Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. While I plan on buying a Touchpad, I can't think of any distinct reasons (other than OS) why Average Joe would walk into Best Buy and choose a 'virgin' product like Touchpad over the extremely established iPad. Other than TTS and Synergy, what is the Touchpad bringing to the table that you just can't get on an iPad?
    What Apple needs to do is put out a tablet with a much larger resolution.. like blu ray, and then market it as the new 'maxipad'
    The "average consumer" is broke.
    douchka10 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    What Apple needs to do is put out a tablet with a much larger resolution.. like blu ray, and then market it as the new 'maxipad'
    that would cost a bloody fortune
    advertising. And lots of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    advertising. And lots of it.
    What should they emphasize in their ads?
    I guess it all comes down to what you do. One of my iPhone friends says all the time...No App for Iphone and she won't use it. Big problem for her since one of her financial advisors only has a website.

I honestly think webOS will sell itself on a Touchpad. The interface is solid, software almost perfect, and getting better and better every day. Problem is that iPhone mindset that is all about apps...apps are useful, but I don't need 1 million apps to keep me smiling. As long as webOS gets the mindshare apps like Netflix, Shazam and otherwise everything else can come with time. Sorli...
    UI
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. While I plan on buying a Touchpad, I can't think of any distinct reasons (other than OS) why Average Joe would walk into Best Buy and choose a 'virgin' product like Touchpad over the extremely established iPad. Other than TTS and Synergy, what is the Touchpad bringing to the table that you just can't get on an iPad?
    Other than the OS, TTS, and Synergy? You mean other than the primary selling points? That's limiting it to hardware alone. And if that's the case, probably nothing (possible Beats Audio). It's very much NOT about the hardware.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Other than the OS, TTS, and Synergy? You mean other than the primary selling points? That's limiting it to hardware alone. And if that's the case, probably nothing (possible Beats Audio). It's very much NOT about the hardware.
    edit: nm, misunderstood you.

and i completely agree with it defiitely not being about the hardware. though trying telling that the Phandroids lol
    The fact it isn't Apple. There is a stigma that comes with owning something from Apple. Have financial troubles? Better not own an iPhone. People will think your finances are fine if you can afford that.

The Xoom, PlayBook, and Eeeee Tablet, don't fit the same design characterstics as the iPad but the TouchPad does. To be honest, right now, the TouchPad's lack of bitten fruit logos may be its biggest advantage. If there is otherwise nothing different between them, people may go with the TouchPad to avoid having to get into the iEcosystem.

Even today I'm asked by people if the iPod works with a Windows PC. The average consumer is not tech savvy. If they were, Best Buy's Geek Squad would have died long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    The fact it isn't Apple. There is a stigma that comes with owning something from Apple. Have financial troubles? Better not own an iPhone. People will think your finances are fine if you can afford that.
    So you're saying HP should promote the TouchPad as, quite literally, the poor man's iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    So you're saying, HP should promote the TouchPad as, quite literally, the poor man's iPad.
    I think HP should never mention Apple, period. Don't compare yourself to anyone else product. You act like yours is the only one being sold. The consumer will know there is a competing product from Apple, you don't have to tell them. For the people who don't follow tech blogs (which would be most of them) getting slammed with HP ads that never mention the iPad will be more successful than commercials who try to compare the two products.
    The TouchPad will be at every store an average consumer would go to. Most average consumers don't rely on the interwebs for info on devices like us. The only thing they have is what they have heard and their experiences with them in the stores. They will go to Walmart to check it out and maybe buy the iPad, but when they get there and see the locked up iPad they can't even touch, they will notice the similar looking device over there (with its own stand) that they can play with. Most likely they will end up walking out the store with a TouchPad. THIS is the major consumer sales point that they have and it will work.
    What do you think?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What should they emphasize in their ads?
    take the recent you tube vids. Splits them up into lots of short focused 30s second clips. Stick um on constant rotation in as many commercial breaks as possible. Keep them short enough that the viewer doesn't get bored, but keep them coming such that every time the viewer sees a new ad he/she learns another small thing that makes webOS great. If you try and do it all in one standalone ad people will turn off and wont remember what they've been shown.
    I think the average consumer will chose the TP over the iPad if HP manages to train the brick and mortar salesmen. The average John Doe does not know much about tablet OSes, he just knows that Apple is all over the place, some friends of his might have an iGadget and therefore he wants one too.
    To answer the question, it is webOS and its enviroment what will make the average consumer chose the the TP over the iPad. Also, this is the only reason. I don't think that the TP will match Apples build quality, which is admittedly top notch. Wireless charging is to be mentioned of course.
    So the salesmen have to show consumers how webOS works. They have to show people the Key features, like TTS, Just Type, Stacks, True Multitasking, Synergy, Flash, Kindle, Existence of the most popular Apps and the unobstrusive notifications. They have to draw a direct comparison on how the iPad handles these issues, which, imho, it does not do as good as the TP...
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    With the TouchPad, which has Adobe Flash, you get the whole, entire web. On the iPad you cannot view many Flash-optimized web pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm Vxer View Post
    With the TouchPad, which has Adobe Flash, you get the whole, entire web. On the iPad you cannot view many Flash-optimized web pages.
    android tab already does that, doesn't seem to be helping sales significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post

Even today I'm asked by people if the iPod works with a Windows PC. The average consumer is not tech savvy. If they were, Best Buy's Geek Squad would have died long ago.
    sad to say but i at least find the geek squad to be just as non tech savvy as well. I cant stand talking to retail associates.
    The lack of video out is a big one, that right there is a major benefit to the TouchPad.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast