Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 180
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I think TouchStone should've been included in the package.
    Here's hoping HP sponsors some launch bundles to help start sales rolling.
  2. #62  
    All this discussion about average consumer.

    The average consumer doesn't own an iOS device (speaking world wide here). Even if you include iphone I would still say the average consumer doesn't own an iOS device. Far more PC users, far more other types of cell phones.

    Before someone says it, of course I am not including standard iPods, but if you want to count iPods for example. My wife and I both own one, her mom bought her a nano years ago (collecting dust somewhere), I had a mini my mom bought me years ago mini is gone, I now have a used shuffle from my wife's mom that is sitting on my desk in my office I haven't put music on it yet.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #63  
    Sorry hparsons. Long story short. Fewer apps = fewer Touchpads sold to Average consumer.

    Thanks for your support Diva.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    All this discussion about average consumer.

    The average consumer doesn't own an iOS device (speaking world wide here). Even if you include iphone I would still say the average consumer doesn't own an iOS device.
    Weren’t we all just assuming that we were talking about the average consumer *that is looking to buy a tablet* when making these comments.

    Honestly, if we’re just here to wax philosophically about the median person on the planet, chances are the “average” consumer doesn’t even have running water and electricity…

    It’s pretty safe to assume (but by no means should anyone call it a fact, lest they incur the anger of the self-designated-forum-vigilantes) that if a person is thinking about getting a tablet, they decide whether or not they want to get an ipad first before looking at the others.

    The vast majority of Android users (and likely a large majority of TP waiters) have said something along the lines of “I don’t want an Ipad, so I’m going to go look at this device.”

    The rest go to the store with an open mind to compare the ipad with the other options before choosing. Either way, the ipad is always a consideration.


    And hparsons, sorry but other people having views that are different than yours is something you’re just going to have to deal with. Stop telling us we aren’t answering the OPs question just because we aren’t saying what you want to hear. The OP isn’t here looking for a specific answer to a problem he/she is having. The person started a topic and general conversation about it ensued. If you want to only hear specific comments, write a script and hire some actors.

    -Suntan
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Using Best Buy as a good example, people will go into the store looking to purchase an iPad or Xoom because that is what they've heard of. They'll see that there are other devices available, and they'll start to play with them. Hopefully the Touchpad is one of them. If it is, people will start to ask the people working at the store about the Touchpad. They store clerks may or may not know how to use the Touchpad. However, what they will tell people is that there are many more apps available for the iPad or Android devices than are offered for the touchpad. Like it or not, the AVERAGE consumer is NOT going to buy the Touchpad for the OS. They're going to buy it for what they PERCEIVE it can do. Fewer apps equates to fewer capabilities for the AVERAGE consumer.

    My wife is an average consumer. She knows little and cares less about the OS or manufacturer. Her comment was, "I'd probably buy the iPad because I know the name and lot of people own them. They also have a lot of apps and stuff to go with it." I asked her if she'd buy a Touchpad. I told her that the OS was better, and I showed her some of the videos available on line. I also said that it's probably slightly thicker and heavier. I let her know that it had significantly fewer apps available right now. While she thought the "touching thing" with the phone was cool, she wasn't in the market for a new phone. She said that she might have more interest if there were more apps.

    THAT's an average consumer. It doesn't matter that we think the majority of apps available are useless. It's the perception that more is better. That will be a big mountain for HP to climb. Hey, Betamax had a better picture quality than VHS. Who won that? The system with more available. Not the perfect analogy, but you get the point. I love WebOS. But, if you want to run with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy.
    Most of the mainstream consumers who heavily boast about Apples large app store only have about 5 apps total on their iGadget At least the people “I” know. I guess the perception of having access to apps is more influential than using them.

    I like HP's thought process in reaching out to developers with most essential apps. Hope this type of R&D gives room for return on investment.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Sorry hparsons. Long story short. Fewer apps = fewer Touchpads sold to Average consumer.

    Thanks for your support Diva.
    I agree! All though I only need access to "All essential apps", the average Joe seems to always need a half million to choose from. I have an iPad 2 and have under 10 apps downloaded. Funny thing is they are apps to help me complete tasks in a shorter time period that the OS can't do on its own. Apple has this idea down solid!
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    All this discussion about average consumer.

    The average consumer doesn't own an iOS device...iphone ...PC users...cell phones.

    ...if you want to count iPod....
    I think this thread and this discussion is focused on the average tablet consumer not ios in general or those other devices. Sort of like if you're talking about the Pre 3 and the discussion of the "average consumer" you understand that most people still have dumb phones but that You're pretty much talking about the average person that is interested in a smart phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Most of the mainstream consumers who heavily boast about Apples large app store only have about 5 apps total on their iGadget At least the people “I” know.
    The tough thing though is those 5 apps are not the same for every person or every business. Netflix and Pandora may be a must have for one consumer but not the others. Like i don't use either. And from a business perspective if, say, Proctor and Gamble is thinking of buying 2000 tablets and is looking for a way to manage warehouse inventory or have something for it's outside sales reps to use while on the road to monitor territory supplies netflix and Pandora are not on the list of requirements. JP Morgan may need neither but they may want something that can get specific financial statistics in real time. So access to lots of app options means you potentially appeal to more consumers. It just broadens your product's appeal.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/13/2011 at 04:36 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I think TouchStone should've been included in the package.
    Would an average cunsumer choose TouchPad because of a free TouchStone?
    I don't think so. How about pre-loading TouchPad with premium apps?
    That will counter the perception TouchPad lacks in apps when perspective buyers play with it in a shop or view the specs online.
  9. #69  
    The biggest feature is that it isn't from Apple. There are many people that want to buck the popular trend in cars, phones, whatever.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The biggest feature is that it isn't from Apple. There are many people that want to buck the popular trend in cars, phones, whatever.
    HP TouchPad: The Tablet For Hipsters
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The biggest feature is that it isn't from Apple. There are many people that want to buck the popular trend in cars, phones, whatever.
    I'm sure there are many people that feel just that way. I just don't think the average tablet consumers are out there angry at apple, hp, microsoft, Google or any other specific company and i don't think the average tablet buyers is trying not to be popular and trendy. In fact i think they and people in general want to belong and are trying to be part of the trend not buck it.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I'm sure there are many people that feel just that way. I just don't think the average tablet consumers are out there angry at apple, hp, microsoft, Google or any other specific company and i don't think the average tablet buyers is trying not to be popular and trendy. In fact i think they and people in general want to belong and are trying to be part of the trend not buck it.
    I dont think they have to be mad at apple. Some folks just want to be unique. I wasnt mad at Acura when I bought a Saab. But i'm the only one in my neignborhood that drives a Saab.
  13. #73  
    I haven't used the devices side by side so it's hard to say about how they feel in your hand and look next to each other. If everything remains as it currently is:

    +Touch to share
    +Multitasking UI
    +Operating System
    +Forwarding Calls
    +Flash Video

    -No HDMI Out
    -Lack of apps
    -Not Apple
    -Expensive

    The video out problem is just a critical oversight for me personally. No video out means no TouchPad for me.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The biggest feature is that it isn't from Apple.
    How about the biggest feature is that it is very different from iPad 1?
    More than half of people I know that own iPad 1 have no desire to upgrade to an iPad2.

    Some are just waiting for the iPad2 jailbreak to be available, but most of them didn't find enough incentives, many don't consider the reduced weight (good for touchpad) important, and don't do much graphic intensive gaming.

    So they will hold on their iPad1 probably until the next gen of iPad. I think that's a group HP can target. Don't try to replace their iPad1 but sell TouchPad as a faster / better / different tablet than iPad1 and hope that group of people will grow warm to webOS and TouchPad over time.

    Those people may even care less about the lack of particular apps on webOS, since they can always resort to their iPad1.
    Last edited by rickwestland; 06/13/2011 at 06:18 PM.
  15. #75  
    if someone has an ipad1 already, i dont think they will jump to the TouchPad in any volume.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They didn't debut exclusively at Wal-Mart, they're going to be in multiple (many) retail locations.

    The only reason they should sell for less (from HP's viewpoint) is if they can't successfully sell at this price point. No one really knows that yet (though many apparently think they do).

    If we're just talking what we "want", I'd prefer they just give them away, at least to folks with matching initials.

    Your real name is Hewlett Parsons?! What were your folks thinking?!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Don't be so defensive. He answered about one average consumer's reaction when he tired to get her to consider the TouchPad.

    I'll say one thing, there must be a display model available for on the floor testing.
    Nope, I disagree completely. He started off with the the generalization at the beginning = "Using Best Buy as a good example, people will go into the store looking to purchase an iPad or Xoom because that is what they've heard of.". Then he gave the example of his wife, and followed that up with THAT's an average consumer.

    No, that's his wife. There are too many different consumers to say that any one (or even a somewhat large group) represents the "average consumer".

    The OP asked for reasons, they were given. Most of the reasons given were compelling resons to one degree or another.

    If by "average consumer", we're going to narrow it down to one defined user, then there is no compelling reason, we all need to do what the heard does, and buy an iPad, in which case it was a troll post.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Sorry hparsons. Long story short. Fewer apps = fewer Touchpads sold to Average consumer.

    Thanks for your support Diva.
    Thank you for confirming what I thought.

    You make an excellent post, the HP TouchPad is likely to sell fewer than the iPad for that reason (among others).

    But, that wasn't the topic being discussed.

    Hope you can see my point.

    We can all sit around and think of lots of reasons (mostly insurmountable reasons, at least at first) why the TP will sell less than the iPad (at first), but that wasn't the question asked.

    So, now that you've decided why it won't sell as many, can you think of of any compelling reasons an average user would buy a TouchPad?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

    And hparsons, sorry but other people having views that are different than yours is something you’re just going to have to deal with. Stop telling us we aren’t answering the OPs question just because we aren’t saying what you want to hear. The OP isn’t here looking for a specific answer to a problem he/she is having. The person started a topic and general conversation about it ensued. If you want to only hear specific comments, write a script and hire some actors.

    -Suntan
    The problem is that so many users in the past have turned every discussion into why vxyz (usually ipad) is better, and why TouchPad (or Palm/HP in general) will fail. This is turning to be more of the same.

    As far as telling other views, I don't have a problem with that. If someone had said "I don't see any reason for the average customer to buy", that's fine. I really don't know why such a person would be perusing a TouchPad forum though, other than to troll.

    And yeah, that's what this thread is starting to look like. Another iPad-troll thread.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Weren’t we all just assuming that we were talking about the average consumer *that is looking to buy a tablet* when making these comments.

    Honestly, if we’re just here to wax philosophically about the median person on the planet, chances are the “average” consumer doesn’t even have running water and electricity…

    It’s pretty safe to assume (but by no means should anyone call it a fact, lest they incur the anger of the self-designated-forum-vigilantes) that if a person is thinking about getting a tablet, they decide whether or not they want to get an ipad first before looking at the others.

    The vast majority of Android users (and likely a large majority of TP waiters) have said something along the lines of “I don’t want an Ipad, so I’m going to go look at this device.”

    The rest go to the store with an open mind to compare the ipad with the other options before choosing. Either way, the ipad is always a consideration.
    Taking this to the running water and electricity is clearly outside of the point I was making.

    My point was when you speak of the general tech consumer, most of them don't own iOS product. When I think of the general tablet consumer, I am thinking of someone that may have bought other HP devices before, someone who has never been drawn to apple products so they still aren't now (not about bucking trend at all times). Someone who may have looked at netbooks and wants something portable. In the worldwide electronics market there are many reasons the average consumer may not be attracted to the iPad as the initial device.

    HP looks to be doing a great job with the kiosks they are setting up in BB, with attracting those people that may not have looked at a tablet before. If they can continue to market WebOS, these are the "average consumers" I was speaking of. Those that may have ignored the iPad or have ignored tablets all together up to this point (for various reasons).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Posting Permissions