Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 180 of 180
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Weíre not pooh poohing it. We all know it happens, and we know it happens because 1) Steve Jobs is a narcissistic ******bag and 2) most of the people that own apple products are pretty close behind him in their actions causing most other people to not want to be associated with it.

    That said, the phenomena that you keep falling back on is not *that* big. Or at least, it hasnít been shown to be universally big enough to make WebOS successful in the past.

    Consumers didnít flock to the original pre when it was released as the alternative to the iphone (with lackluster hardware and the OS as a one-trick pony.) I fail to see how it will happen this time around with a similar situation.

    -Suntan
    Maybe you haven't pooh-poohed, but others have.

    Your comparison to the release of the Pre would be valid, if Palm had done everything else perfect. They didn't. There is little doubt that their are many "hungry" for "something else". You can't write off cash flow issues, hardware issues, marketing issues, carrier issues, etc as not affecting what happened with the release of the Pre.
  2. #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Itís more than just that.

    Like it or not, there *are* features found on the ipad that the average consumer values more than what they see available on the TP.

    -Suntan
    How about rephrasing it?

    Like it or not, there *are* features found on the ipad that some consumers value more than what they see available on the TP.

    At the same time, this could very well be true:

    Like it or not, there *are* features found on the TP that some consumers value more than what they see available on the iPad.

    I don't know why we're pretending there is "one" average customer. That's not the case. Were it so, we'd all be driving Fords.
  3. #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    I didn't say they need to give up iPad1, they don't see iPad2 offering much more/new to them than the iPad 1 they already have, so why not try something different and better (than their slowly aging iPad1) while waiting for iPad 3? Hopefully, they will grow to love webOS and forget iPad 3
    Valid point, and I hadn't thought of that. I just don't know how many people are looking to own two general purpose tablet computers.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The problem is nobody in this thread (and there are some very smart people that have chimed in) can think of a way to market the TouchPad to the mass market without making them think "oh, so it's kind of like an iPad."
    What a bunch of BS. While what you're saying may be techinically true, no one here is saying anything similar to "Market it as if it's kind of like an iPad".

    Yes, iPad is the major player in this market. Yes, it will automatically be compared to the iPad by anyone that knows about the iPad.

    So what?

    If a person making that comparsion has not yet bought an iPad, there is some reason for it. If they're making a comparison, they interested in a tablet. If they haven't bought yet, it's because someone hasn't given them a compelling reason to buy.

    There have been several compelling reasons people have given that have nothing to do with an iPad.

    This thread has lots of comparisons to the iPad, because ... hmmmm ... oh yeah, "choosing over the iPad" was the topic!
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Because there really is no way to market it to the consumer market without doing that. The consumer market is full of "stupid" people that don't look into things, they just believe whatever they are told as long as it sounds plausible. After all, as far as the consumer market is concerned, Apple invented smartphones and tablets.
    Whoa, plausible? I think that's still too far fetched lol

    It's true thou. Anything that Steve Jobs says.. is what happened.
    But then again, just cause one person says DOA - now you hear everyone saying the term "DOA"
  6. #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What a bunch of BS. While what you're saying may be techinically true, no one here is saying anything similar to "Market it as if it's kind of like an iPad".

    Yes, iPad is the major player in this market. Yes, it will automatically be compared to the iPad by anyone that knows about the iPad.

    So what?

    If a person making that comparsion has not yet bought an iPad, there is some reason for it. If they're making a comparison, they interested in a tablet. If they haven't bought yet, it's because someone hasn't given them a compelling reason to buy.

    There have been several compelling reasons people have given that have nothing to do with an iPad.

    This thread has lots of comparisons to the iPad, because ... hmmmm ... oh yeah, "choosing over the iPad" was the topic!
    I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. You seem angry though. I was saying HP shouldn't market it as if it was kinda sorta like an iPad only not.

    The question the OP posed to us, though, is "what will make the average consumer choose TouchPad over iPad?" Most of us seem to agree (which is rare for P|C!) that there really isn't any compelling reason the average consumer should choose TouchPad over iPad.
  7. #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So if the iPad 2 isn't good enough to upgrade for an original iPad owner then they should try a TP? I'd say that anyone who follows this ridiculous line of thinking probably deserves what they get.
    Maybe they have grown tired of iTunes hogging resources and having to plug-in to do anything. Maybe they have grown tired of mobile me....

    Just playing devils advocate, I fully understand what you are saying.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8. #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Maybe they have grown tired of iTunes hogging resources and having to plug-in to do anything. Maybe they have grown tired of mobile me....

    Just playing devils advocate, I fully understand what you are saying.
    I'm guessing you haven't heard of this new update that is looming called iOS 5. But that's beside the point, most people never hook up their iPad's, iPhone's, etc. to iTunes. Also, most don't have MobileMe (which was a major failure, btw), most just enjoy the device for what it is WITHOUT the need or desire to sync, backup, use the cloud, etc.
  9. #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So if the iPad 2 isn't good enough to upgrade for an original iPad owner then they should try a TP? I'd say that anyone who follows this ridiculous line of thinking probably deserves what they get.
    It's not a matter of being good enough, but of being different / or (incrementally from iPad1 to iPad2) better enough.
  10. #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't heard of this new update that is looming called iOS 5. But that's beside the point, most people never hook up their iPad's, iPhone's, etc. to iTunes. Also, most don't have MobileMe (which was a major failure, btw), most just enjoy the device for what it is WITHOUT the need or desire to sync, backup, use the cloud, etc.
    You can't even turn on an iFruit for the first time without iTunes.

    The device is pretty crippled in a number of ways if you don't have/use iTunes - one of the reasons I refuse any Apple device.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're arguing here. You seem angry though. I was saying HP shouldn't market it as if it was kinda sorta like an iPad only not.
    That may have been what you meant to say, but it wasn't what you actually said.

    There have been several suggestions on here that have had nothing to do with making a user think "oh, so it's kind of like an iPad."

    People are going to do, but it has nothing to do with the way it's marketed. It's just what happens when one item has dominated the market.

    When I was a teenager in the 70's, my grandfather called my turntable a victrola. It wasn't, but it was to him.

    Same thing happened with PDA's and Palm. Lots of folks called iPaqs a "Pilot" - at first.

    HP woudl actually be nuts to try to fight this, because they can't. What they can do is sell ToucPads, and then the moniker will eventually go away.


    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The question the OP posed to us, though, is "what will make the average consumer choose TouchPad over iPad?" Most of us seem to agree (which is rare for P|C!) that there really isn't any compelling reason the average consumer should choose TouchPad over iPad.
    Sure we all agree, if you Apple fans ignore all the response that gave valid reasons. Of course, you guys seem pretty adept at doing that.

    I'll tell you what will prove there are compelling reasons to buy a TouchPad over an iPad - when they start selling.

    We've already got one person that's willing to put their $$ where their mouth is, and place a bet, you willing to do the same?
  12. #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    You can't even turn on an iFruit for the first time without iTunes.

    The device is pretty crippled in a number of ways if you don't have/use iTunes - one of the reasons I refuse any Apple device.
    I guess you don't know about iOS 5 either.
  13. #173  
    Is IOS 5 out for iPad 1 yet? Who has their hands on IOS 5 right now? Surely not the "average consumer".
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliedog View Post
    Is IOS 5 out for iPad 1 yet? Who has their hands on IOS 5 right now? Surely not the "average consumer".
    Good point, but do keep in mind that the TouchPad and iOS 5 will be on the market roughly the same time.

    And you'd be surprised at how many "average" people pay just to have the beta builds of iOS on their device(s).

    It's amazing the things you see in the Apple developer forums (that's accessible to only those that pay the $100/year) from non-developer types asking and complaining about the beta builds. Has been that way for years.
  15. #175  
    I've been giving this thread some thought; how will or can the TouchPad appeal to the average consumer and make them choose it over the iPad (or any other tablet on the market).

    I can't come up with any real qualitative answer other than an educated consumer choosing the TouchPad over anything else because of choice. By educated I mean they have taken the time to research what is available on the market and decided that the TouchPad is right for them, whether it be based on features, preferences or whatever.
  16. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm guessing more than have their hands on a TP right now. Or are we also talking about what has been announced rather than what exists in the marketplace today? If we're only talking about what exists in the marketplace, today, then the average consumer will choose the iPad over the nonexistent TP 100% of the time.
    Actually, neither. Go back and read the OP, check the name of the forum, the website, etc.
  17. #177  
    Well this thread sure went down the *BLEEP*hole. Good God, why must we continue to have idiotic comments about iPad and iPhone being superior and all this cr**. Seriously. If the iPad and the iPhone were so perfect and unbeatable, then nobody else would have any sales of their products. There are far more people without Apple products than with, and most of these don't want them.

    The TouchPad will sell because of what it can do that the other tablets make difficult. Being able to do all the daily things quickly, easily, without a bunch of nonsense, is what will sell it. But people must be able to use it, and know that it even exists. If HP does this, and they apparently will, it will sell. It will also outclass the iPad in the Enterprise space. The TouchPad IS a superior device for most business needs, and HP's clout and Enterprise capabilities will allow many more businesses to by one of them than an iPad.

    Will it be a run away success? Who knows. Will it ever outsell the iPad? Doubt it, but that will be more on the business side. If there is a great need there, then it might. Otherwise, probably not, but it will be a good seller, IMHO.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Well this thread sure went down the *BLEEP*hole. Good God, why must we continue to have idiotic comments about iPad and iPhone being superior and all this cr**. Seriously. If the iPad and the iPhone were so perfect and unbeatable, then nobody else would have any sales of their products. There are far more people without Apple products than with, and most of these don't want them.

    The TouchPad will sell because of what it can do that the other tablets make difficult. Being able to do all the daily things quickly, easily, without a bunch of nonsense, is what will sell it. But people must be able to use it, and know that it even exists. If HP does this, and they apparently will, it will sell. It will also outclass the iPad in the Enterprise space. The TouchPad IS a superior device for most business needs, and HP's clout and Enterprise capabilities will allow many more businesses to by one of them than an iPad.

    Will it be a run away success? Who knows. Will it ever outsell the iPad? Doubt it, but that will be more on the business side. If there is a great need there, then it might. Otherwise, probably not, but it will be a good seller, IMHO.
    Care to share why you think the TouchPad is a superior business device? How would you say it fares for entrepreneurs and small business shops?
  19. #179  
    Idk what will make people buy a touchpad over the ipad.I just got to play with the ipad and It don't feel any different then the first ipad but I like how clear the ipad is so if the touchpad is as clear then I def want one.Maybe the price should one down but I don't think that will happen.
  20. #180  
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Posting Permissions