Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #1  
    I currently have an iPad, however I am considering a touchpad.

    I guess it maybe too early to ask, but does anyone know how it handles pictures?

    Specific questions.

    1. Will it import & display RAW images from a connected camera over USB?
    2. How does it handle syncing pics from a Mac? The ipad only goes one folder deep, so if I have a skiing folder, then a sub directory under that with each ski trip sorted by date, the ipad lumps them all into the skiing album, which is a right PITA when browsing!

    cheers,

    Greg
    Last edited by kitenski; 06/13/2011 at 08:30 AM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
    I currently have an iPad, however I am considering a touchpad.

    I guess it maybe too early to ask, but does anyone know how it handles pictures?

    Specific questions.

    1. Will it import & display RAW images from a connected camera over USB?
    2. How does it handle syncing pics from a Mac? The ipad only goes one folder deep, so if I have a skiing folder, then a sub directory under that with each ski trip sorted by date, the ipad lumps them all into the skiing album, which is a right PITA when browsing!

    cheers,

    Greg
    I can not answer question number 1, I am not sure anyone can.

    As for 2, all other WebOS devices can plug into any computer and show up as a USB drive. You can then copy over files in any folder structure you wish and the photo app will read it. I am not sure the photo app album will present multiple 'levels' of folders in any special way though.
  3. #3  
    I haven't heard anything about it supporting USB host, for such tasks as connecting to a camera. I feel like if it supported it, they'd have announced it, but who knows.
  4. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #4  
    yeh I think I have come to the same conclusion, no USB Host, which means no Touchpad for me and will stick with iPad
  5. #5  
    The iPad has USB Host? First time I hear about that.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (not really, just an emulator)
    Newness Developments apps:

  6. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #6  
    Well I don't know what it's called, but I can plug my SLR into the iPad via a USB cable and have all the pics copied over to the iPad. Which I then hand to folk to look at pics.

    Have used it alot more than I thought I would!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
    Well I don't know what it's called, but I can plug my SLR into the iPad via a USB cable and have all the pics copied over to the iPad. Which I then hand to folk to look at pics.

    Have used it alot more than I thought I would!
    It sounds like the SLR software is doing something to facilitate it. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $way$ $to$ $dump$ $photos$ $into$ $ipad$ $directly$. $Apple$ $was$ $selling$ $an$ $accessory$ $with$ $an$ $SD$ $card$ $reader$ $to$ $make$ $things$ $easier$ $for$ $people$ ($and$ $to$ $make$ $more$ $money$ $of$ $course$ )

    Maybe you should try it with Touchpad too to see if it works before you buy it. Palm devices are more user friendly (as opposed to consumer friendly like Apple since they lock everything down for dumb consumers) so if it can work with ipad I am positive that Touchpad should be able to work as well.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It sounds like the SLR software is doing something to facilitate it. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $way$ $to$ $dump$ $photos$ $into$ $ipad$ $directly$. $Apple$ $was$ $selling$ $an$ $accessory$ $with$ $an$ $SD$ $card$ $reader$ $to$ $make$ $things$ $easier$ $for$ $people$ ($and$ $to$ $make$ $more$ $money$ $of$ $course$ )

    Maybe you should try it with Touchpad too to see if it works before you buy it. Palm devices are more user friendly (as opposed to consumer friendly like Apple since they lock everything down for dumb consumers) so if it can work with ipad I am positive that Touchpad should be able to work as well.
    The ipad connector is different.. Wouldn't work on a touchpad

    Proprietary connections & what have you

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The ipad connector is different.. Wouldn't work on a touchpad

    Proprietary connections & what have you

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I thought that with touchpad supporting industry standards i.e. micro-usb it will be easier to deal with than Apple's proprietary connector.
  10. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    It sounds like the SLR software is doing something to facilitate it. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $way$ $to$ $dump$ $photos$ $into$ $ipad$ $directly$. $Apple$ $was$ $selling$ $an$ $accessory$ $with$ $an$ $SD$ $card$ $reader$ $to$ $make$ $things$ $easier$ $for$ $people$ ($and$ $to$ $make$ $more$ $money$ $of$ $course$ )
    .
    Yes I am using that accessory, it's nothing to do with the SLR its the iPad & Camera Connector kit that make it work.

    I will be taking my camera and cable to a Touchpad as soon as I can
  11. #11  
    webOS in general (photos app) goes all the way into file folder structures. I've had folders that were 2 or 3 levels deep in my Photos folder (in the USB partition) show up in my photos app.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I thought that with touchpad supporting industry standards i.e. micro-usb it will be easier to deal with than Apple's proprietary connector.
    Just bc HP supports standards doesn't mean a connector made for apples proprietary connection would work with it

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  13. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #13  
    yes I just tried that on my Pre2, but it bought all the folders 'up' a level

    so skiing/april2011 and skiing/april2010 became top level folders april2011 and april2010.

    I also found I had to put them into the DCIM folder, is that correct?

    Think the comments re an iPad connector working on the Touchpad are a touch off topic, I never imagined an iPad connector would work, but I had and still hope the Touchpad can import pics from a connected camera....
  14. #14  
    to the OP, why are you syncing folders with the ipad if you are using a mac?

    Use iPhoto and it will work flawlessly. You can arrange however you want it and then sync it over to the iPad.

    This is one "advantage" of apple products over competition. their flawless integration with one another (which can also be the source of its disadvantages). I hope it changes when the webOS ecosystem is set by HP.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  15. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    to the OP, why are you syncing folders with the ipad if you are using a mac?.
    Because iPhoto is an appalling program!! I access photos from Windows machines and Macs and thus have the folder structure to work regardless of how the photos are accessed. The photos on the Mac get synced to a central Windows Home Server.

    iPhoto blows away any folder structure, and last time I looked creates duplicates all over the shop, and thus edits made in iPhoto can't be seen on the windows machines etc
  16. kitenski's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #16  
    It's an EOS 30D

    Yes I am sure I AM using an adapter.

    No there is no specialized app to import photos, it does it out of the box (with the adapter to link the cable to the camera!)
  17. #17  
    Sorry I deleted my post asking for the model/maker of the camera. I skipped your post where you answered that you were using the iPad camera adapter cable.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Just bc HP supports standards doesn't mean a connector made for apples proprietary connection would work with it

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think I wasn't clear. I was not talking about using the same cable /accessory with touchpad. Just a regular micro-usb to usb type cable to connect his SLR directly to touchpad and using internalz to move files. I was under the impression that usb host mode was supported on Touchpad (or coming soon afterwards).
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
    Because iPhoto is an appalling program!! I access photos from Windows machines and Macs and thus have the folder structure to work regardless of how the photos are accessed. The photos on the Mac get synced to a central Windows Home Server.

    iPhoto blows away any folder structure, and last time I looked creates duplicates all over the shop, and thus edits made in iPhoto can't be seen on the windows machines etc
    I understand your sentiment regarding iPhoto. I don't put all my pictures in the iPad. I use lightroom to organize my RAW files and only export to iPhoto what I want in the iPad.

    I am not sure if that will work for you.

    If you want everything to sync with your iPad then I am not sure if it even reads RAW files. There is probably an app for that.

    Now with the touchpad I am fairly confident that it will have the same file structure of the current webOS devices so it looks like you are in luck. But of course this is pure assumption on my part.

    Good luck!
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  20. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #20  
    I've also been wondering this. I do a lot of location and travel shoots and after seeing a bunch of TP demos, I'm wondering if I even need a laptop anymore.

    If I could get my images onto the Touchpad wirelessly (Perhaps if Eye-fi makes a touchpad app) or wired for a quick preview it would do 90% of the work I do on the road. Only thing missing would be the ability to burn dvds or transfer data to a USB flash drive.

    Now I'm considering the posibilty of selling my laptop for it. >_>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions