Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If dogfooding counted as sales, we'd all be at the mercy of Nokia's 7,000,000 Symbian UX employees.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Personally, I'd assume it's a typo where "are" should be "aren't" especially considering the context of the rest of the post surrounding it.
    Hi so sorry my typing is bad on a good day and on pain scale from one to ten today is an 11 so my concentration isn't what it should be! Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    you're entitled to your opinion.

having you're own employees use your tablets are not sales. And There are already plenty of medical diagnostic apps for ipads. As far as i know there aren't any for touchpad yet so Medical apps solutions are far from somewhere HP is leading right now. Apple isn't trying to leverage it's laptops so it can get ipads into hospitals. The ipads are already in hospitals, newsrooms, offices regardless of who makes their PCs or servers. Making PCs doesn't mean they are successful in tablets and HP's PC and laptop sales have been declining in the last several quarters anyways, even if they had an advantage it's declining.

take care,

Snot
    Hi, I am not counting them as sales...I am counting them as leverage.,..BIG difference! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  4.    #24  
    you're entitled to your opinion.

having you're own employees use your tablets are not sales. And There are already plenty of medical diagnostic apps for ipads. As far as i know there aren't any for touchpad yet so Medical apps solutions are far from somewhere HP is leading right now. Apple isn't trying to leverage it's laptops so it can get ipads into hospitals. The ipads are already in hospitals, newsrooms, offices regardless of who makes their PCs or servers. Making PCs doesn't mean they are successful in tablets and HP's PC and laptop sales have been declining in the last several quarters anyways, even if they had an advantage it's declining.

take care,

Snot
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, I figured that. I'm just wondering why he thinks Apple's computers are so underpowered (as I'm typing on an 8-core Mac Pro).
    Hi,

If Apple makes such powerful computers, how come Apple had to BUY HP servers to run it's cloud...they in stead bought HP severs...I am sure Apple would have loved to use their own computers to run the could but cannot.

APPLE makes GREAT computers, as does DELL....however they aren't big & powerful enough to run server farms.....otherwise Apple would have used it's own computers to run Icloud......

True Apple's are used in hospitals...however once again Apple doesn't make servers, therefore HP has an advantage that Dell & Apple don't have....if and that's a big if that advantage can be exploited...HP will have a leg up over other Pad manufacturers other than Apple...to a lesser degree HP has some advantage over Apple.

With all the success of Apple with Ipods, Iphones & Ipads Apple is still far smaller in other areas of computing.....

I don't have a dislike of Apple's products...my Fiancée owns an Ipod, as does her son. He and my nephew both have Apple laptops....my two complaints with Apple is how they run the office end of the business & that Jobs' is sometimes too stubborn for his own good.......I have found their laptops extremely easy to use....

But they aren't nearly powerful to be a server!

BTW I'm not saying this will work for HP, I am however saying HP has a potential advantage that other firms don't let's see if it works!

Take care,

Jay

PS: People I will say it again, I am disabled....I'm not sorry about it...I have had 18 years to get used to it and get beyond it....my disability effects my hands and fingers. so my typing is not perfect...so sorry about that! I'm trying to do my best!

take care,

jay
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, I figured that. I'm just wondering why he thinks Apple's computers are so underpowered (as I'm typing on an 8-core Mac Pro).
    8 core? I just looked at Apple website & didn't see that on the MacBook Pro. here is their top of the line from their website:
    ----------------------------------------
    Hardware

Processor

Enjoy incredible performance from the 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, which features four processor cores on a single chip. Choose the speed you want.

Learn more

The Intel Core Core i7 processors are based on new 32-nanometer process technology with an advanced Core microarchitecture that features an integrated memory controller and Level 3 cache, giving the MacBook Pro faster, more direct access to memory. In addition, these processors feature:

Turbo Boost 2.0 - a dynamic performance technology that automatically boosts the processor clock speed based on workload, giving you extra processing power when you need it.
    HyperThreading - a technology that allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. So a quad-core MacBook Pro has eight virtual cores, all of which are recognized by Mac OS X. This enables the processor to deliver faster performance by spreading tasks more evenly across a greater number of cores.
    You can upgrade the processor in your MacBook Pro to the 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, featuring 8MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.40GHz.

2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 [Add $230.00]
    -----------------------------------
    Even the iMac (desktop) only has an option of quad core processors as far as I can tell.
    Macintosh computers use the same CPUs as Intel based PC's these days. About the only thing that makes "Macs" different than "PCs" is the operating system.

Mac Pros (not Macbook Pros), can run up to 12 cores, but they're using Intel Xeon processors.

Apple - Mac Pro - Now featuring up to 12 cores of processing power
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, I am not counting them as sales...I am counting them as leverage.,..BIG difference! Take care, Jay
    you don't become number two in sales by giving them to yourselves. You do it by selling to consumers. It's no leverage on the market to hand them out to your own employees. It doesn't effect sales. I'm sure People all over microsoft had Zunes and have windows phone 7 phones but It's not translating in android tablets denting apple's phone lead. i'm sure there are android tablets all over google yet, that fact alone, hasn't translated into blockbuster android tablet sales. I'd Bet RIMM has tons of employees with playbooks. Not only that they've got even more people already with RIMM phones that work for RIMM. Sales of playbooks still suck. That fact, giving them to employees, doesn't translate into the ability to make people buy their Playbooks. Count it as leverage if you want. It doesn't make people adopt a platform. It hasn't in other cases either.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Hi,

If Apple makes such powerful computers, how come Apple had to BUY HP servers to run it's cloud...they in stead bought HP severs...I am sure Apple would have loved to use their own computers to run the could but cannot.

APPLE makes GREAT computers, as does DELL....however they aren't big & powerful enough to run server farms.....otherwise Apple would have used it's own computers to run Icloud......

True Apple's are used in hospitals...however once again Apple doesn't make servers, therefore HP has an advantage that Dell & Apple don't have....if and that's a big if that advantage can be exploited...HP will have a leg up over other Pad manufacturers other than Apple...to a lesser degree HP has some advantage over Apple.

With all the success of Apple with Ipods, Iphones & Ipads Apple is still far smaller in other areas of computing.....

I don't have a dislike of Apple's products...my Fiancée owns an Ipod, as does her son. He and my nephew both have Apple laptops....my two complaints with Apple is how they run the office end of the business & that Jobs' is sometimes too stubborn for his own good.......I have found their laptops extremely easy to use....

But they aren't nearly powerful to be a server!

BTW I'm not saying this will work for HP, I am however saying HP has a potential advantage that other firms don't let's see if it works!

Take care,

Jay

PS: People I will say it again, I am disabled....I'm not sorry about it...I have had 18 years to get used to it and get beyond it....my disability effects my hands and fingers. so my typing is not perfect...so sorry about that! I'm trying to do my best!

take care,

jay
    most of your response i don't think is relevant. that response is kinda all over since i didnt' mention power the other guy did but whatever.

having servers in no way means you'll use a tablet for the same hardware maker. Its not like the ipads can't access data on those if they need to. No idea why apple used HP servers. Call apple and ask. Most likely cause Apple doesn't make the same capacity of needed servers, nor are they a major player in that market. I don't recall apple making datafarms as a business. HP does. And if it's cheaper to buy then to build a solution you buy it. simple as that. But as of now there are no medical apps that i know of that work on touchpads so there's no reason other then you have hp servers in a room. Wishful at best especially when another platform works just fine with your servers and is already in use. Having a certain brand of server or desktop doesn't remotely mean people adopt the same kind of tablet.
  9.    #29  
    Hi all

Thank you however. your missing my point...they are laptop or desktop computers...they are NOT servers....Apple doesn't make ANY computer powerful enough to be SERVER! That is why Apple had to buy HP servers to run the Icloud.

Since Apple doesn't sell as many different kinds of computers they don't have the market reach to all aspects of computing HP does...my point is and was HP SHOULD BE in a better position to be able to leverage their marketing prowess in areas that Apple doesn't compete, (for that matter most computer companies don't have the marketing breadth that HP does simple because HP is a full line computer company.

No matter how powerful or easy Apple computers are to use, Apple isn't in the same position to try to leverage all of their corporate clients in a way that HP can. That's b/c Apple line overlaps HP in computer ability for a very few products.

I must stress again and again to all you Apple lovers...it isn't a negatitive reflection on Apple....it is a fact that Apple doesn't make servers, Apple doesn't make blade appliances...

If Apple made anything close enough to handle the needs of a server they would have made do with their own line of computers in their own cloud system...they turned to HP, b/c HP makes a line that Apple doesn't.

Also someone stated earlier that Apple computers are found in Hospitals...I'm sure they are...

What I'm saying is that the unifying computer in hospitals today are servers...a computer that can play host to hundreds of computers entering data, opening files and storing huge digital images.....

Just an example, I recently had to have my semi annual MRI's for my neck....My first MRI's 23 years ago were film. You can only see so much, you can only enlarge the film so much...now enter digital MRI's in order to fully see what is going on with the incomplete fusion in my neck, they were able to enlarge the left edge of my c6-7 vertebra to cover an entire 42" monitor....they were able to take video of my flexation and extension of my neck and then using my MRI's cause the MRI images to be animated and match the movements of my neck, to see how the damaged portion of the fusion in impacting the nerves of my scapular muscles.

They were able to use the computer to manipulate the moving images of animation to look at it from the angle of the vertebra is a tunnel and as if you were looking at the tunnel from the inside out.

These images were viewed not just by my Dr. in his office, but the head of radiology was on the phone looking at the same images at the same time my Cranial Base Surgeon was in different areas of the hospital at the same time.....

Can an Apple do that kind of work, more than likely...can an Apple computer do this and all the other work a hospital needs while being able to collect data and have data being able to be retrieved by perhaps dozens of people terminals at a time...no apple isn't a server company....

Therefore if HP plays it's card correctly HP has an area to exploit that Apple has very little presence in....HP can also as I stated above can sweeten the pot to corporate users in a way Apple can't ...Apple can't say to Amazon if you buy our servers for your cloud, we will give you a great deal on Ipads and make sure apps are written for your exact needs....b/c Apple doesn't make servers & HP can, (I can't make it any plainer than that)!

take care,

Jay
    I think Jay makes a good point. Do hospitals need TPs to run with HP servers? No. Can HP use the leverage that comes with supplying the hospital with servers and work computers to use TPs on their network? Yes. HP can offer a good discount on TPs for buisnesses like a hospital because they are already making a lot of money with existing contracts. Apple doesn't have that option. Apple's only advantage is in the software which HP can easily negate either by developing it themselves or contracting outside developers to do that.

I think HP is counting on business sales over everything. Yes they will push for consumer sales but they know there is a lot of money to be made in the unglamourous world of enterprise. The part of the market that blogs like Engadget and TIMN tend to ignore when covering the tech world.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I think Jay makes a good point. Do hospitals need TPs to run with HP servers? No. Can HP use the leverage that comes with supplying the hospital with servers and work computers to use TPs on their network? Yes. HP can offer a good discount on TPs for buisnesses like a hospital because they are already making a lot of money with existing contracts. Apple doesn't have that option. Apple's only advantage is in the software which HP can easily negate either by developing it themselves or contracting outside developers to do that.

I think HP is counting on business sales over everything. Yes they will push for consumer sales but they know there is a lot of money to be made in the unglamourous world of enterprise. The part of the market that blogs like Engadget and TIMN tend to ignore when covering the tech world.
    I agree (and by extension, with Jay too). HP will use it's leverage in the corporate world to push Touchpad sales. Everybody examines the corporate market separately from the consumer market, forgetting that in that corporate market are regular people like you and me.
    Once Touchpad gains traction in the corporate market, those same people are going to be the ones that help the consumer market grow.
    By no means am I saying what marketing strategy HP should use targeting both markets. I'm just agreeing with Jay that the advantage is with HP because of their current corporate leverage.
    NNJ
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I agree (and by extension, with Jay too). HP will use it's leverage in the corporate world to push Touchpad sales. Everybody examines the corporate market separately from the consumer market, forgetting that in that corporate market are regular people like you and me.
    Once Touchpad gains traction in the corporate market, those same people are going to be the ones that help the consumer market grow.
    By no means am I saying what marketing strategy HP should use targeting both markets. I'm just agreeing with Jay that the advantage is with HP because of their current corporate leverage.
    Hi all,

Thank you to both of you....

Take care,

Jay
    Honestly, I'm pretty proud of them if they lock the #3 spot.
    A bronze medal is still huge for the short time since they acquired palm.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Hi all,

If they do so, it will truly be an accomplishment when you consider they arrived at the party after everyone else! HP doesn't have to beat Apple to be a success with webOS!

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Remember - the long haul. The race is not for the swift...but the sure.
    NNJ
    Hi all,

If they do so, it will truly be an accomplishment when you consider they arrived at the party after everyone else! HP doesn't have to beat Apple to be a success with webOS!

Take care,

Jay
    HP is arriving 'fashionably late'.
    Hi all

Thank you however. your missing my point...they are laptop or desktop computers...they are NOT servers....Apple doesn't make ANY computer powerful enough to be SERVER! That is why Apple had to buy HP servers to run the Icloud.
    you don't get the point. This is about touchpads and tablets not some apple computer vs hp computer fight. It's about can touchpads interfacing with servers where information is stored. Not whether apple can make a server. You think they'll just buy touchpads case they bought laptops. I just disagree. The medical records are typically stored on servers not individual desktops and laptops and if you need to access records the brand of computer matters not. If you need to monitor diagnostics that's dependent on the software running not on the make of the machine. the same way sharepoint runs on any any windows machine but you can access the sharepoint info from many platforms including mac os. It's a software issue. And HP currently doesn't have software running all this medical stuff but right now apple does and in many places it's already in use. But It's absurd to think that ipads can't interface with linux or windows servers holding remote data. And individual desktop is a tool for interfacing with windows (typically) or linux software not HP software. That medical diagnostic program isn't dependant on HP it's dependant on windows. Any tablet that can access the server can access the records or software running the diagnostics. And ipads can access the info. maybe someday hp will have apps that do medical stuff. But right now in don't know of any.

but if you have links to touchpad medical apps i'd love to see them. Because right now if you want to monitor patient heart rates on a touchpad i know of no software that does it. but again if you have the apps i'd love to know about them.

i'll give you an example. MIM Software makes radiology software for medical offices. http://www.mimsoftware.com/ It runs on windows machines and on macs. http://www.mimsoftware.com/support/downloads And they also have an ipad and iphone apps for remote use. http://www.mimsoftware.com/products/mobilemim The maker of the computer hardware isn't a factor. So today a doctor can use an ipad to use the software. Even if the software is run on am hp, samsung, lenova or whatever windows machine. The issue for touchpad is there is no touchpad app. And if there is no touchpad app you can't use their software. you can still use all the hp desktops you want. But until MIM makes a touchpad app there is only one tablet that can remotely interface with mim software. That is the issue. That is why the maker of the desktop hardware is not nearly as important as if the platform actually has the software to do the job. Because as of today, there is not software on the touchpad. The hospital would be buying a touchpad to just play angrybirds.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/14/2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    you don't get the point. This is about touchpads and tablets not some apple computer vs hp computer fight. It's about can touchpads interfacing with servers where information is stored. Not whether apple can make a server. You think they'll just buy touchpads case they bought laptops. I just disagree. The medical records are typically stored on servers not individual desktops and laptops and if you need to access records the brand of computer matters not. If you need to monitor diagnostics that's dependent on the software running not on the make of the machine. the same way sharepoint runs on any any windows machine but you can access the sharepoint info from many platforms including mac os. It's a software issue. And HP currently doesn't have software running all this medical stuff but right now apple does and in many places it's already in use. But It's absurd to think that ipads can't interface with linux or windows servers holding remote data. And individual desktop is a tool for interfacing with windows (typically) or linux software not HP software. That medical diagnostic program isn't dependant on HP it's dependant on windows. Any tablet that can access the server can access the records or software running the diagnostics. And ipads can access the info. maybe someday hp will have apps that do medical stuff. But right now in don't know of any.

but if you have links to touchpad medical apps i'd love to see them. Because right now if you want to monitor patient heart rates on a touchpad i know of no software that does it. but again if you have the apps i'd love to know about them.

i'll give you an example. MIM Software makes radiology software for medical offices. MIM Software - Medical Imaging Software It runs on windows machines and on macs. MIM Software - Downloads And they also have an ipad and iphone apps for remote use. MIM Software - Mobile MIM for the iPad & iPhone The maker of the computer hardware isn't a factor. So today a doctor can use an ipad to use the software. Even if the software is run on am hp, samsung, lenova or whatever windows machine. The issue for touchpad is there is no touchpad app. And if there is no touchpad app you can't use their software. you can still use all the hp desktops you want. But until MIM makes a touchpad app there is only one tablet that can remotely interface with mim software. That is the issue. That is why the maker of the desktop hardware is not nearly as important as if the platform actually has the software to do the job. Because as of today, there is not software on the touchpad. The hospital would be buying a touchpad to just play angrybirds.
    Oh give it a rest, won't you? This is not about what the iPad can do, and how many medical apps the iPad has, and whether or not the iPad can access the existing HP servers in corporations.
    Once again, the point was laid out that lots (maybe majority?) of corporations are using HP servers already. And that may be the leverage HP needs to challenge the iPad or claim No. 2 spot.
    Besides, those medical corporations probably have their own apps they use, and with HP marketing Citrix as a main selling point, it will make it easier for them to purchase the Touchpads vs. iPad.
    NNJ
    I don't think there's any particular magic the TouchPad inherently has when it comes to integrating with servers. Clients still have to be written regardless of whether the back end runs HP hardware or not.
  20.    #40  
    Good day all,

I NEVER said that the TouchPad would be able to access servers....all is stated was that HP has a leg up over Apple for their server clients...Apple doesn't make servers and HP does.....Apple therefore doesn't have the same relationship with corporate clients that such as hospitals as HP does....HP can leverage it's relationships with these corporations and try to get them to start using TouchPads, as they make deals for new servers and existing server contracts....PERIOD!

Yes to all you wounded and insulted Apple fans...but one again Apple computers as wonderful as they are...aren't capable of being servers...so Apple doesn't have the corporate contacts and leverage that HP has.

I also noted several times, just b/c HP has these relationships doesn't mean they can turn them into sales....

As a side comment to SnotBoogie that I should contact Apple and ask them why they choose HP servers for the cloud...

1. The certainly can't use Apple's servers since Apple doesn't make them

2. The last time I tried to get a question answered from Apple about adapting an Ipod to play a proprietary format from the Library of Congress' nation Library for the Blind & Disabled... well that took over 2 dozen faxes (on my part) and a years worth of work on my part...Apple told me directly they don't respond to customers letters directly if a product could be adapted....I doubt the would answer me, (I would imagine that would fall under information that would not be open the the public) and frankly I have way too much to do to care!

3. the fact that they couldn't use their own computers to run the cloud answers my point...they don't make them therefore they don't have the same relationship with clients as HP does...period!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast