make all my IT people very happy since that's what everyone else has). Here are some basic questions:
    1. How do you get picture, music, documents etc into a tablet, since apparently they don't connect to anything via a USB connection....or does the microUSB allow the tablet to serve as a hard drive like the Pre? Do you have to use something like Dropbox?
    2. Neither of these has a card slot, correct?
    3. Does the iPad have a video out capability? How can I show Powerpoint presentations on a projector using only the tablet?
    4. Don't really care about lots of game apps, or the number of apps, but what advantages does an iPad have over the Touchpad?
    1. Yes, micro usb will allow for it to be used as a flash drive, during one of the long demos, this is mentioned.
    2. Nope, neither has a card slot, have to go Android or Win7 for a tablet with that
    3. Ipad can use an A/V cable, so it has video out. As for the TouchPad, there are wifi and bluetooth projectors out there, but I can't imagine the quality is high, and there is no guarantee it would even work with the TP, as you'll need drivers. So, don't know how to do this, but as it is aimed at business, there should be a way. If you can wait a couple weeks, I would hold off to see (unless someone has seen something I have missed)
    4. Game apps, and number of apps, are going to be the big advantages, at least as far as I can see. Of course, I am biased, I dislike Apple. I guess there is also the fact that the iPad is tried and true, bugs have been ironed, and the TP is a new product. The iPad also has a very closed ecosystem, us tech guys hate that, but it makes life easier on people that don't know how to use a computer.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    1) The TouchPad allows you to use the device as a USB flash drive by simply plugging it into a computer and choosing 'USB Mode'. You can easily drag/drop photos, documents, music, movies, etc.. on the the device and it will recognize them and pull them into the appropriate application (ie: pictures showing up in the Photo app).
    You can also use the applications to sync to outside cloud sources like Photobucket, or Facebook to view pictures.

2) No SD slot
    3) Well, this isn't an iPad forum so you would be best looking for those answers on the TiPB.com website. I would hope that any tablet would allow some sort of video out, or the ability to hook up to a pico projector at least.
    4) iPad has more apps. That's about it. The TouchPad uses webOS and is simply a more intuitive OS to use. And since it is now owned by HP, you will see it growing in multiple directions very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    3) Well, this isn't an iPad forum so you would be best looking for those answers on the TiPB.com website. I would hope that any tablet would allow some sort of video out, or the ability to hook up to a pico projector at least.
    As would I...how is the TP allowing it?
    It isn't supporting it currently, but the first device is just about to hit the market. We will have to see what else HP has in store for the devices. They did say that they have a lot of plans in place for multimedia that they are holding close to the vest right now. Hopefully this would be one of those... but for now we don't know.
    It isn't supporting it currently, but the first device is just about to hit the market. We will have to see what else HP has in store for the devices. They did say that they have a lot of plans in place for multimedia that they are holding close to the vest right now. Hopefully this would be one of those... but for now we don't know.
    Fair enough, thought maybe you had caught something I had missed.
    I would love a Touchpad for the mobility and wireless printing plus all the other goodies. I am an attorney and wonder if the Touchpad is a serious work tool. Can I transfer client files to the touchpad from my computer? Can I use the touchpad for word processing, ie., drafting letters, briefs, motion papers and other pleadings. If I can, then sign me up! Inquiring minds want to know
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by llj69 View Post
    I would love a Touchpad for the mobility and wireless printing plus all the other goodies. I am an attorney and wonder if the Touchpad is a serious work tool. Can I transfer client files to the touchpad from my computer? Can I use the touchpad for word processing, ie., drafting letters, briefs, motion papers and other pleadings. If I can, then sign me up! Inquiring minds want to know
    Well, as was stated, you can connect the TP to your computer with a microusb cable and it will appear as a hard drive on your computer. You can move files back and forth (just like on the Pre devices). I gather that whether you can edit them or not out of the box depends on what software will come with it and it sounds like people aren't exactly sure about that yet. Will the software handle Excel and Word files? Is it included? Or will an upgrade be required?
    Well, as was stated, you can connect the TP to your computer with a microusb cable and it will appear as a hard drive on your computer. You can move files back and forth (just like on the Pre devices). I gather that whether you can edit them or not out of the box depends on what software will come with it and it sounds like people aren't exactly sure about that yet. Will the software handle Excel and Word files? Is it included? Or will an upgrade be required?
    From everything indicated, it should have Quickoffice. But you are right it might not be there right away at launch. Either way, you can edit google docs from it, so if you uploaded anything, you could edit them that way.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    General consensus (if there is such a thing) is that QuickOffice will be on the TP, but most likely view-only out of the gate, with an edit version a paid upgrade.

A major factor to me too.
    Quick Office is supposed to be ready at launch. Since anyone who could verify it is currently working would be under a tight NDA, who knows.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    General consensus (if there is such a thing) is that QuickOffice will be on the TP, but most likely view-only out of the gate, with an edit version a paid upgrade.

A major factor to me too.
    IIRC the TP version should be fully functional, the Pre3 version would be the paid upgrade. Maybe I just read that somewhere and not in an official statement, but I thought that's what was said in Feb.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    From everything indicated, it should have Quickoffice. But you are right it might not be there right away at launch. Either way, you can edit google docs from it, so if you uploaded anything, you could edit them that way.
    Does anyone know if it will access Dropbox?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Quick Office is supposed to be ready at launch. Since anyone who could verify it is currently working would be under a tight NDA, who knows.
    If you simply go to the QuickOffice website, you will see that they state the webOS devices come with QuickOffice Connect (viewer) and a full version will be available very soon for an upgrade. You can sign up on that site for notification when it is available and a discount on the upgrade.
    At least on android tablets quickoffice can be loaded from get go.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    At least on android tablets quickoffice can be loaded from get go.

Not sure what the point is... it comes already loaded on the TouchPad... from the get go.
    Not sure what the point is... it comes already loaded on the TouchPad... from the get go.
    He's trolling, also posted something similar in another thread.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    The HP website also says this if it matters to anyone:

"Get more done from the get-go."

"TouchPad tablet includes essential productivity apps right out of the box. Collaborate with colleagues using Google™ Docs or Box.net. Print wirelessly to compatible networked HP printers.8 And browse the full web at blazing speed with support for the latest web technologies, including a beta of Adobe Flash Player 10.3."
    The point is:
    I have an Evo (I do have pre+ too)
    I have bought full versions of Doc2go and QuickOffice for Evo, so, after I bought transformer, I loaded both of them on Transformer too. Can I do it with Touchpad? Can the Touchpad share app with the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    He's trolling, also posted something similar in another thread.
    P.S. I am not trolling. I am looking for better understanding of the Touchpad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast