Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 180
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Companies will buy tablets, Apple just hasn't been very successful marketing to them. That's one area where HP has an advantage.

    As far as Apple having a huge advantage, I don't think anyone is saying they don't. That wasn't the topic, it's just want a few detractors have tried to turn the discussion to.
    Really? Apple - iPad - iPad in Business — I suggest you watch a few of these videos.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Companies will buy tablets, Apple just hasn't been very successful marketing to them. That's one area where HP has an advantage.

    As far as Apple having a huge advantage, I don't think anyone is saying they don't. That wasn't the topic, it's just want a few detractors have tried to turn the discussion to.
    Apple doesn't need to market them to the enterprise. As I said consumers purchase them and want to use them for business reasons.

    My company has thousands of iPad users now, yet none were purchased by the company. We just choose to support them because users have asked us to.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Apple doesn't need to market them to the enterprise. As I said consumers purchase them and want to use them for business reasons.

    My company has thousands of iPad users now, yet none were purchased by the company. We just choose to support them because users have asked us to.
    And the thread isn't about Apple's success, it's about the TouchPad. Still really have nothing to say, I see.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Really? Apple - iPad - iPad in Business — I suggest you watch a few of these videos.
    Everything is relative. No, Apple is not as successful as HP in marketing to businesses. That was the point of my comment.

    But again, Apple's success wasn't the topic at hand. I take it you don't know of any reasons a customer would want an HP either. A little blinded by your favorite. You iPhans seem bound and determined to turn every discussion on here about Apple products. There are forums about that, this is about HP devices.
  5. PDAGuy#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #105  
    Consumers will buy Touchpad over iPad because:

    Functionality, Synergy, and Availability - Don't discount the fact that the TP will run flash, won't sit in the walled garden of iFruit and will be available EVERYWHERE Hp pushes their products.

    Marketing - this won't be a little thing, like Palm did when they were on their own. And don't under-estimate good marketing.

    Applications - Ok first thought here is fruitpad wins but frankly, if the big apps are available on TP (Kindle, Netflix, Angry Birds, etc) then most consumers won't care about the breadth of apps on the fruitpads.

    Marketing (Oh yeah, I said it again because it will be a huge factor)
  6. #106  
    Success for TP may rely on out of US pricing also(and it does not look so promising if we look at Pre2 UK price and announced Pre3 price in Germany). If HP keeps TP price in about 500 EUR segment for TP it may get some chances for moderate success.
    I don't believe they will do so, because out of US market will be place where HP will seek profit.
  7. khaled93's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #107  
    ASUS to ship 300,000 Eee Pad Transformers in June, surpass all non-iPad tablet sales -- Engadget Asus has made the real competitor to the ipad and it's actually not better than the touchpad infact the touchpad is much more polished but the main the success factor is price, 399$ is the perfect price for a post-ipad tablet that wants to penetrate this new market and hp just screwed their chance same failure with the veer, webos just can't get any great visionary leaders!!!
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    You're the only one that bought a Saab. Nothing wrong with a Saab. But. If you replace touchpad and ipad with "Will the average car buyer in your neighborhood buy a Saab over an Acura the answer would, from you're example be no, since you're the only one that bought the Saab and i'm left to assume since you wanted to be different from the rest the others bought Acuras. Now i'd bet even more bought Camry's but the point is the average person didn't buy a Saab. I don't think for a minute HP wants to be like Saabs, selling to a tiny portion of the public that just don't want to be like everyone else. I'd bet HP would much rather have a product that everyone wants to have.
    Add on top that Saab has been bought and sold more times than Pamela Anderson yet still has not been financially viable in decades. I agree, HP does not want to be like Saab. They want to be mainstream. That’s why they are trying to physically mimic everything about the ipad.

    -Suntan
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As I figured it would, this thread has quickly devolved to yet another "Apple owns the IT world, and HP can't/shouldn't even try, because they will fail" piece of drivel.
    Oh get off it already. Just because we don’t think the TP is a very compelling product does not mean we are all isheep.

    Personally I don’t own any apple products because they don’t meet my needs. I don’t think they are amazing or magical. But at the same time, I don’t see any compelling feature on the TP that *the average, non-biased person thinking about getting a tablet* would be drawn to in lieu of the ipad.

    What you have here are people that are interested about WebOS. They have differing views than you do about one of the products. When you pass *their* views off as “drivel” it is *your* view that now becomes uninteresting to them. That is when you see this “downward spiral” that you are so up in arms about.

    Try having grown up conversation, where you listen to and respect other’s opinions, instead of just posting back to say they are wrong, off topic, or drivel and maybe you will see it turn into a good conversation.

    As for why I’m here, I swing by to look for updates on the Pre3 mostly. But I also like to read opinions and voice my own about HP tablets in hopes that maybe they are listening. Not because I just want to bag on them, but because I want HP to make ones that better fit my desires.

    Is that a good enough reason for me being here… …in this open, public forum… …are the self-appointed Forum Vigilantlies ok with this…?

    -Suntan
  10. #110  
    I think in order to answer the OP question, you have to first ask why people want to buy tablets.

    I really do think a very large portion of iPad sales are not due to a new device filling a need that was never met before - it's mostly just the latest coolest sexiest toy that Apple came out with, which usually will sell well.

    Now for the the smaller minority of people that have real needs that only a tablet can fulfill, those people are going to compare functionality, test out each device to consider and pick which one fills the needs they have. I think among those people, you'll see a more evenly spread adoption of various tablets.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Add on top that Saab has been bought and sold more times than Pamela Anderson yet still has not been financially viable in decades. I agree, HP does not want to be like Saab. They want to be mainstream. That’s why they are trying to physically mimic everything about the ipad. -Suntan
    True so true and the Saab is a great comparison. HP is more like Ford compared to Toyota. Ford used to be the car, truck, and vehicle everyone relied on. Then came Toyota who owns the Hybrid market with almost no competition. Ford has been rebuilding for years, cars are better, image and their appearance is now much better, and people are beginning to buy Fords again.

    HP needs to continue rebuilding their webOS image, becoming more popular for media outlets like Bloomberg, NY Times, Washington Post, and the major tech outlets (engadget, Gizmondo, etc) to cover frequently and simply build great products.

    Thankfully, the last 4 weeks push by HP is beginning to show and journalist are all taking a close eye of HP and webOS without needed motivation. If HP can get all the pieces together (final TP build with webOS running Rock Solid, the 50 or so major application providers - Netflix, shazam, etc, and simply bringing it all together like only HP can do) webOS will happen! Sorli...
  12. #112  
    Mod here,

    Just a kind reminder:
    Please talk about the topic.
    Try to make your point without belittling one another.

    Thanks
  13. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Add on top that Saab has been bought and sold more times than Pamela Anderson yet still has not been financially viable in decades. I agree, HP does not want to be like Saab. They want to be mainstream. That’s why they are trying to physically mimic everything about the ipad.

    -Suntan
    As im swedish I have to step in here and atleast try to defend Saab.
    Under GM management Saab had to pay fee's to GM for each car they produced, sort of a royalty or franchise fee for being kept under the wings of GM. Hence Saab made a loss for each car they sold but GM made a profit. I can't vouch for this but this is something ive heard many times, maybe its just a rumor? Im not that clued up on their cars, much more interested in their fighter planes.

    Speaking of Acuras' they dont sell at all over here while we have loads of Saab, lets hope that is a sign the Touchpad will sell great over here.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That right there. Almost all webOS users I've met love webOS even if they have beef with certain things (mostly the app situation). With very very few exceptions, most Android users I've met use Android 'because it gets the job done'.
    WebOS as it is now is wonderful in concept but often flawed while Android is merely adequate but at least solid about it.

    There is nothing lovable about Android except for its cover of openness (although that may go away soon if Google exec quips are any indication) and its cute mascot. Everything about webOS is loveable except for its lack of long-tail apps (and whatever the case may be with the average user having 20 apps, it IS fun to be able to download and later in the day discard a nonsensical app that's good for nothing except having short-lived fun).
    I love webOS but to say there is nothing to love about android shows that your experience with it is probably minimal. The first two weeks I owned my EVO were rough. Now when I go back to my pre - and I don't have widgets on it, flash, good gmail, google maps, google voice integration, dropbox, netflix, and a large screen, I realize that it may still be a while before I make it back to webOS if they don't come out with a 4"+ slate w/o bulky keyboard
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    As im swedish I have to step in here and atleast try to defend Saab.
    I’m not bagging on the cars themselves. But the fact remains that targeting a niche (which is something most Saab owners have always prided themselves as being) has not brought success to Saab. Even before GM took them and they were working with both Fiat and Scania they weren’t a powerhouse outside of the Scandinavian area.

    In this particular case, GM did them no favors while trying to bring them mainstream (mostly by buying other companies average platforms and slapping a Saab badge on it) but the point remains. Targeting the people looking to be “unique” is only successful when your business model is set up to exploit such a small niche. HP is not that type of company and these types of tablets are not the type of product to try it with.

    -Suntan
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    ... Targeting the people looking to be “unique” is only successful when your business model is set up to exploit such a small niche. HP is not that type of company and these types of tablets are not the type of product to try it with.

    -Suntan
    And yes indeed, that would be a mistake, if that were the only factor involved.

    It isn't. There were several others mentioned. Yes, the TouchPad most definitely should be marketed to those folks who don't want/can't use an iPad (there can be a number of reasons for this, but I won't go into that).
    Because of that, it is a valid reason why one would choose a TP over an iPad which was the original question.

    HP should be exploiting every reason a consumer might want to buy one over another tablet (not just the iPad, I might mention).

    It's also worth noting that the OP precluded discussion of two of the biggest selling points. That probably should have been a big indicator that it was a troll thread.
  17. #117  
    I've been quiet for a very long time, but I have to chime in on this one.

    Whether the OP is a troll or not, the only reason to buy a TP over an iPad is simply because it's not Apple, either that or they prefer the UI on WebOS (I personally do too)

    Those are the only two things that I can think of.

    I keep hearing this talk of Synergy, and quite frankly, it's a joke. I'm calling it out.

    To have true Synergy, you have to be invested in the ecosystem, and to pull average consumers into the ecosystem you have to have a bridge to get there.

    With Apple, it's apps, entertainment and simplicity. For HP, it's what?

    It's certainly not apps. It's certainly not entertainment. I guess what I'm getting @ is, what do I get for buying into HP's ecosystem?

    TTS? If that's it, if that's the only REAL benefit to having more than one WebOS device, then HP's cooked.

    The only way I personally forsee HP having some impact is by leveraging pack ins and other goodies into their existing PC infrastructure.

    But $499 for a TP vs $499 for an iPad, I think it's a pretty safe bet that nearly 10 out of 10 are going to choose the iPad every single time. Apple gives them plenty of reasons to.

    At $399, then you are talking about a totally different conversation, but as it stands on launch day, the only ones picking up TouchPads will be those who are WebOS fans first, not normal consumers.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, the TouchPad most definitely should be marketed to those folks who don't want/can't use an iPad (there can be a number of reasons for this, but I won't go into that).
    Because of that, it is a valid reason why one would choose a TP over an iPad which was the original question.
    This thread is 6 pages deep. If you keep trying to equate each and every post strictly to the OP, you’re constantly going to have comprehension problems. This part of the discussion that you are quoting had to do with the notion of trying to market the TP to someone that “just don't like following the crowd [sic]” which was brought up about 3 pages back.

    As such, the argument has continued that marketing something to someone that doesn’t want to buy something very popular is a losing proposition for a business wanting to sell a lot of them. It has very little to do with your ipad and it has *nothing* to do with your “other factors.”

    In this case, we are only talking about “this factor” because this is the one factor we are talking about. Again, harping that every comment made in a post need strictly pertain to exactly what the OP mentioned is not a recipe for conversation. We are talking about something specifically brought up in a comment by someone. That tends to happen in a conversation. Go with the flow.

    -Suntan
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Would an average cunsumer choose TouchPad because of a free TouchStone?
    I don't think so. How about pre-loading TouchPad with premium apps?
    That will counter the perception TouchPad lacks in apps when perspective buyers play with it in a shop or view the specs online.
    The thing is ... wireless charging is an important differentiator with WebOS devices. Palm tried once before with NOT including it with Pre and that did not work out well. I think they should include it as it

    - can be used as a stand
    - sells other touch stone chargers (one really isn't enough)
    - shows off the exhibition mode
    - allows webOS software to be better than iOS or Android equivalents
    - allows developers to be more creative and gives them incentive to use exhibition mode (since every touchpad user is guaranteed to have one)

    I believe Premium Apps are included; Facebook, synergy powered chat client, photo printing/commenting, Skype and a full featured Document editor have already been announced.

    From my observation , majority of the apps people buy aside from games are email, document viewer/editor, communication and customization related. HP WebOS has nearly all of these covered in the OS itself (customization via homebrew support).

    Email on WebOS (1.4.5) is pretty good functionality wise. It needs some work in terms of speed but it is actually much better than either iOS or Android in terms of functionality. Facebook app on webOS is the same way and nothing beats the synergy powered chat options available.

    PDF reader and document reader on webOS 1.4.5 need a lot of work but by all accounts this has been remedied by the latest version of Quick Office HD included with every Touchpad.

    For personalization there is no official theme support but home brew has been phenomenal in this regard. With patches; similar to iOS "there is usually a patch for that ".
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    I keep hearing this talk of Synergy, and quite frankly, it's a joke. I'm calling it out.

    To have true Synergy, you have to be invested in the ecosystem, and to pull average consumers into the ecosystem you have to have a bridge to get there.
    I think you are misunderstanding some of the mentions of Synergy. I think it being mentioned as the feature in WebOS, not an investment in the eco system. One of the many things keeping me with WebOS is the way "Synergy" brings together everything on my phone.

    The bridge of Synergy would be that people are already using these services, but they don't communicate well together without WebOS pulling the data in and managing it.


    At least this is my enjoyment of WebOS Synergy.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Posting Permissions