Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I think TouchStone should've been included in the package.
    Audio apps. Right now ios is the only mobile os with true low latency audio. Get that on webos and a true alternative to ipad.

Garageband/amplitube apps plus beats audio would be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    ... Other than TTS and Synergy, what is the Touchpad bringing to the table that you just can't get on an iPad?
    • Flash
    • An OS designed from the ground up for multi-tasking
    • An alternative (some folks just don't like following the crowd)

Those come to mind pretty quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    android tab already does that, doesn't seem to be helping sales significantly.
    Which, of course, has nothing to do with the question asked.

Those are legitmate answers. Possibly there were reasons the Android devices sales were poor.
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    They really needed to come down on price. The argument that they need to be seen as "not being cheap" kinda went out the window when they signed the deal to push them at wal-mart...
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    They really needed to come down on price. The argument that they need to be seen as "not being cheap" kinda went out the window when they signed the deal to push them at wal-mart...
    Yeah, because being in Walmart has made everyone believe iphones and ipads are cheap.
    Global Posts
    835 Global Posts
    They did not debut in wal-mart.

Look, I"m not saying they shouldn't be in wal-mart. I'm saying the price should be lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    They did not debut in wal-mart.

Look, I"m not saying they shouldn't be in wal-mart. I'm saying the price should be lower.
    They didn't debut exclusively at Wal-Mart, they're going to be in multiple (many) retail locations.

The only reason they should sell for less (from HP's viewpoint) is if they can't successfully sell at this price point. No one really knows that yet (though many apparently think they do).

If we're just talking what we "want", I'd prefer they just give them away, at least to folks with matching initials.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    • An alternative (some folks just don't like following the crowd)

Every marketerís dreamÖ Target the group of consumers that, by definition, ensures any popularity in your product also guarantees sales declinesÖ

The fact is, thereís nothing currently outlined about the TP that would justify it to the average person that has no preconceived notions about either company.

Successful sales will takes what they always take in this situation, boat-loads of cash in the form of advertising and unique *marketable* features (multi-tasking for the sake of multi-tasking isnít one of them) of which the TP currently has very few. J6P could be convinced that TTS is a desired feature, but they donít have any phones that allow that. Call/text sharing between tablet and phone is one, but again they donít currently offer any phones that allow for that.

-Suntan
    "Flash What is that?"

So I don't believe that... anyone who's really used the internet has been asked by their browser to update flash to view their content. They may not know what it does, but they recognize the name and need for it.

This is KEY in the absence of apps. Apple has done a superb job of getting around the web, by making people use apps when the web interface would be fine if it could be run in the browser.

"An OS designed from the ground up for multi-tasking What is that?"
    Okay... take the demo game they keep showing. Go answer an e-mail. Go back to the game. Did you crash? Yes, because the game was still running.

Can you run a search in your e-mail and google at the same time? Yes, because the tasks aren't paused on the Touchpad. Again Apple has done a good job at hiding this because core features can multitask and many others it makes sense to pause on leaving.

"An alternative Actually, I want what everyone else has."

I agree this is a somewhat weak point. It depends on the individual. Some would be weak willed and would want what others have.

If you explain that what you are getting is a better experience some would buck the trend. So basically I agree that it's salesman training and/or good ads and marketing material at the display.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately. While I plan on buying a Touchpad, I can't think of any distinct reasons (other than OS) why Average Joe would walk into Best Buy and choose a 'virgin' product like Touchpad over the extremely established iPad. Other than TTS and Synergy, what is the Touchpad bringing to the table that you just can't get on an iPad?
    The biggest driving force among the sheeply masses is when an individual sees a trend among peers... mustn't have independant thoughts. After all it's hard work being like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    The fact is, thereís nothing currently outlined about the TP that would justify it to the average person that has no preconceived notions about either company.
    You've made the classic mistake of assuming that your personal opinion is "fact". It's not, it's an opinion.

The OP asked for opinions on what would make the average consumer choose touchpad over the iPad. I'm assuming it was a legitimate question, and gave appropriate answers.

If it wasn't, and was just a "troll-thread" meant to garner responses such as yours, then your response would be appropriate. Of course, that would mean the post would not have been.

Their will be many average consumers that choose a TouchPad over an iPad. That's my opinion, but if it happens, then those average people will have disproven your opinion that was asserted as "fact".
    its just a stepping stone- that's how hp and webos fans will have to look at the touchpad's prospects.

there is no way that the touchpad will outsell the ipad...probably ever. But, it CAN outsell the playbook, the xoom, and the samsung galaxy tab, if hp sells and advertises this right, AND actually delivers a product that works and works well without annoying bugs, hardware failures, and the like. Nothing is wrong with being number 2 esp if it brings a company a profit.
    Lower price. It's ALWAYS been why people choose HP devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Average consumer:
    In that case, those people wouldn't be shopping for a TouchPad, they'd be shopping for an iPad.

But again, that's not everyone, and for some customers (even "average customers") there are reasons to "not be like everyone else".
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Lower price. It's ALWAYS been why people choose HP devices.
    "ALWAYS" is pretty all-encompassing; and, of course, WRONG.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Every time I've been in a Best Buy store, far more people are in the PC computer section than are in the Apple section. That alone means a lot more people will be able to compare TouchPad versus the Android tablets in the area.
    Yes, but i think that's because more people use PCs. At every Best Buy i've ever been to there are way more people using ipads then the xooms, galaxy tabs, and other tabs. More PC users does not translate into tablet sales any more then it translates into Windows phone 7 users.

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I don't know if the iPad is locked up under glass at Best Buy, but retailers like Walmart and Target have it sitting behind glass showing a demo.
    At Best Buy, Ipad 2s are fully working on display, so people can actually use them, often i dedicated areas. They usually have third party apps loaded up too. They are not under glass though in any Best Buy i've ever been too. Normally they have a very similar set up to how they are displayed in Apple stores, That is, Apple tables, Apple displays, and they aren't bolted down so people can handle them. Probably to accentuate the thinness and tactile experience.

Quote Originally Posted by baloo247 View Post
    Audio apps. Right now ios is the only mobile os with true low latency audio. Get that on webos and a true alternative to ipad.

Garageband/amplitube apps plus beats audio would be awesome
    Agreed. Sadly i'm not holding my breath for Amplitube as it's not on Android yet. Apparently it's because the Android OS has problems with low latency audio that haven't been fully fixed. Don't know if it would be an issue with Touchpads but It could factor into whether to release such an app on webos. At this point i'm in the "i'll believe it when i see it mode when it comes to apps." May still come but i'll believe it when i see it. But there's a discussion of the latency issues with android here. if you're interested. IK Multimedia Forums • View topic - FAQ: AmpliTube iRig for Android? But yeah, right now the audio creation software is pretty thick on the ipad side.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Using Best Buy as a good example, people will go into the store looking to purchase an iPad or Xoom because that is what they've heard of. They'll see that there are other devices available, and they'll start to play with them. Hopefully the Touchpad is one of them. If it is, people will start to ask the people working at the store about the Touchpad. The store clerks may or may not know how to use the Touchpad. However, what they will tell people is that there are many more apps available for the iPad or Android devices than are offered for the touchpad. Like it or not, the AVERAGE consumer is NOT going to buy the Touchpad for the OS. They're going to buy it for what they PERCEIVE it can do. Fewer apps equates to fewer capabilities for the AVERAGE consumer.

My wife is an average consumer. She knows little and cares less about the OS or manufacturer. Her comment was, "I'd probably buy the iPad because I know the name and lot of people own them. They also have a lot of apps and stuff to go with it." I asked her if she'd buy a Touchpad. I told her that the OS was better, and I showed her some of the videos available on line. I also said that it's probably slightly thicker and heavier. I let her know that it had significantly fewer apps available right now. While she thought the "touching thing" with the phone was cool, she wasn't in the market for a new phone. She said that she might have more interest if there were more apps.

THAT's an average consumer. It doesn't matter that we think the majority of apps available are useless. It's the perception that more is better. That will be a big mountain for HP to climb. Hey, Betamax had a better picture quality than VHS. Who won that? The system with more available. Not the perfect analogy, but you get the point. I love WebOS. But, if you want to run with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy.
    Last edited by fwinst; 06/13/2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Using Best Buy as a good example, people will go into the store looking to purchase an iPad or Xoom because that is what they've heard of.
    I love WebOS. But, if you want to run with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy.
    Great big long post, but it apparently didn't answer the OP's question.
    Yes, there are lots of compelling reasons to buy an iPad. That wasn't the question.
    Your response seems to say there are no compelling reasons for the average customer to buy a TouchPad instead, but you seem to have posted a lot just to say "there are no reasons".
    Don't be so defensive. He answered about one average consumer's reaction when he tired to get her to consider the TouchPad.

I'll say one thing, there must be a display model available for on the floor testing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast