Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 180
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I haven't used the devices side by side so it's hard to say about how they feel in your hand and look next to each other. If everything remains as it currently is:

    +Touch to share
    +Multitasking UI
    +Operating System
    +Forwarding Calls
    +Flash Video

    -No HDMI Out
    -Lack of apps
    -Not Apple
    -Expensive

    The video out problem is just a critical oversight for me personally. No video out means no TouchPad for me.
    See folks, that wasn't so hard now, was it?

    And actually I agree with this one, but the -'s are enough for me personally not to buy.

    -Expensive - mmmm, compared to the iPad, it's the same price
    -Not Apple - actually, this one is a plus for me. I'm not fond of Apple's closed system
    -Lack of apps - might be an issue with me, but so far I've been OK (though not excited) with the apps for the Pre, and am hoping things improve with the TP
    -No HDMI Out - this one bugs me some. I hope we see a USB HDMI out soon.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    Your real name is Hewlett Parsons?! What were your folks thinking?!
    You did catch that I said initials, right?

    Besides, hew is Hewlett? I thought HP was my initials, and initials for the Herbert Packard company.
  3. #83  
    cuz herb was born before H and P met? Wow, that's older than me, even! (grin)
  4. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, I disagree completely. He started off with the the generalization at the beginning = "Using Best Buy as a good example, people will go into the store looking to purchase an iPad or Xoom because that is what they've heard of.". Then he gave the example of his wife, and followed that up with THAT's an average consumer.

    No, that's his wife. There are too many different consumers to say that any one (or even a somewhat large group) represents the "average consumer".

    The OP asked for reasons, they were given. Most of the reasons given were compelling resons to one degree or another.

    If by "average consumer", we're going to narrow it down to one defined user, then there is no compelling reason, we all need to do what the heard does, and buy an iPad, in which case it was a troll post.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Thank you for confirming what I thought.

    You make an excellent post, the HP TouchPad is likely to sell fewer than the iPad for that reason (among others).

    But, that wasn't the topic being discussed.

    Hope you can see my point.

    We can all sit around and think of lots of reasons (mostly insurmountable reasons, at least at first) why the TP will sell less than the iPad (at first), but that wasn't the question asked.

    So, now that you've decided why it won't sell as many, can you think of of any compelling reasons an average user would buy a TouchPad?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem is that so many users in the past have turned every discussion into why vxyz (usually ipad) is better, and why TouchPad (or Palm/HP in general) will fail. This is turning to be more of the same.

    As far as telling other views, I don't have a problem with that. If someone had said "I don't see any reason for the average customer to buy", that's fine. I really don't know why such a person would be perusing a TouchPad forum though, other than to troll.

    And yeah, that's what this thread is starting to look like. Another iPad-troll thread.
    Sounds to me as though you will shoot down anything anyone says that does not meet your exacting standards. Since we cannot satisfy whatever your definition of an "average customer" is, what's the point of your hanging about and arguing with everyone. So, let me directly address the OP’s post. There is NO reason that the average person, who has no loyalty to any manufacturer or detailed knowledge of any OS, would walk into any outlet and buy the Touchpad unless HP addresses certain issues that I and others have tried to speak to already , for the reasons I and others here have stated in past posts. Perhaps some of us were just agreeing with the OP, “I can't think of any distinct reasons (other than OS) why Average Joe would walk into Best Buy and choose a 'virgin' product like Touchpad over the extremely established iPad. Other than TTS and Synergy…”

    Sorry if the way some of us have chosen to express ourselves also does not meet your exacting standards.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Most of the mainstream consumers who heavily boast about Apples large app store only have about 5 apps total on their iGadget At least the people “I” know. I guess the perception of having access to apps is more influential than using them.

    I like HP's thought process in reaching out to developers with most essential apps. Hope this type of R&D gives room for return on investment.
    I have downloaded so many apps that I had to clean up my home pages with folders. The iPad has less than the iPhone, but I still have 4 home pages. My friend is a non-techie and has more apps than I do!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I haven't used the devices side by side so it's hard to say about how they feel in your hand and look next to each other. If everything remains as it currently is:

    +Touch to share
    +Multitasking UI
    +Operating System
    +Forwarding Calls
    +Flash Video

    -No HDMI Out
    -Lack of apps
    -Not Apple
    -Expensive

    The video out problem is just a critical oversight for me personally. No video out means no TouchPad for me.
    What about that HDMI out dongle or dock I thought i saw rumored?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Sounds to me as though you will shoot down anything anyone says that does not meet your exacting standards. Since we cannot satisfy whatever your definition of an "average customer" is, what's the point of your hanging about and arguing with everyone. So, let me directly address the OP’s post. There is NO reason that the average person, who has no loyalty to any manufacturer or detailed knowledge of any OS, would walk into any outlet and buy the Touchpad unless HP addresses certain issues that I and others have tried to speak to already , for the reasons I and others here have stated in past posts. Perhaps some of us were just agreeing with the OP, “I can't think of any distinct reasons (other than OS) why Average Joe would walk into Best Buy and choose a 'virgin' product like Touchpad over the extremely established iPad. Other than TTS and Synergy…”

    Sorry if the way some of us have chosen to express ourselves also does not meet your exacting standards.
    I'm back to one of the questions I had originally then - why are you here?

    Let me elaborate first though. If the OP was a genuine inquiry, and not simply a troll, then there have been several answers as to why.

    You (and a few others) seem intent on making the argument as to "why not". That wasn't the question. You may not see any reasons, but several others have offered some.

    There are compelling reasons to buy a TouchPad over an iPad. There are also compelling reasons to buy an iPad over a TouchPad (but that wasn't the question.)

    Some folks on here seem intent on insisting there aren't any compelling reasons to buy a TouchPad over the iPad.

    I strongly suspect, that was the intended goal of the OP.
    Last edited by hparsons; 06/13/2011 at 07:07 PM.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Nope, I disagree completely. He started off with the the generalization at the beginning = "Using Best Buy as a good example, people will go into the store looking to purchase an iPad or Xoom because that is what they've heard of.". Then he gave the example of his wife, and followed that up with THAT's an average consumer.

    No, that's his wife. There are too many different consumers to say that any one (or even a somewhat large group) represents the "average consumer".

    The OP asked for reasons, they were given. Most of the reasons given were compelling resons to one degree or another.

    If by "average consumer", we're going to narrow it down to one defined user, then there is no compelling reason, we all need to do what the heard does, and buy an iPad, in which case it was a troll post.
    How is that likely untrue about Best Buy? It's almost pretty certain that people will go for what they know. Although you could also add the PlayBook and Galaxy Tab to that list, people may have heard of those too.

    His wife is also a good example of an average consumer. Not too techie, knows the main brands in passing, will likely consider what she heard about, not the unknown. She hears "less apps" after getting bombarded with the App Store ads and promotion. Is lukewarm about buying what's different than the now norm. Like it or not, people want apps.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I dont think they have to be mad at apple. Some folks just want to be unique. I wasnt mad at Acura when I bought a Saab. But i'm the only one in my neignborhood that drives a Saab.
    I don't think most people care enough to be mad a given company but you essentially made my point in that you did something that most people in you're neighborhood did not.

    You're the only one that bought a Saab. Nothing wrong with a Saab. But. If you replace touchpad and ipad with "Will the average car buyer in your neighborhood buy a Saab over an Acura the answer would, from you're example be no, since you're the only one that bought the Saab and i'm left to assume since you wanted to be different from the rest the others bought Acuras. Now i'd bet even more bought Camry's but the point is the average person didn't buy a Saab. I don't think for a minute HP wants to be like Saabs, selling to a tiny portion of the public that just don't want to be like everyone else. I'd bet HP would much rather have a product that everyone wants to have.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Taking this to the running water and electricity is clearly outside of the point I was making.

    My point was when you speak of the general tech consumer, most of them don't own iOS product. When I think of the general tablet consumer, I am thinking of someone that may have bought other HP devices before, someone who has never been drawn to apple products so they still aren't now (not about bucking trend at all times). Someone who may have looked at netbooks and wants something portable. In the worldwide electronics market there are many reasons the average consumer may not be attracted to the iPad as the initial device.

    HP looks to be doing a great job with the kiosks they are setting up in BB, with attracting those people that may not have looked at a tablet before. If they can continue to market WebOS, these are the "average consumers" I was speaking of. Those that may have ignored the iPad or have ignored tablets all together up to this point (for various reasons).

    So this time they will actually sell their product and forget the soft approach? That's good IMO, because they have to make people take notice.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #91  
    Most consumers do not own iPads or iPhones. There are more dumb phones sold every year than smartphones. There is still a huge growth oppertunity for all the players. What's to get someone to buy the TouchPad over the iPad? Well, the marketing and branding campaign are going to play a big role in that. The user experience will also play a huge role. If HP can release a product that offers the consumer a better experience, they'll be OK. Also, HP is making a major play for the enterprise customer and trying to bridge the enterprise, the prosumer, and consumer together. This is a marathon and not a sprint.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What about that HDMI out dongle or dock I thought i saw rumored?
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell, Definition of Awesomeness
    If everything remains as it currently is:
    There has been nothing confirmed. As it sits on the spec sheets at the moment, there is no video out capability for the TouchPad.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Most consumers do not own iPads or iPhones. There are more dumb phones sold every year than smartphones. There is still a huge growth oppertunity for all the players. What's to get someone to buy the TouchPad over the iPad? Well, the marketing and branding campaign are going to play a big role in that. The user experience will also play a huge role. If HP can release a product that offers the consumer a better experience, they'll be OK. Also, HP is making a major play for the enterprise customer and trying to bridge the enterprise, the prosumer, and consumer together. This is a marathon and not a sprint.
    I love these posts. If it wasn't so off topic, I'd explain logically why, in my opinion, you're very wrong.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    That just looks really lame. Sorry. Holding up an ipad like a steering wheel? Lol!!
    I have actually gotten to try this out, and its far from lame. I was really impressed.
  15. #95  
    One of the reasons Apple is so successful is the Apple Store. Each of these stores is loaded with employees that both tell you and show you how great Apple's products are. Also, the consumer knows if they ever had an issue with their device, they can bring it right back to any Apple Store (i have done this many times).

    HP will rely on uninterested best buy employees to sell the Touchpad, and usually one demo device that doesn't turn on.
  16. #96  
    And where did you disappear to?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    ...HP will rely on uninterested best buy employees to sell the Touchpad, and usually one demo device that doesn't turn on.
    That, and the literally hundreds of reps that sell directly to enterprises.

    As I figured it would, this thread has quickly devolved to yet another "Apple owns the IT world, and HP can't/shouldn't even try, because they will fail" piece of drivel.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And where did you disappear to?
    I have had nothing to say.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That, and the literally hundreds of reps that sell directly to enterprises.

    As I figured it would, this thread has quickly devolved to yet another "Apple owns the IT world, and HP can't/shouldn't even try, because they will fail" piece of drivel.

    Companies don't buy tablets. Consumers do, and then they bring them to work.

    I do not think HP "shouldn't even try". I just mentioned a reason why I believe Apple has a huge advantage.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Companies don't buy tablets. Consumers do, and then they bring them to work.

    I do not think HP "shouldn't even try". I just mentioned a reason why I believe Apple has a huge advantage.
    Companies will buy tablets, Apple just hasn't been very successful marketing to them. That's one area where HP has an advantage.

    As far as Apple having a huge advantage, I don't think anyone is saying they don't. That wasn't the topic, it's just want a few detractors have tried to turn the discussion to.

Posting Permissions