Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP's TouchPad lands July 1: Can it challenge Apple's iPad or claim No. 2 spot?
    By Larry Dignan | June 9, 2011, 6:55am PDT

HP's TouchPad lands July 1: Can it challenge Apple's iPad or claim No. 2 spot? | ZDNet

Hewlett-Packard said its Wi-Fi version of its TouchPad will be available in the U.S. July 1 and that latest challenger to Apple’s iPad should be interesting to watch.

First, the details. HP’s TouchPad will be available in the U.S. in a 16GB version for $499 and a 32GB version for $599. Those prices match Apple’s iPad and the going rate for tablets. HP will start preorders in North America and Europe June 19.

Globally, the U.K., Canada, Ireland, France and Germany will get the device in mid-July. Italy, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Singapore will get the TouchPad later this year.

With its global bases covered, HP will have the latest in a long line of so-called iPad killers. In a statement, HP touted its WebOS as a key differentiator and alternative. Indeed, the WebOS is sharp, but HP will need the app ecosystems. Related: HP brings WebOS to phones, TouchPad.

All things being equal though, HP’s TouchPad could give the iPad some competition. Here’s why.

Previous efforts to unseat the iPad have flopped. A parade of Android devices have hit the market and largely disappointed. Samsung’s 10-inch Galaxy Tab looks like the first suitable Android tablet. Research in Motion’s PlayBook may become an enterprise play, but so far hasn’t set retail channels ablaze.
    The inability of those tablet challengers to gain traction means that the door is wide open for the No. 2 slot in the tablet market. Why not the TouchPad? At some point a solid No. 2 will emerge.

HP has a retail footprint. HP is hard to beat in the retail shelfspace department. Stores including Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, Walmart, Sam’s Club, OfficeMax, Amazon.com, Fry’s and others will carry the TouchPad. That distribution is hard to match.

WebOS is appealing. For techies, HP does bring a unique OS to the tablet market. If HP can do interesting interactions via WebOS to its printers and PCs, there could be some mojo there.

HP has the enterprise heft to push the TouchPad to businesses.
    And finally, HP has the scale to lower the price bar on TouchPad should it gain traction initially.

That final point is the wild card. Many iPad rivals have flopped out of the gate early. HP’s mission will be to get some early momentum, keep it going and push into its home enterprise turf.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I don't think anyone will ever top apple in the tablet race. I do, however, think HP has a great shot at being #2. Honeycomb just isnt that great.
    Yes I also agree completely. Android tablets must leave something desired else they would have sold way more then what is being reported.

Sad truth though, so many people looking for something beside what iApple has to offer and come up short with Playbook, Android (flavor of the month), or many attempts at previous tablets (Windows XP Tablet Edition, Windows 7, etc).

Are these people now lost and no longer Touchpad buyers? Sorli...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    I don't think anyone will ever top apple in the tablet race. I do, however, think HP has a great shot at being #2. Honeycomb just isnt that great.
    Hi all,

Being number two is certainly a great accomplishment...one doesn't have to knock Apple off it's perch to be successful!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think HP can definitely take second place with their upcoming tab.

if they can continue to innovate, attract developers, offer more features in TP2, they may even have a shot at #1!
    No chance to challenge the iPad in the consumer market but they might make some serious inroads via the enterprise sector. Possibly a bigger competitor to Apple in that market than Android.

The sheer volume of Android hardware that will be available will make it difficult but it's a short term possibility. There hasn't been a Android tablet that is a smash success. The TP doesn't have to match iPad numbers to be a success but if it sells well(in the millions), then they have a chance because people will start to see webos as a viable alternative.

The bottomline for HP is if they can't beat the Playbook right out of the gate, then they will be in serious trouble. They have to establish themselves as a firm #3 consumer option and possibly #2 in enterprise before Windows 8 starts coming out on tablets. It's a very reachable short term goal.
    need to licence webos to have a chance at #1
    Good article. Although I had more fun reading the comments war between the apple fan-boy and the rest.

If HP can get some traction with TP1, then come out with sleeker, lighter TP2 (with hdmi out and SD slot (of which latter won't happen), then it might very well be in for a solid 2nd place. Ipad will remain 1st but we'll never know... just like how collective android sales surpassed the iphone last year.

The only reason why Galaxy Tab 10.1 is getting abuzz seems to me b/c of it's hardware and sexiness. In terms of user experience, it's still honeycomb... so how does that make it so special when compared to say xoom? Hopefully, the user experience of webOS will pull HP to a solid 2nd. Shoppers are not dumb. They do a lot of online reading and watch youtube reviews before buying their next gadget. If the reviewers can be impressed, then HP has a solid shot.
    Last edited by laoh; 06/13/2011 at 09:03 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    No chance to challenge the iPad in the consumer market but they might make some serious inroads via the enterprise sector. Possibly a bigger competitor to Apple in that market than Android.
    Hi,

I agree with you, b/c Apple has never really been big in the enterprise market and HP has. HP has marketing prowess in that field that most other firms could even dream about. Of course it helps that HP has products in ever field of computing from a netbook all they way up to servers that are the backbone of the internet, to blades, specialty areas such as medicine, the space program....

In fact Apple couldn't even use it's own computers to run the iCloud system, they had to spend billions to power their system with HP servers!

HP can use the sheer size of itself to make serious inroads. IE: they say to corporation XYZ if you buy TouchPads from us we will not only make sure the apps you need are ported to webOS, even if we have to create them ourselves, we will also give you a substantial price break on your order of servers...etc...

The fact that HP is #1 or #2 in so many fields gives it a leg up over Apple, Android & Playbook.

Take care,

Jay
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Good article. Although I had more fun reading the comments war between the apple ****** and the rest..
    Hi, I have to admit I had a chuckle over it myself...G-D forbid that we say something bad about Apple or fan boys & girls will have a cow, LOL!

Take care,
    '

jay
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadForce View Post
    Everyone thought that the iPhone would remain the number one king for all time... look were it is now. The iPhone is a great phone but it isn't the best for everyone any more. I think the same will be with the iPad. It will remain around the top of the tablet race but it will be out ran by one or two there tablets. Judging from Android bad start in the tablet race, I believe that the TouchPad and the iPad will remain the top 2 because they have the big company backing them and their great advantages as an OS. The PlayBook and HoneyComb are very similar because they are both kinda thrown together and did not succeed at launch.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Everyone thought that the iPhone would remain the number one king for all time... look were it is now. The iPhone is a great phone but it isn't the best for everyone any more. I think the same will be with the iPad. It will remain around the top of the tablet race but it will be out ran by one or two there tablets. Judging from Android bad start in the tablet race, I believe that the TouchPad and the iPad will remain the top 2 because they have the big company backing them and their great advantages as an OS. The PlayBook and HoneyComb are very similar because they are both kinda thrown together and did not succeed at launch.
    Hi all,

Jobs' INSISTENCE that the Iphone will NEVER have a keyboard is exactly why I don't want one an Iphone:

1. I HATE typing on glass, perhpas it's my disability but it bothers my fingers soemthing alwful.

2. The fact Jobs' insists on cetrain things bothers the heck out of me....

a. His refusal to have a removable battery on the Iphone & Ipad, regardless what people

or

b. His refusing to use Flash......

IMHO: To a certain degree my points in 2a & 2b. are tied together...since he refuses to allow a removable battery he doesn't want Flash since Flash is power hungry. However, it has become much more about what Jobs' wants then what the public wants...he is telling us what we need instead of us telling him what we want & need.

For what ever my opinion is worth, (perhaps not much), frankly I find that attitude arrogant and condescending.

take care,

Jay

a
    I just hope they push each other equally so HP doesn't bail on it's webOS desires.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I don't think #2 position is a walk in a park by any means...

300,000 units for June after 400,000 for April and May... and @ $399 for 16gb.

ASUS to ship 300,000 Eee Pad Transformers in June, surpass all non-iPad tablet sales -- Engadget

Interesting though... It's shaping up to be a three horse race.
    Considering Apple has like 80%+ of the tablet market #2 doesn't really seem out of reach. Number two is a pretty distant second at this point in the game. So it could be doable. I think the thinner Galaxy 10.1 could be stiff competition. It's nice hardware. I'm not fond of the android OS on tablets. No android hate here. i actually like it on phones. it just came off like xp on a tablet and felt cluttered.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Considering Apple has like 80%+ of the tablet market #2 doesn't really seem out of reach. Number two is a pretty distant second at this point in the game. So it could be doable. I think the thinner Galaxy 10.1 could be stiff competition. It's nice hardware. I'm not fond of the android OS on tablets. No android hate here. i actually like it on phones. it just came off like xp on a tablet and felt cluttered.
    Hi all,

I agree and disagree with your comments...yes Apple has 80% of the market, but HP is going places where Apple can't...

For example....HP's worldwide sales reps in every division will be using TouchPads....I read quite a while ago, but I think that is over 200,000 staffers who will be using the TouchPad....

Keep in mind that those sales staff, (I mean sales staff for servers, healthcare systems, blades, .....(IE: when my Mom was recently in the hospital I noticed that the sensors for her heart rate, BP, 02, etc..all fit into a small unit made by HP. That in turn is hooked up to a HP server that also controls the laptop computers that are in a locked fold out desk in each room for the staff to keep medical records, also made by HP...each room has one, each room's computer ties into a hospital wide server that is also made by HP.

X-rays, Cat scans, PET scans which are now digital instead of on film, as well as other diagnostic tests... are all stored on computer in our local hospital also made by HP..... Someone has to sell these units to hospitals...HHS, (Health & Human Services) is requiring that CMM (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid) to put all medical records on computer....

I didn't think to ask until a week or so ago, of my and my Mom's various Drs. who makes the servers that they keep their records on so far:

HP 3
    other firms "0".
    I will try to remember to ask at our other Drs.

Apple had to hold it's nose and order HP equipment to run it's "cloud" service, b/c Apple doesn't make anything nearly powerful to do so. Now keep in mind that so many other firms are setting up or have set up cloud service, (HP..who unlike Apple will be able to use it's own equipment to run it's cloud service, Amazon...I assume there will be cloud service set up by AT&T, V & Sprint...and many other firms....)

HP has tentacles in every aspect of computing...each of these divisions has sales staff...these staff will be using TouchPads...each will say to their clients "...if you order TouchPads, we will make you a deal on your server, or or your office computer network....etc...".

I assume this will also be done with HP smartphones....

This is something Apple will have a very difficult time doing, b/c Apple's computers are powerful enough to run a hospital that has hundreds if not thousands of beds. Therefore Apple isn't in a position to leverage it's other products to have them use iOS products.....

This puts HP in a market that other Pad or tablet computers aren't in....this gives HP a leg up in a huge market that due to HP's size and the fact that they as I stated before make computers in all sizes, computing ability and prices.....

Now if HP is able to leverage it's clients into using TouchPads....that will require HP and/or other firms to start writing Apps and a great deal of Apps....that will help HP on the consumer side...

I also read that HP has a huge chunk of the server business, the Internet will keep growing as more people use wireless services, Facebook & Precentral....This again puts HP in constant contact with Silicone Valley upstarts that will need to buy server equipment and hopefully from HP!

Well I hope my rosy outlook wears off on everyone else, especially the people HP will try to entice them into using & buying the TouchPad!

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post

This is something Apple will have a very difficult time doing, b/c Apple's computers are powerful enough to run a hospital that has hundreds if not thousands of beds. Therefore Apple isn't in a position to leverage it's other products to have them use iOS products.....
    Can you clarify what you mean by this?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by this?
    Personally, I'd assume it's a typo where "are" should be "aren't" especially considering the context of the rest of the post surrounding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Personally, I'd assume it's a typo where "are" should be "aren't" especially considering the context of the rest of the post surrounding it.
    Yeah, I figured that. I'm just wondering why he thinks Apple's computers are so underpowered (as I'm typing on an 8-core Mac Pro).
    Hi all,

I agree and disagree with your comments...

take care,

Jay
    you're entitled to your opinion.

having you're own employees use your tablets are not sales. And There are already plenty of medical diagnostic apps for ipads. As far as i know there aren't any for touchpad yet so Medical apps solutions are far from somewhere HP is leading right now. Apple isn't trying to leverage it's laptops so it can get ipads into hospitals. The ipads are already in hospitals, newsrooms, offices regardless of who makes their PCs or servers. Making PCs doesn't mean they are successful in tablets and HP's PC and laptop sales have been declining in the last several quarters anyways, even if they had an advantage it's declining.

take care,

Snot
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast