Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A lot of people seem confused, if you had an HP sales rep tell you that the TouchPad won't be in stores until the 5th, they are not correct. In fact, if the TouchPad WERE leaving HP on the 1st to go to retailers, like some of you have been told, and some choose to believe, and therefore, according to sales reps, will be in retail stores on the 5th, such a statement should have raised a red flag. Different stores have different methods of distribution, HP absolutely will not be shipping directly to retail stores, so if the TP shipments left the HP warehouse on July 1, HP sales reps could not possibly know when it would hit store shelves, so them giving you a firm date, based on an HP ship date 4 days earlier, to hit store shelves belies a complete lack of understanding of supply chains, and you should automatically know what they are telling you is not correct.

I have posted this elsewhere, but people seem to have missed it, so, I emailed the contact on the bottom of the press release:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Can you confirm that the touchpad will be available in retail stores on July 1. Many of your sales reps have told precentral.net users that it ships from you July 1, and therefore will not be in stores that day, but only after the holiday weekend. If this is incorrect, HP needs to very quickly remedy this, correcting the sales reps, to avoid angry customers. If this is correct, HP needs to issue a clarifying press release, because it isn't what most would assume reading the release. Another member already emailed you with this question, and your response was a tad cryptic, hoping you can shed some light on the topic to end a growing debate among the biggest fans of WebOS.

Thank you for your time,
    ~Reggie
    And I got this email in response:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Letts
    The press release says it will be available from U.S. retailers on July 1. You will be able to walk into any of the stores listed on July 1 and purchase it. If you pre-order it from hp.com/touchpad beginning June 19, then it will ship for delivery on July 1.
    That is all.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Hopefully this clears it up for some people. As I said in one of the threads, it would be colossally stupid for HP to ship pre-orders on July 1 if the TP is on retail shelves July 1. I personally thought the press release was pretty standard for retail availability being on the date mentioned.

Glad you got such a direct response from the rep.
    Now the only big question I have is about Amazon. Their no-tax (for me) discount will win out as my retailer of choice, but only if I can get it from them on the 1st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Now the only big question I have is about Amazon. Their no-tax (for me) discount will win out as my retailer of choice, but only if I can get it from them on the 1st.
    Think i'll get mine at BestBuy. 18 months no interest and reward zone points make up for tax i guess. Plus 2 weeks return policy, no restocking fee just in case it doesn't satiate my tech lust.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I would assume that's correct. My rep told me the 5th, but in that thread I think we pretty much concluded he was telling me that so he could try and get a sale out of me.

I'm sure we'll find out for sure as we get closer to the 1st though. What's the countdown timer at right now?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I would assume that's correct. My rep told me the 5th, but in that thread I think we pretty much concluded he was telling me that so he could try and get a sale out of me.

I'm sure we'll find out for sure as we get closer to the 1st though. What's the countdown timer at right now?
    Yup. Sales people are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Think i'll get mine at BestBuy. 18 months no interest and reward zone points make up for tax i guess. Plus 2 weeks return policy, no restocking fee just in case it doesn't satiate my tech lust.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. Get those RZ points.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/14/2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: removed spammer comment
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post

Countdown to Jul 1, 2011 in Washington DC

Countdown to Jul 1, 2011 in Chicago

Countdown to Jul 1, 2011 in Denver

Countdown to Jul 1, 2011 in Los Angeles

Countdown to Jul 1, 2011 in Anchorage

Countdown to Jul 1, 2011 in Honolulu
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I was in my local BB today (Northlake Atlanta). Great setup/display table, plus a second space reserved for a second Touchpad along a row of tablets. The seemingly not really well informed person in the computer section predicted BB would not have them available for retail until mid-July. She said usually 2 weeks after launch. As I said I didn't really find her very compelling, but fwiw...
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    I was in my local BB today (Northlake Atlanta). Great setup/display table, plus a second space reserved for a second Touchpad along a row of tablets. The seemingly not really well informed person in the computer section predicted BB would not have them available for retail until mid-July. She said usually 2 weeks after launch. As I said I didn't really find her very compelling, but fwiw...
    I went into both a Micro Center and Fryís. They both told me official launch dates mean nothing due to when they receive shipments of product to their stores. Some official retailers in my area (Atlanta) did not even have iPad 2's in stock for weeks after official launch date.

From what I gather from the rep and the statements above, I can only assume that HP will be shipping product well before official launch date to insure stores have product day one.
    I received another confirmation from an HP sales rep that the units will not ship from HP until July 1st. I replied and politely told him "Thanks, but no thanks. But feel free to contact me if the units will ship to arrive on the 1st, otherwise, I'll go buy my TouchPad, Touchstone and case at a local retailer." I'm not expecting a reply.
    That would be true if this was a political scandal that they want to bury, but putting it up on a holiday weekend is a smart move from a retail sales perspective...

HP's marketing firm has been hiring reps to stand at the Best Buy tables specifically to show off the new product.

The glass is half full.
    Arrrg! I just got a call from Kiley Schmeir a "Dedicated SMB Account Manager" at HP telling me I could pre-order on the 19. I said no thank you, I will be getting it locally so I can have it sooner. She said that for the first 3 and 1/2 weeks HP would be the only ones who have it, "Palm has released it to only them". She said they would ship on June 30th and would upgrade to overnight shipping so I would have it on the 1st.

...I wish they would get their stories straight!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Hard for me to believe Best Buy would put up a table on June 13 just to host a cardboard cutout for a month. Or at least so I hope.

(Yes I know the Veer is on there too, but at least in my store they also have the Veer in their phone section and the computer rep said she knows nothing about the Veer and suggested I go over there if I have questions.)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I went into both a Micro Center and Fryís. They both told me official launch dates mean nothing due to when they receive shipments of product to their stores. Some official retailers in my area (Atlanta) did not even have iPad 2's in stock for weeks after official launch date.

From what I gather from the rep and the statements above, I can only assume that HP will be shipping product well before official launch date to insure stores have product day one.
    While particular BBs (read: smaller markets) might not get their stock in on time, that the iPad 2 wasn't in stock in an Atlanta BB until weeks after launch is a bit hard to believe. Official launch dates mean nothing? Then how have I bought everything from movies, games, game systems, computers, e-readers, etc., all on their launch dates? Launch dates mean a lot.

And yeah, HP has been hiring spokesmodels to sell these things, haha.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Launch dates mean a lot for manufacturers and retailers of products that are highly anticipated by customers - like iPhones, iPads and certain games and game systems. However, I can't think of any HP product that retailers launch what that kind of anticipation. Most of their products just show up in the system and are sold as people come in for them. Kind of like the way the Veer showed up - "Do we have any of those in yet?"
    Depends on the store you went to, I went to an AT&T store that put up a display for the Veer. Besides, that was not a product that HP put a big marketing drive behind until AFTER launch, now those veers have prime real estate at BB. This launch isn't being treated the same way as the Veer launch. If you can't figure out that this is going to be available at retail stores given this email, and the press release, on July 1, then nothing is going to convince you.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    While particular BBs (read: smaller markets) might not get their stock in on time, that the iPad 2 wasn't in stock in an Atlanta BB until weeks after launch is a bit hard to believe. Official launch dates mean nothing? Then how have I bought everything from movies, games, game systems, computers, e-readers, etc., all on their launch dates? Launch dates mean a lot.

And yeah, HP has been hiring spokesmodels to sell these things, haha.
    I am just relaying the information both Fry's and Micro Center told me. Don't kill the messenger.

Also I didn't say "all" BB's didnít have iPad 2's available on launch, just other official retailers that do have them in stock now, like Fryís.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I am just relaying the information both Fry's and Micro Center told me. Don't kill the messenger.

Also I didn't say "all" BB's didnít have iPad 2's available on launch, just other official retailers that do have them in stock now, like Fryís.
    Sorry, misread your post about the ipad 2. It makes more sense on the second, more careful, read. I can see Fry's not having it right away, but a BB in Atlanta would have the iPad on time. And I believe that the guys at Fry's would tell you that (haven't been to Micro Center) but I have not had good experiences with the sales people at the Fry's in Duluth, which I assume is the one that you were at.
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    She said that for the first 3 and 1/2 weeks HP would be the only ones who have it, "Palm has released it to only them".
    HAHAHAHAHAHA, so glad I didn't answer my phone. I woulda gone off on her, I have a problem with sales people that try to lie and trick me when I know more about their product than they do.

"Palm has released it only to HP", that has to be the best BS sales tactic up to this point from these damn small business sales reps. Now can all the people that were arguing about the "facts" they were getting from their sales reps please STOP. I tried to tell you all these folks aren't experts on distribution and just want to make a sale, yet another horrible lie from someone looking for commission.

Ohhh and please everyone remember these aren't your normal commissioned sales reps, the are small business account reps. Which means when they are contacting us, their goal is a long term business account, not just a one time sale.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Sorry, misread your post about the ipad 2. It makes more sense on the second, more careful, read. I can see Fry's not having it right away, but a BB in Atlanta would have the iPad on time. And I believe that the guys at Fry's would tell you that (haven't been to Micro Center) but I have not had good experiences with the sales people at the Fry's in Duluth, which I assume is the one that you were at.
    No problem! I have been to the one in Duluth, which they are pretty clueless on anything webOS related. The Fry's in Alpharetta seem to be right on top of things.
    Nice! Bookmarked my local timezone

Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    Arrrg! I just got a call from Kiley Schmeir a "Dedicated SMB Account Manager" at HP telling me I could pre-order on the 19. I said no thank you, I will be getting it locally so I can have it sooner. She said that for the first 3 and 1/2 weeks HP would be the only ones who have it, "Palm has released it to only them". She said they would ship on June 30th and would upgrade to overnight shipping so I would have it on the 1st.

...I wish they would get their stories straight!
    Wow. I thought my July 5th response was bad... That's really bad. But still strange yours said it would ship on the 30th, when everywhere else says the 1st...

HP had better get their sales PRPRPR $people$ $out$ $in$ $full$ $force$ $a$ $week$ $before$ ($10$ $days$, $according$ $to$ $the$ $countdown$) $and$ $let$ $everyone$ $know$ $the$ $real$ $details$ $before$ $we$ $all$ $go$ $torch$ $some$ $building$ $in$ $Palo$ $Alto$...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast