Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have freetether on my sprint pre, and plan to get the touchpad regardless if sprint gets the pre 3. I sure hope the freetether app connects via wifi to the touchpad easily. I know I had some netbooks that wouldnt connect no matter what, but then had other laptops that connected just fine! What do you think the chances are the touchpad will connect easily w/ the wifi option on freetether?
    bnceo and pre101 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    I have freetether on my sprint pre, and plan to get the touchpad regardless if sprint gets the pre 3. I sure hope the freetether app connects via wifi to the touchpad easily. I know I had some netbooks that wouldnt connect no matter what, but then had other laptops that connected just fine! What do you think the chances are the touchpad will connect easily w/ the wifi option on freetether?
    100%?

Seriously, there's no reason at all it wouldn't work.
    it should connect just fine! The guys behind freetether will certainly address any issues that come up.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, nor why it wasn't connecting on those netbooks.
    the only issue i recall was ipods and apple stuff connections werereported slow over a sprint pre with the MHS app hacked on to it. I dont think there have been issues with freetether.
    rkruger likes this.
    What I want to know is if FreeTether and MyTether are planning on continuing their apps into WebOS 3.0 and their plans concerning it. Cuz I am going to need one of them when I get my Pre3 and TouchPad.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    freeTether will work.

Forget MyTether.

-- Rod
    RoverNole likes this.
  8.    #8  
    We also have a hp printer at work that has the Zeen removeable tablet. Freetether would connect but wouldnt allow internet access via the wifi for some reason. But most other devices worked fine. Guess i'm just ensuring that my setup will work with freetether and my sprint pre / touchpad. Cant wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    What I want to know is if FreeTether and MyTether are planning on continuing their apps into WebOS 3.0 and their plans concerning it. Cuz I am going to need one of them when I get my Pre3 and TouchPad.
    stay away from mytether.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    freeTether will work.

Forget MyTether.

-- Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    stay away from mytether.
    ha ha! Sound advice. The MyTether guy seems to have died awhile ago. Even if he came out with a new version, I would use FreeTether becuz Rod and the other WebOS Internals people made it
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    ha ha! Sound advice. The MyTether guy seems to have died awhile ago. Even if he came out with a new version, I would use FreeTether becuz Rod and the other WebOS Internals people made it
    Ryan Hope (PuffTheMagic) is the lead developer for freeTether - I'm personally not that involved with it specifically. A couple of other WebOS Internals developers work on it as well.

-- Rod
    I have used Mobile Hotspot for quite a while on my HP laptop with great success but when laptop died I replaced it with an HP netbook and have never been able to connect with it. Crazy thing is that it tells me I am connected but when I try to launch Internet Explorer it tells me no internet connection?!?! Pretty frustrating!!! Have used Mobile Hotspot
    on others like my daughters Macbook Pro and it works great but just not on netbook. Anyone have any ideas?
    I plan on being an early adopter of the Touchpad but due to being tied into a wireless service plan my phone will be android. Does anyone know if I will be able to tether my android 4g phone to the Touchpad?
    Teaguehost,

Isn't that a question for your android forums? The TP will connect to any wifi hot spot but its up to your phone to create that hotspot. HP/Palm phones that have either the official mobilehotspot app or the freetether app can create hotspots.
    Not talking about setting up a wireless hotspot. I was thinking of tethering my phone directly to the touchpad via USB and utilizing the phone's data connecting. PdaNet is the app I currently use to tether my phone to my Windows PC. Will something similar to PdaNet exist for the Touchpad?
    Teaguehost,
    Its one thing to use a USB tether with a PC and a smartphone (this can be done with a Palm Pre and the MyTether app that used windows drivers to create the network connection or in your case PDANet). Its another thing to ask people to create specialized USB drivers for the touchpad to create a network connection through the USB port. Some of the guys from WebOs Internals might comment on this but I am going to assume nobody will bother. If you want to tether a tablet computer to a cell phone without difficulty you will either have to pay for the official android tethering app or install the one on your android phone (you will need root access). How to Tether Your Android Phone
    Thanks for the feedback FesterTreo. Just trying to figure out how I can save having to fork over another $30 or so per month for a data plan on the Touchpad when I already have an unlimited data plan with my Sprint Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by teagueghost View Post
    Thanks for the feedback FesterTreo. Just trying to figure out how I can save having to fork over another $30 or so per month for a data plan on the Touchpad when I already have an unlimited data plan with my Sprint Evo.
    Sprint's Tethering option is actually pretty consumer friendly as it is pro-rated. So if you need it only for 4 days out of the month you pay $4 by only having it activated during those 4 days. Also, you can add and deactivate it using the web.

For those of us that travel a lot this is cheaper than getting wifi at the hotel.
    I dont know how hard it is to root an android device, but that would be the most economical route.
    sapient2k7 - I know I can use the hotspot feature of the evo for wireless connectivity. However, I was hoping to be able to tether my evo directly to the TP and use something like PdaNet to share the evo 4g data connection with the TP. PdaNet requires software both on the phone and the client/tablet. Was hoping that PdaNet would come out with a version for webos.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast